in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-13-2011 1:36 PM by Flappo. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-10-2011 7:29 PM

• Hubbe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-03-2011
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

Which TV should I buy?

I´m thinking of buying a new TV. Today I have a Beovision AV9000 that I still think is a fantastic TV. A design icon which I probably will never get rid of. 

For a while I was into buying a BeoVision 8 40 or Beovision10. I've also thought about a used Beovision 5 or Avant 32 RF. Today you can get an Avant 32 RF for almost no moneyCan not say that the HD format is something I prioritize. On the whole, I want a good all round experience with image and sound.

How good is the latest version of Beovision 5? I have read that some have been updated by the owners so that they can display full HDThey are still relatively expensiveSince it is not as proven technology as a CTR screen. I have some concerns over the longevity and the cost to repair it if something breaks.
    How have you reasoned that has been in my situation? I have been reading older post on the forum. There has been some developments on the LCD and Plasma screens the last three years. Plasma is not that common anymore.

• 02-10-2011 7:56 PM In reply to

Re: Which TV should I buy?

Personally, I love the BeoVision 10  32inch. I love its iconic design and size. Think it's about £1000 over priced though.  At the end of the day its a £700 Samsung screen with B&O speakers and nice plastic.   £3500 would be spot on

• 02-11-2011 12:49 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Paul Winn:
     At the end of the day its a £700 Samsung screen with B&O speakers and nice plastic.

You know, I used to think this, too... and I thought those that argued otherwise were deluded... drinking too much B&O kool-aid. 

Then I bought a BV8-40 (primarily for the integration with all my other B&O, and hopefully for long-term reliability - my last TV lasted just 2 yrs), and my thoughts have changed.  The B&O picture processing is simply awesome.  I never appreciated this until I lived with it for a few days. 

True, maybe I'm just deluded too...  placebo effect to justify the cost of the set, but others - who have no idea of B&O - have mentioned this too...  "That's a weird looking TV." shortly followed by "Wow, that's a great picture!"  Nobody says any of this about my Samsung...

Still overpriced, perhaps, but I'm very satisfied (so far) with my purchase.

Stan

• 02-11-2011 1:06 PM In reply to

I'm very enthusiastic about the BV-8, and the 40" one has a wonderful picture.

It depends on where you want to place the TV - I'm looking for a wall to put a BV-10 against, and have a BV-8 on a floor stand.

• 02-11-2011 1:46 PM In reply to

My choice would be an avant  ( I have one) or a bv5 if your living room can take one( they are a big set) 

• 02-11-2011 2:07 PM In reply to

The problem is you aren't going to ever see an independent comparison of a top of the line, CALIBRATED plasma from Samsung (8000 or even 7000 series) or Panasonic (VT series) vs. one of the Beovisions. 

I'm guessing if you did you would be surprised...

• 02-11-2011 2:46 PM In reply to

do tell

• 02-11-2011 2:53 PM In reply to

Paul Winn:
    At the end of the day its a £700 Samsung screen with B&O speakers and nice plastic.

This is so wrong. It's not just a Samsung in a nice cabinet. Yes the screen is from Samsung -but B&O has put a lot of effort into picture processing curcuits. B&O has a long history in making good picture quality in their TV-sets. Back in the "old days" with CRT, they used Philips tubes -but the picture quality was better than Philips own tv's. It's not just the screen -it's the "inner design" -of the curcuits that makes the picture.
    The picture IS better than Samsung's. I have read several test that comes to the same conclusion -but of course there's a lot of "wise" people who knows better.

If the price is too high is another question. 
    Do You know Erik Jørgensen? They make some very expensive furniture. Is it worth paying 5 or 10 times the price for a sofa compared to one from Ikea? Do you sit better in this? For people who likes this sofa it IS worth the price.
    I think a Ferrari is too expensive -but for those who has one it is not. 

• 02-11-2011 3:15 PM In reply to

Steffen:

Paul Winn:

This is so wrong. It's not just a Samsung in a nice cabinet. Yes the screen is from Samsung -but B&O has put a lot of effort into picture processing curcuits. B&O has a long history in making good picture quality in their TV-sets. Back in the "old days" with CRT, they used Philips tubes -but the picture quality was better than Philips own tv's. It's not just the screen -it's the "inner design" -of the curcuits that makes the picture.
    The picture IS better than Samsung's. I have read several test that comes to the same conclusion -but of course there's a lot of "wise" people who knows better.

If the price is too high is another question. 
    Do You know Erik Jørgensen? They make some very expensive furniture. Is it worth paying 5 or 10 times the price for a sofa compared to one from Ikea? Do you sit better in this? For people who likes this sofa it IS worth the price.
    I think a Ferrari is too expensive -but for those who has one it is not. 

Hey all of us like B&O here and the TVs certainly are fantastic in appearance and picture.  However someone must make the panel for these TVs right?   B&O does have some fancy calibrating and picture processing but everyone obviously makes a choice of how much that is worth it for them.  If I had the $$$$ I would buy a B&O TV for sure.

