in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-23-2011 5:34 AM by Vienna. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-04-2011 7:51 AM

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Electrostatic noise when touching the speaker cables

Hi all!

I have a setup with BV3-32 and BL8000 as front and BL6000 as rear speakers in my living room.
    When I turn on the TV, I have setup the TV to turn slighty to the right to optimize my viewing position and sometimes, it seem when the speaker cables moves with the TV and touches eachother I get a loud cracking, electrostatic noise.

The same fenomenon happenens when touching either of the four signal cables, but usually I can get rid of it when moving them carefully to a spot where the distortion stops. It is extremely sensitive and happens from time to time since I like to use the motorstand.

The cables are fairly new ( and I get the same problem with my AV 9000 with BL 5000/BL5000 from time to time in my bedrom, connected to a different power circuit) so I doubt it is a cable issue.

Does it have something to do with the grounding? I have used a long powercable from my ktichen that has ground in it, but I also have a lot of stuff on the same circuit ( BV3-32, BL8000, BS2300, BG3300+RIAA, DVD1, Apple TV, Cable Modem, STB, Apple Airport Extreme, External HDD, is there something in here that might cause the problem?) The rear spears BL6000 are on another, non grounded circuit. 

An electrician friend of mine said there might be some bad grounding in the house, that its actually "leaking" power...

Any ideas, tips and tricks are welcome!

/Peter

• 09-04-2011 10:07 AM In reply to

Re: Electrostatic noise when touching the speaker cables

The first thing I would try is earthing the aerial - this can give a myriad of odd symptoms.

• 09-04-2011 10:40 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Hi Peter,

How do I do that?

I recently bought a hi-quality cable (90dB) and picture is perfect..I also have a antenna cable for FM radio in the BS2300, can that also have effect, since its all connected ( speakers on the TV though)

So, how do you I ground the areal? Is there some kind of adapter you can recommend, and in that case, do I need to do it on both the TV and FM antennas?

Thanks!

/Peter

• 09-04-2011 10:53 AM In reply to

have you tried to reseat the PL cables in the BV? try it while it's on to see if it might be a loose socket in the BV? odd that it happens on the other system as well. might be worth it to re-inspect the cables for a knick in them...

BV7-40 MKIV, BeoVision Avant 32, BeoVision 8-32, BeoLab Penta MKIII, BeoLab 6000 x 3, BeoSound 9000 MKIII, BeoLab 7-4, BeoSound 4000, BeoPort, BeoVox S45-2, ML/MCL Convertors, A8's & Form 2's. 

• 09-04-2011 2:55 PM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Hi BeoMegaMan,

Yes, That was one of the things i tried initially, thinking it was either the cables or the socket..but its strange it happens on all cables..and even, if not as bad, also on the other system. That made me suspect it could be something with the power or the grounding..

I had a similar strange problem some years ago when connecting a PC with a cable directly to the stereo. I got a humming sound in the speakers.
    When I put the PC and the stereo on the same circuit, the problem stopped...thats what makes me think it's something with the power, or the grounding.. 

Any tips on how to make sure the stuff is properly grounded?

/Peter

• 09-04-2011 3:12 PM In reply to

have you isolated the PL cables away from powercords leading to the BV? does it happen in audio and video mode?

BV7-40 MKIV, BeoVision Avant 32, BeoVision 8-32, BeoLab Penta MKIII, BeoLab 6000 x 3, BeoSound 9000 MKIII, BeoLab 7-4, BeoSound 4000, BeoPort, BeoVox S45-2, ML/MCL Convertors, A8's & Form 2's. 

• 09-05-2011 4:03 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

No, I was thinking of how to do that. Since the speaker cables are close to the powercable, 3 scart cables, Aeral and link, all goes down on the back of the TV down into the stand. On the speaker side I use the original rubber thing that separates the power cord and the powerlink cord.

The noise only occurs when touching the powerlink cables in the TV end. It is really hard to separate the cables on the back of the TV since they all are connected almost on the same spot on the back of the TV. I guess if this was a general problem the cables would have been better isolated in the first place or delivered with something that would isolate them, right?

Regarding Audio or Video mode, I am not sure...good point there. The thing is that almost always use Video mode since I more or less always listen to music through my Apple TV. But I will test if I get the same problem using the CD or radio..

Thanks for your help so far!

/Peter

• 09-05-2011 9:17 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Peter:

I had a similar strange problem some years ago when connecting a PC with a cable directly to the stereo.
    I got a humming sound in the speakers.

A clear sign of a "ground loop" >>  PC was connected to the ground/earth via it's power-cable and the music
    system was also grounded via the aerial.

Peter :

The first thing I would try is earthing the aerial - this can give a myriad of odd symptoms.

Peter is absolutely right !

A "galvanic insulation/separation" of the aerial cable(s) with proper grounding of aerial system
    would avoid many problems.  

Since I don't know your elctrical wiring nor your aerial/cable/Sat distribution, the only solution
    will be the assistance of a QUALIFIED technican (beeing able to check both, the electrical as well
    as the antenna installation(s) and measure the earthing/grounding, ...)

