in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-18-2009 1:59 AM by classic. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-15-2009 9:10 AM

SP12 Cartridge

Can the SP12 cartridge be fitted to the Type ST/L-15 Pickup arm?

Thanks

Simon

• 06-15-2009 9:24 AM In reply to

Re: SP12 Cartridge

Yes, but it probably will not work that well as the tracking angle will be incorrect. You need an SP1.

• 06-15-2009 9:50 AM In reply to

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that. I will stick to the SP7 or better still (if I can get one) the SP9. Any thoughts on where one might acquire the latter?

Regards

Simon

• 06-15-2009 3:58 PM In reply to

• classic
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Venø - Struer / Denmark
    • Posts 224
    • Founder

Peter :

Yes, but it probably will not work that well as the tracking angle will be incorrect. You need an SP1.

Are you sure Peter ?

The St/L 15 is 15 dg. ---- and so is SP7 / SP9 / SP10 / SP12

/Frede

Beolab 5000 -  "If another amplifier sounds different then it needs repair!"

Filed under:
  • 06-15-2009 4:45 PM In reply to

I thought the original line of pick up arms used the SP1 cartridge - the later ones use the sp6/7 etc cartridges. Which cartridge does the ST/P use ? I thought that was the SP1. Clearly you know more than me! Smile That is why I am coming to see you!

• 06-15-2009 4:58 PM In reply to

Just checked - I have conflicting articles! One says the SP2 is the cartridge of choice and later on the page is says the SP6/7. I should say that I used an SP12 on a Beogram 3000 with an ST/L arm and it does work!

• 06-15-2009 5:08 PM In reply to

• classic
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 224
    • Founder

Peter,

I think I could have confused you at the time we discussed your Beogram 3000 and your 12" B&O tomearm. This is a tonearm for Sp1/2.

The original tonearm for Beogram 1000 - Beogram 1001 and Beogram 3000 is the ST/L 15  and this is a 15dg tonearm - you can use SP6/7 SP 8/9 - SP10 - SP12 - SP 14.

Actually there is a little more to the story but perhaps I will leave this to a later time - if anybody is interrested I would be happy to give a full review and link of tonearm / Pick up. We could discuss this during your visit Peter.

/Frede

Filed under:
  • 06-15-2009 5:16 PM In reply to

I am looking forward to it! Smile

• 06-16-2009 11:16 PM In reply to

Hi Frede,

I am taking delivery shortly of a Beomaster 900RG which features, according to this erudite website (Beowrold) a Beogram 1000 with an ST/L 15 tonearm. Hence my original line of inquiry. There is available some original B&O SP12 cartridges so thought might invest in one of these.

Seems you are something of a class Beomeister yourself. So any thoughts/comments on spares and repairs and what might need looking at on this classic unit would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Simon

• 06-17-2009 12:49 PM In reply to

• classic
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 224
    • Founder

Hi Simon

Your new classic is a very nice B&O product. I think you will look into 3 main critical areas.

The Beomaster - it is important for your use and sound of this to see if a stereodecoder is inserted. Then the more ordinary points like lamps and functions switch cleaning is recommended. All this of course if the set is fúnctioning :). Of course I would strongly recommend a full restoration.

The Beogram  -  I am sorry to say a lot of the Beogram 1000 suffers from a motor problem. Som times this can be solved by a restoration of the motor, but not always. But - the positive point here is a aother Beogram 1000 is very cheap and you can easily replace a faulty Beogram 1000.

To your question - the arm ob all Beogram 1000 is a ST/L 15 and you can use also the SP12. SP12 is an excelent cartridge and actually one of the best of this SP series. You can find all info you need here on Beoworld. At the time of release this was the most expensive.

The speakers - to really obtain the best perdormance of your new classic, pay atteention to your speakers. I would take them out and clean them and after that I would coat the cones. Hopefully this is enough. If you hear distortion you might need replacement speakers og repair of the speakers.

Clean your connectors carefully (all of them)

Ude a good antenna for the FM

And - the most important - enjoy your true classic B&O Smile

/Frede

Filed under:
  • 06-17-2009 9:14 PM In reply to

Thanks for the advice Frede.

I shall go ahead and acquire the SP12.

The unit is, I am assured, in full working order and pristine condition (certainly looks so from the photos). Lets hope so once the product is airfreighted to Singapore (should be in the air now). It has been amazingly packed is a special wooden crate so should hopefully be able to cope with the usual freight handling issues.

I have a Beomaster 900 sitting on my kitchen shelf so am familiar with the operation - it is an amazing mellow sound (takes me back to my youth) funny how radio doesnt sound like that any more!

When you talk about coating of the speakers - what do you coat them with? I have restored many things in the past (including classic cars and antique furniture) but stereos are not something I have tackled thus far. I have read elswewhere re BG1000 motor issues - would be delighted to know if there is someplace to buy either NOS or restored (rewound???) motors. I see that drive belts seem readily available off the NET too.

How do I tell if or where the stereodecoder is inserted? My Beomaster 900 definitely has one as the green stereo light comes on. I guess that is the obvious way of telling on the RG? What do you clean the contacts with? An alcoholic spray cleaner or? I know there are these things at the local Radio Shack or whatever stores you have inDK  - do you have a recommendation?

Best regards from a warmy and sunny Singapore

Simon

• 06-18-2009 1:59 AM In reply to

• classic
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 224
    • Founder

Simon

By coating of speakers you will give the speaker cone a much improved smothnes back and this influence the sound. I have seen frequency response of old speakers extend with some 25%.  I am using Visaton LTS50 - availble from several vendors (Internet).

BG1000 motor - if you find problems I would just buy a 'spare' BG 1000. In this country we find them on aujtion for very small amount, and it is easy to replace. BUT I am only mentioning this 'just in case' I do hope yours is really ok. Rewinding of the motor is much too expensive compared to other solutions.

Stereo decoder - the reasonn to mention this issue. Many BM900 was sold without the decoder build in. B&O offered the decoder as 'extra'. You can see if its there if you see the lamp 'on' in FM mode when you receive a stereo FM  signal.

Contact cleaning - you suggestion is fine - go to a local store and buy a contact cleaning spray in a good quality. Open or take the BM900 out of the cabinet. Then you can easily see where to spray. BUT of course only in nessessary.

But what I am mentioning for you is typical small issues, if your products is in good working order, perhaps all these things are allready done for you, so please start to find out if you here or see any problems before performing the service of the set.

I do hope you will enjoy your new classic B&O product - there are not many around of this RG version.

/Frede 

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)