• 02-11-2011 3:33 PM In reply to

The problem is that the flat screen market is developing. I don't think LCD/LED is it. I had a BV10 and it did have a great picture but only OK sound. I now have a BV5 with great sound and a good picture (early one). In fact, better than good. I still have to see a picture as good as my LX on an LCD set though. Now it it is not a fair comparison as the picture is smaller, but I don't really buy the HD revolution, and not having binocular vision means that 3D will completely miss me out! The early LCD sets were awful - not B&O's fault - they were awful by everyone. Plasma is much better but very power hungry.

• 02-11-2011 3:51 PM In reply to

Peter :

The problem is that the flat screen market is developing. I don't think LCD/LED is it. I had a BV10 and it did have a great picture but only OK sound. I now have a BV5 with great sound and a good picture (early one). In fact, better than good. I still have to see a picture as good as my LX on an LCD set though. Now it it is not a fair comparison as the picture is smaller, but I don't really buy the HD revolution, and not having binocular vision means that 3D will completely miss me out! The early LCD sets were awful - not B&O's fault - they were awful by everyone. Plasma is much better but very power hungry.

I agree....I have a 4 year old 52" Sharp LCD (1080p, 120Hz), a 1 year old 55" Samsung LED, and then I went and purchased some older tech Samsung 63" 7000 series plasma.  The plasma blows away the other two.  By a long ways.  It is no wonder if you frequent the forums on AVSFORUMS and such that you will find such a rabid plasma following.  I think the energy usage of plasmas have been overstated as well unless you have your TV on all day.

• 02-12-2011 4:59 PM In reply to

If you are looking at spending upto £500 I would go for a Avant RF 32",

If you are looking at spending £1,000 to £2,000 personally I would recommend a BV-5 (non HD),

If you got between £2,000 and £4,000ish, then I'd try finding a BV-5 HD,

And if you got between £5,000 - £10,000 going spare, personally I'd be looking for a BV-9 beast of a television

Thats just what my preferences would be on different budgets.

Regards,

Michael

BV5, BV Avant, MX4000, MX1500

BS 7000, BS 5500

Penta III, Penta II, BL 4000, RL 60.2,  RL 35, CX-100 Alu

BL 7000, MCP6500, MCP5500,  BL 5000,  Beo4 (x2), BL 1000 (x2)

• 02-12-2011 6:05 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

I have spent the last month looking at replacing our tv for a conservatory, and have had all sorts of troubles trying to find the right one(a Beovision 26 HD that was a actually a Beocentre 23 SD etc! My perfect tv would be the 7-40 but as its mainly for the kids watching Cbeebies and playing their PS3, i bought a Sharp Aquos.

For not one second do i regret spending £800 on what is a good looking 40 inch LED LCD Tv. 4 x HDMI slots excellent HD picture, which we spend 80% of the time watching. The menu was invented by school children ie simple honest and to the point. Setup easy. Sound..ok

I completely agree about the 10-32, it looks the most natural of the 10 series but £4,000? For a relatively small company like B&O i think the next few years will be a case of catch up as things change so rapidly. I just hope B&O doesn't just catch up, for things to then blast of in another direction leaving it floundering behind like the fat weezy kid on a hike! Having had a good look around at the "competition" if people think B&O is overpriced, some of the offerings i saw from Loewe make it look a respectable bargain. Shame because i think it would actually be good for B&O to have somebody trying to snap at their heals, which at the moment isn't the case.

ps the price reduction that has recently happened on one of the aftermarket sellers makes them much more affordable.

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 02-13-2011 4:08 AM In reply to

Bentleyman:

If you are looking at spending upto £500 I would go for a Avant RF 32",

If you are looking at spending £1,000 to £2,000 personally I would recommend a BV-5 (non HD),

If you got between £2,000 and £4,000ish, then I'd try finding a BV-5 HD,

And if you got between £5,000 - £10,000 going spare, personally I'd be looking for a BV-9 beast of a television

Thats just what my preferences would be on different budgets.

Regards,

I would agree with above, but in the £2000-4000 i would have a look at the bv7 aswell

• 02-13-2011 12:54 PM In reply to

Nickyg63:

I would agree with above, but in the £2000-4000 i would have a look at the bv7 aswell

Absolutely Nick I totally agree with you, it all comes down to individual choices of course.

Purely personally the BV-7 dont float my particular boat - but it's fabulous TV no doubt about it Big Smile

Regards

Michael

BV5, BV Avant, MX4000, MX1500

BS 7000, BS 5500

Penta III, Penta II, BL 4000, RL 60.2,  RL 35, CX-100 Alu

BL 7000, MCP6500, MCP5500,  BL 5000,  Beo4 (x2), BL 1000 (x2)

• 02-13-2011 1:36 PM In reply to

I think the bv7 40 without blu ray is a good value tbh.

Shame you lose an hdmi socket whether you have it installed or not though.

Personally I'm completely underwhelmed by blu ray. Slow access , mediocre picture in many cases & really poor UI.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)