in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-27-2012 4:41 AM by tournedos. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-26-2012 3:42 PM

Mains cable for Beogram 4000

Hi,

Just trying to get my Beogram 4000 in top notch condition. The Mains lead has been cut down many times by previous users as it is about 6 inches long now. I was thinking of replacing the mains lead becasue of this as well as the RCA lead as this has been converted to standard RCA connectors and botched quite badly.

Any advice?

I was thinking of using Lapp Olflex Classic Mains Cable (about 2 metres with a silver plated plug) not too sure if i should use the same for the connection cable. Also, im not sure if i should replace the original connection, then use an adapter to my non B&O am or just use RCA connectors. Is that a little sacrilegious?

Comments and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

• 01-26-2012 3:57 PM In reply to

Re: Mains cable for Beogram 4000

Using anything "high-end" for the mains cable is a total waste of money. Whenever I need to replace one, I use one with a molded mains plug from a store that sells such things, ~2-3 euros per piece. You'll never hear any difference (and neither will anybody else) and I don't think there's much difference to see either - I hide mains cables the best I can...

For the signal cable, I don't believe much in that hoo-hah, but anyway it makes no sense to install something clearly inferior if you're going to replace it anyway. Unless you are going to install an all original cable, it's of course up to you what kind of connectors you want to use. I'd use whatever fits your amp/receiver directly, if you plan on keeping the deck yourself.

Remember that you need to run the extra ground wire from the chassis, if you end up using RCA connectors. In DIN cables/connectors, it is connected to the sleeve.

-mika

• 01-26-2012 6:08 PM In reply to

Yes i see your point. The cable i had chosen was only £10 for a couple of metres anyway. 

Im sure the difference cant be heard really with much more expensive cable.

What kind of cable would you use for the signal cable?

Tom

• 01-26-2012 8:58 PM In reply to

Tomkellett:

Yes i see your point. The cable i had chosen was only £10 for a couple of metres anyway. 

Im sure the difference cant be heard really with much more expensive cable.

Tom

From BG to BM use closest you can get to the original, means not too long, and end in the 5 pin DIN male, if you need RCA plugs, get a 5 pin DIN female, ending in 2 RCA with an "extra" ground cable, that way you keep it original and flexible.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 01-27-2012 4:12 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

For your mains cable there is always an option of picking up something like a cord 1900 and stripping for the lead? Much nicer to keep an original than put something that has obviously been changed.

And really, using exotic stuff if it makes you happy great but otherwise don't expect to hear a difference in a double blind test!

Olly.

• 01-27-2012 4:41 AM In reply to

Tomkellett:

The original style round, double shielded cable may be a bit hard to find (and impossible to terminate nicely in a pair of RCA connectors, so in that case I would use a DIN + and adapter). That might be easiest to salvage from some other junked Beogram, as Olly suggested for the mains cable.

If you're going to use RCAs anyway, I think I would just get a decent quality RCA interconnect cable, snap off the connectors from one end and install that (plus the extra ground wire). As I recall the cable terminates around the front corner of the Beogram, so you'll need some 30 cm extra length in addition to what remains outside the deck.

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)