in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-09-2010 10:19 AM by j0hnbarker. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-03-2010 12:00 PM

Marching on Together!

Manchester United 0 Leeds United 1

Sorry Scumchester but Leeds did you good and proper today. We'll be back in the big time shortly where we belong at the expense of some of the joke Premier League teams like Wigan who can't get a gate of 9,000 at home unless they're playing a top-four side. We took 9,000 to Old Trafford today and could have taken four times that. Super, super Leeds!!!

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 01-03-2010 4:55 PM In reply to

• JC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Yorkshire / UK
    • Posts 621
    • Founder

Re: Marching on Together!

Well worth the win today John. Nice to see Sir Alex bang on about not enough time added on, only 5 mins Smile

Jonnie

• 01-04-2010 7:46 AM In reply to

John

Have you by any chance been waiting a very long time to make a post like that? DevilDevilDevil

Simon

• 01-04-2010 2:08 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

wirralsimon:

John

Have you by any chance been waiting a very long time to make a post like that? DevilDevilDevil

Simon

Probably about the same length of time as me!

Harry Redknaps boys are next in line for a lesson in footballing

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 01-04-2010 2:21 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

wirralsimon:

The last time that happened Frankie Goes to Hollywood had just hit the charts with their brand new hit 'Relax' !! Laughing

I'm a United fan, and although of course i'd rather have lost to Wigan - well done Leeds.  The United team needed some humbling.. they play their boots off against top teams, then think they can win at a canter against lower placed sides.  They need to give their all against everyone - it's the 'game of the season' for most clubs and they play as if it's their cup final !! 

Lee

Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 01-04-2010 3:10 PM In reply to

wirralsimon:

John

Simon

Yep :)

We know we're not going to win the cup or beat Premier League teams every week, but most Leeds fans have had some of the recent additions to the Premier League in their sights after their fans took such pious glee in Leeds being relegated a few years back whilst mired in debt. Portsmouth are currently finding out that living the dream doesn't just extend to teams with Champions League aspirations. If you have relatively little history and a small gate then you're doomed in the long-term regardless. You can't keep a big club down for long, as Man City showed. I just hope some of the other sleeping giants like Newcastle, Nottingham Forest and Derby come good and rid the Premier League of some of the chaff such as Wigan, Portsmouth et al. If their fans can't be ar$ed to turn out whilst 40,000 turn out for a midweek game against Barnsley at St James' Park, or 25,000 for a game against Blackpool at the City Ground, then they don't deserve the right to play in the top flight.

Super, super Leeds!!!

• 01-05-2010 6:03 PM In reply to

• sveifors
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • North of Norway
    • Posts 145
    • Founder

Hello, marching on together. I saw the game on the internet here 500 km north of the polar circle. I am still flying high. Couldn't be sweeter than this, well worth waiting for.

I have been a lifelong Leedsfan since I was 10 years in 1970, I listen to every match on Yorkshire radio/or LUTV.

Soon I must have my first visit to Leeds and Elland Road.

Glory Glory Leeds United

Sveifors Always look on the B & O side of life
  • 01-06-2010 1:42 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

sveifors:

Hello, marching on together. I saw the game on the internet here 500 km north of the polar circle. I am still flying high. Couldn't be sweeter than this, well worth waiting for.

I have been a lifelong Leedsfan since I was 10 years in 1970, I listen to every match on Yorkshire radio/or LUTV.

It must be a Scandanavian thing - Stefan Edberg is also a HUGE LUFC fan.

I don't live far away from the hallowed turf so if you ever get to visit I will gladly chaperone youCool

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 01-06-2010 3:26 PM In reply to

j0hnbarker:

Manchester United 0 Leeds United 1

Sorry Scumchester but Leeds did you good and proper today. We'll be back in the big time shortly where we belong at the expense of some of the joke Premier League teams like Wigan who can't get a gate of 9,000 at home unless they're playing a top-four side. We took 9,000 to Old Trafford today and could have taken four times that. Super, super Leeds!!!

John,

I hope the new avatar is only temporary! 

Cleve

• 01-06-2010 4:23 PM In reply to

Cleviebaby:

John,

I hope the new avatar is only temporary! 

Cleve

You can have it if you want Cleve! ;)

• 01-06-2010 4:32 PM In reply to

• sveifors
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • North of Norway
    • Posts 145
    • Founder

Medogsfat:

sveifors:

It must be a Scandanavian thing - Stefan Edberg is also a HUGE LUFC fan.

I don't live far away from the hallowed turf so if you ever get to visit I will gladly chaperone youCool

Chris.

Thanks, Maybe I take you up on that Big Smile

Sveifors Always look on the B & O side of life
  • 01-06-2010 4:40 PM In reply to

sveifors:

Thanks, Maybe I take you up on that Big Smile

Which game are you going to Svein-Magne??

• 01-24-2010 9:07 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Spurs 2 -  Leeds Utd 2

Beckford equalising in the 96th minute - what a finale. Can't wait for the replay at Elland Rd, if the first game was anything to go by it should be another drama filled cracker!

Chris.