For a complex installation absolutely not a DIY-Job

• 09-06-2011 3:33 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Hi Vienna,

You are absolutely right there. I live in a townhouse and we are a 6 houses that share the same central antenna and also internet/IP telephony.
    The houses are built back in 1989 and the electronic wiring and such seems to be made in a hurry, and with low quality cables and contacts.
    I' ve had technicians at my house several times to fix the signal strenght from the central antenna/internet hub to my house. After a few visits, the signal is now 63 dB and I have a brilliant picture on my BV3-32, AV5 and AV9000. However we never talked about the grounding since I thought that was just an electric issue..

I googled "galvanic isolation" and came up lots of interesting stuff, and I realize its quite common that that the electric ground and the aerial ground must be separated. I found a few "galvanic separation adaptors" online and will buy one to check the result. The cost is less than 13 Euros so that might be a cheap solution to an annoying problem, and I hope it doesn't have any negative effect on the picture quality..

Thanks for all the asisstans, guys! I'll let you know if it solved my problem..

/Peter 

• 09-06-2011 7:22 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

B&O is offering a professional & high quality galvanic separator (wall mountable, with grounding lug)
    for approx 35-40 EUR, item #8039004 

If you distribute video sources in standard definition, you might also consider the B&O HF Link-Amplifier
    item #1405366, which, by the way, is needed for all recent types of B&O TVs to distribute video sources
    connected to your main TV.  

• 09-06-2011 7:47 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Thanks, Vienna!

I had no idea B&O had one of those...will check that one out instead. I guess that will make it as good as it gets.

Regarding the HF Link-Amplifier..is that something I need when using Beolink to distribute audio /video?
    I dont use the Beolink between my TV sets,  since my main TV, the BV3-32 doesn't have the output card for the video source needed ( and the cabling between first and second floor is so messy) so I use Apple TVs with each TV set instead..

Or can I use the B&O HF Link-Amplifier just as a signal amplifier for the TV to get even higher picture quality? I am using a "no-name" signal amplifier on the second floor for my AV9000, which helps, but maybe the B&O one is even better...

/Peter

• 09-06-2011 11:18 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

The HF-Link-Amp is only needed to distribute (analogue - standard definition) video -
    Audio is distributed by MasterLink. 

You wrote "... I have a brilliant picture on my BV3-32, AV5 and AV9000 ..."
    If there are no other reasons, I'd stay with the obviously working "no name" amp.  

The main purpose of the B&O HF-Modulation-Amp is it's ability to mix the "returning" signal
    (of sources connected to the main TV) processed by the HF modulator of your main TV
    to the "incoming" signal from your cable provider/shared central antenna.

It also offers gain control to both, the "incoming" as well as the "returning" signal
    from the HF-modulator.

If you use it as an amplifier you'll have 1 x IN and 4 x OUT.

Like the galvanic insolator all connectors a "F" (like the ones for sat)

A small wallbracked for wallmounting is included.    

• 09-21-2011 1:39 PM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for all the help guys!

But, unfortunately the problem persists.. :(

I have now got an galvanic isolator, replaced the aeral cables to high end cables, also replaced the scart cables to some expensive ones.

Still I have the buzzing sound if the powerlink cables are touched or moved when the BV3 is being turned with the motorstand..

I doubt all 5 cables to the speakers (2xBL8000, 2xBL6000, 1xCanton sub) are faulty. I have tried to detach each of them separately to see if it makes a difference, but no. I also tested when using CD or radio. but the problem persists, so its not only when watching TV.

This leaves me thinking it has to be the power wiring in the house that is something wrong with..Maybe buying a UPS would help..?

Any ideas are welcome.

/Peter

• 09-22-2011 3:33 AM In reply to

Try this:

1  BV to stand by. Than make the BV powerless by pressing the button. (below the screen at right side, e few inches from the corner).

2  Push the powercable deep into the BV.

3  Unplug the powerconnector from the wall socket, keep it in your hands, turn 180 and plug it in again.

4  Power up and test

(possible do the same procedure with your Audiocenter)

?hope it helps?

• 09-22-2011 3:39 AM In reply to

• valve1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-27-2009
    • Dublin Ireland
    • Posts 213
    • Gold Member

I would get someone to measure your earth(ground), there are good and bad ones. An other idea would be to set up a test , get an earth rod and cable (not expensive). Then just do a temp set up out the window to your garden. 

• 09-22-2011 3:51 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the suggestions!

I am amazed how much knowledge, information, experience and helpfulness there is here on Beoworld!

I will get back and let you know how it goes when tested..  :)

Thanks!

/Peter

• 09-23-2011 5:34 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Peter:

I doubt all 5 cables to the speakers (2xBL8000, 2xBL6000, 1xCanton sub) are faulty.
    I have tried to detach each of them separately to see if it makes a difference, but no.

The ground/shield of all PL-Cables are connected to the DSS module and "come together" internally. 
    So, if just one cable, plug or socket (speaker as well as DSS module) is faulty, this can influence
    all of the rest. 

You mentioned the problem stays the same when playing CD:
    As long as you can not be sure the earthing is properly done in your systen I'd recommend
    to disconnect ALL antenna cables from ALL audio and video equipment DURING THE TEST
    (just to make sure we dont't follow a red herring).

If the the problem disappears it is very likely an external grounding problem - if it's still
    there ist most probably an internal one (cable/plug/socket or even the electronics of the TV itself) 

I'd also reverse the test procedure by first connecting only a single speaker and then
    adding the 2nd, 3rd, ... 

B&O dealers often have sets of PL cables for "on the fly home demo" - maybe you can
    borrow some cables for testing ... 

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)