in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-15-2011 8:17 AM by tournedos. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-15-2011 7:12 AM

Turntable recommendations

Hi all. Great site with so much information....I've been following it for years.

I'm hoping for some information and recommendations for a turntable.

I have a proposed setup of Beolab 5s (replacing my current BL8000s)  to go with my BS 9000 and mac mini. Im keen on connecting a turntable to the 9000 but have no experience with the Beogram players and haven't had the luxury of trying any. Are some better than others (assuming good condition), and if so why? Do some have a better preamp?

Im considering a non B&O product (such as clearaudio emotion or Rega P3). To those who have compared B &O with newer model turntables (mid-high end), how do the good condition B&O models compare? 

I am open to any suggestions wether it be B&O or other product (including phono preamps) , but ultimately the aim is for the best sound from the Lab 5s.

Any advice and pointers would be great....

Thanks

JR

• 02-15-2011 7:56 AM In reply to

Re: Turntable recommendations

The obvious route would be a Beogram 7000. This has the necessary built in RIAA and would match the BS9000 very well. It has reasonable performance. The problem will always be the cartridge which are moderately expensive.

A slightly more esoteric choice would be the Beogram 6000 quad - classic Jensen design and a good RIAA - can play quad records but totally pointless as the BS9000 only has two channels! However it does stereo very nicely!! Big Smile

As to sound quality - well it depends on your reference. I think Beograms sound very good! The best is my old 3000 Thorens as the bass is more extended but it is a pain from an operational point of view compared to the two mentioned above as it needs special placement, is completely manual and would need an RIAA in your set up. Others tend to have a slightly veiled top end and lack a little ultimate bass - possibly not a bad thing with Beolab 5s!

If you want the very best sound, I would look at something like a Michell Orbe or Gyrodec . However these will require setting up and proper mounting and are, like my 3000, completely manual.

As far as external RIAAs are concerned Graham Slee have a very good name - you can pay as much as you want!!

• 02-15-2011 8:17 AM In reply to

Re: Turntable recommendations

Doctor:
    The obvious route would be a Beogram 7000. This has the necessary built in RIAA and would match the BS9000 very well. It has reasonable performance. The problem will always be the cartridge which are moderately expensive.

Or Beogram 6500, which is exactly the same apart from the text in the front panel. The extra 500 a 7000 would give you will cost time while searching, and a lot of good money as well Wink

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)