in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-16-2008 6:58 PM by Alex. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-07-2008 5:49 PM

Trumpet

A fairly unique post for me! I am looking for some advice on buying a trumpet for my daughter. I think I am buying a Yamaha - she is using a school one at present a YRT1335 which is OK but is not that reliable as it has been well used. I am going to buy her an upgraded one and am looking for some advice from anyone who plays - I am poor on the piano and now my voice has broken (a few months ago! Laughing ) my singing is nothing to be proud of! (I was quite an accomplished treble!)and therefore seek the opinion of someone who plays.  I am considering either a YTR-4335 which is a good intermediate trumpet or possibly a YTR-8310Z which would be twice the price but is lighter and rather beautiful.

Any thoughts?! 

• 11-08-2008 2:39 AM In reply to

• darren
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 164
    • Bronze Member

Re: Trumpet

I cannot give any practical advice on the subject as I have not played the trumpet for 20 years. But it sounds like you have already made the decision, the YTR-8310Z, you know you want to.

• 11-08-2008 3:16 AM In reply to

Laughing You know me too well! Still not completely sure though! How goes the wall? I saw it on Look North but didn't notice you on it. You must pop round some time - it has been too long since we saw each other.
  • 11-08-2008 5:07 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Hi Peter.
    Tom (Smito) from Luxembourg is the man. He played trumpet before he started the tuba and appears to be an accomplished musician. Indeed he plays in a national, prize-winning orchestra. His new wife Sabrina is also a musician. Unfortunately, he is on holiday in Vienna this week, not sure when he's back.
    I would agree with Darren, you seem to have already made your decision.

Cello, piano, and now trumpet!  Is Eleanor planning on starting her own orchestra?

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 11-08-2008 7:28 AM In reply to

She is really rather musical - and I want to encourage her. Had a long discussion with the chap at the shop who is very sensible - at least I know the pros and cons - she is playing in a concert on Tuesday so will chat to her teacher then. I'll see if Tom replies.

Many thanks to you both! 

• 11-08-2008 6:51 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Hi Peter!

First of all, Yamaha is not a bad choice for a student's trumpet. I never owned one, but I know them. The YTR-4335 is a standart student's trumpet and you sure are doing nothing wrong with that choice. The YTR-8310Z seems to be a newer model, I have never heard of that one. I read that it is a lightweight trumpet, which sure is good at the beginning, but I think it might become a problem in the future. Lightweight trumpets are easy to blow, but that is not what you would want from an allround trumpet.

I don't know much about the prizes, but have you consiedered a Bach trumpet. I would always prefer them to Yamaha, but they used to be a little more expensive. I played a Bach for 10 years and I was very happy with it, because it really was a very good all-rounder. It is a good student's trumpet, but can be used at higher levels too. Bach would be my first choice, but Yamaha is not bad at all.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 11-08-2008 7:09 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

I forgot something: the best thing to find out if an instrument suits you is to try it out. So if only possible, your doughter should try out the instruments. There can be huge differences between two instruments of the same type. Tell her to take her mouthpiece to the dealer and play for a couple of minutes on each instrument.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 11-16-2008 6:58 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Yamaha instruments in general seem to be good all-rounders, hence why they seem to be hugely popular in schools, universities and conservatoires.

In the short period where I found the French Horn to be the most immensely difficult instrument to learn, I also discovered how braces can completely dishearten you towards a brass instrument. I had mine put on just after beginning to learn, and taken off shortly before giving it up. Looking back I think I may have given up as I had to almost completely 're-learn' it twice, and through two years of playing, I never got anywhere. Just something to bear in mind, although my words seem silly in comparison to Tom's.

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)