in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-10-2008 6:39 AM by Max. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-07-2008 6:23 PM

• fraberg
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-26-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 40
    • Gold Member

BS 3 and other display

Anybody out there ???????
    Any knowlege if BS3 works fine with any kind of 3rd party products (Pioneer LX 50 KURO Plasma ?)

• 05-08-2008 5:57 PM In reply to

Re: BS 3 and other display

I would also be interested in knowing how a BS3 works with a Pioneer PDP-LX508D.

Does SD content look better or worse with a BS3 in between? 

Does HD content look the same or worse with a BS3 in between?

Can a BS3 turn the PDP-LX508D on and off using a RS232?

I am not overly fuzzed about it looking better with a BS3, but unfortunately the BS3 has natural knack for making the picture look worse, when used with a screen which it is not designed for. I have an older panny TH42PV500 and the BS3 just makes the picture worse - both SD and HD sources. If it makes it better then great, but as long it does not make it worse....

What are peoples experiences with this and what makes and models (non-B&O) of flatscreens do you use?

Christian

• 05-08-2008 8:55 PM In reply to

That's interesting. I've only found the BeoSystem 3 to improve image quality or make little difference. I've had a few in the field with Sony Bravias, a few Pioneer Elites, and plenty of Panasonics. I'd say it made very little difference on the Sony, but it improved the pictures otherwise.

I think it's important to focus on what issues the BeoSystem 3 is actually addressing. Motion should appear smoother and more stable, colors should look more natural, and there should be less noise in the image. These will be at work even without the RS-232 access to the BeoVision 4 panels.

Good luck, I'd also like to hear the results with a Kuro. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 05-09-2008 4:40 AM In reply to

As I advised in another thread,the response from B & O UK to my enquiry about using a BS3 with my Pioneer LX608 was "Not recommended!"

The user menu of the Pioneer LX series is so all embracing,and,according to the independent tests,the processing capabilities so good,that the benefits of an external processor may well be marginal.

I have been advised by an ISF calibrator that he would not recommend the use of an external processor with the LX series.

This may not hold true of the XD series.

Personally,I would arrange for a B & O dealer to demo a BS3 with one's TV.

• 05-10-2008 6:39 AM In reply to

• Max
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Devon
    • Posts 64
    • Founder

I use a Panasonic TH42PWD6 panel with no picture issues, although when I had the last SW upgrade to 3.1 the auto-contrast stopped working. Picture quality is identical for my SD sources and running a PS3 with a BD disc is clearly an improvement, but I haven't checked this the other way around. DVDs look better, most likely a result of PS3 and HDMI vs. Scart and my old DVD player. 

I'm regularly following these threads as my setup could do with an HD upgrade and the panel choices seem a hot topic.

The biggest attraction for me with the BS3 was the integration with B&O speakers and the flexibility of the sources plus the simple and elegant things like one remote. Its unsurprising B&O encourage BeoVisions, not just from a revenue perspective, but they are effectively a matched pair and although you can connect other panels they don't imply they will work as well. Do people buy BS3s to connect to non B&O speakers?

My B&O is in my Bio.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)