• 01-24-2010 10:21 AM In reply to

Yep - no doubt the game will be a sell out. Are you watching Wigan?

• 01-24-2010 10:45 AM In reply to

Teams only get relegated when the players are not good enough on the pitch. Leeds deserve to be in Div 1 and until they get promoted thats where they belong. I hate all this "too big to go down" or  "big club" stuff. Its all rubbish. Leeds are a Div 1 team and thats where, at the moment, they belong.

Being a Crystal Palace fan I am well used to promotion then instant relegation and the club having no money. We are more "yoyo" than any other club and long may it continue. The seasons are always exciting with either promotion or relegation in our grasp. It must be boring to support a club that wins things!

• 01-24-2010 11:00 AM In reply to

Have to disagree with you there Richard, simply because Leeds fans with long memories and extensive Beolit collections will recall endless Wigan and Portsmouth fans crowing over Leeds' relegation on phone-ins such as 606 on Radio 5. The level of piety they professed was absolutely ridiculous, hammering on about how their clubs were well run and would never fall into the same trap that Leeds did..blah..etc. Well, a few years on and Portsmouth look set to be the first Premier League club to go into administration (with a Chief Exec who makes Peter Ridsdale look like a cross between Mary Poppins and Mother Theresa), and Wigan with their average gate of about 5 men and a dog seem set to be finally put out of their misery this season - and not before time. I remember watching Scarborough play Wigan in about 1994 in the old Div 3 at the McCain stadium and to be honest, that's about the level that a small town with more interest in Rugby League should be supporting a football team at. Sadly, Scarborough went to the wall a few years back, showing how fickle the whole football circus really is. Leeds is a massive city with one football team with a relatively recent silverware-winning tradition, and one day Leeds will be back where they belong in the top flight selling out nearly 40,000 seats each home game regardless of who the opposition is.

• 01-24-2010 1:49 PM In reply to

Sorry, I didnt mean anything bad about Leeds. What I meant was that if a team is relegated or is in a certain division, then that is where they deserve to be because its the players that get teams relegated not the chairman. I dont think any team "deserves" to be in a certain league just because they can get lots of people in their ground. If Man U have a bad season and go down, then so be it.

Leeds could be back in the Premiership in a couple of years and if they are you can thank Crystal Palace as we rejected Beckford when we took him on trial!

Palace may well go out of business (I think selling the legend that is Victor Moses will save us) and if we did I would be gutted. BUT thats life and business. I dont think football clubs should be protected in any different ways to any other business. I would like to see ownership limited to British people (no offence meant to the overseas members) but I expect that would fall foul of EU laws.

Good luck to Leeds in the Replay and you never know it could be a Palace V Leeds final and if it is I will buy you a beer in half time at Wembley

• 01-24-2010 3:12 PM In reply to

I confess to not supporting football - I have been to two Newcastle games and have no plans to return any time soon! However I do think that Leeds and indeed Newcastle do deserve to be Premier division sides. Why? Because they do get 40,000 crowds and therefore bring in the money. It is the chairmen and boards who get teams relegated because they do not run the businesses properly. Manchester United etc will not be relegated as they can (at the minute!) spend the money to bring the correct players to avoid this. Money does talk - Blackburn bought the title some years ago I seem to remember.

I do regret however this age of overpaid primadonnas. It is a shame that more local players do not feature in the sides - players who play for the love of the team that they supported as a child. Liverpool still have some and Newcastle always seem to have one or two as well.

• 01-24-2010 6:28 PM In reply to

I'm a rather television bound Liverpool supporter but I'm happy to see Everton do well also, so most Liverpool and Everton fans will not view me as a supporter at all! Liverpool did exceptionally well in the pre Sky / money days. 25 years ago the Liverpool manager (Bob Paisley) lived in a modest semi in Woolton, Liverpool (current value <£250k?) Rafa Benitez currently lives in a rather more exclusive residence on the Wirral (current value >£5m?) Even young Torres can happily fund a house in Woolton costing at least four times that of Paisley's.  There's so much money being pumped into football, but the players seem to take most of it leaving many clubs themselves in a precarious financial position. Any big club could suffer the same fate as Leeds or Newcastle.

Fans have unrealistic demands...... Liverpool and Everton both need new stadia, and are practically next door to each other (and both started life at Anfield.) A shared new stadium would give each club a fantastic financial advantage but 99% of both sets of fans couldn't stomach it!

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 05-08-2010 2:47 PM In reply to

Had to resurrect this thread - Super Leeds back into the Championship today!!

• 05-08-2010 7:00 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Too right John - super strike from Johnnie Howson (who went to school with & fancied my daughter - bless him (really nice boy)) which deserved our promotion in its own right.

Glory Glory Leeds United..................

Chris.

• 05-09-2010 10:19 AM In reply to

I like the Morley connection to Howson there Chris :) He's a great player and it's nice that a local lad should help his home town team up a division - there's not many stories like that in English football nowadays, particularly in the higher divisions.

Looking forward to Sheff Utd. vs. Leeds next season down here in Sheffield, as Sheffielders absolutely love Leeds as a city and Leeds folk in general :P

Page 1 of 1 (22 items)