in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-03-2007 11:03 AM by Hughie. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-03-2007 9:18 AM

• Hughie
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Walton-On-Thames
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

DAB / FM inputs - beosound 4

dear friends

I rarely make postings (as you can see from my profile) besides I prefer to read others, but today I need s little advice on my beosound 4.  I have been painstakingly re-decorating our main room and have chased all the necessary wires into the wall prior to the wallpaper going up and I am very much looking forward to a room with little or no wires trailing around the place. (will post photos if interested)

my problem is that I have hard-wired the aerial feed into the wall and fitted it to the DAB connection - but during poor weather (classic british climate of Walton-On-Thames, Surrey) I get interference.  My question is should I use a splitter and place a feed into the FM connection - so as to at least get decent reception when necessary.  I had a new FM aerial fitted about 3 years ago.  I am about to complete the decorating and don't want to have to make a mess of it if I have to do some more work to fix the signal problem.

thanks in advance,

Hugh

• 10-03-2007 10:41 AM In reply to

Re: DAB / FM inputs - beosound 4

I take it that the FM aerial is elsewhere. I know you can get FM/TV aerial splitters and I wonder if you can do something similar here. I use a BC2 with DAB and the internal aerial supplied actually is pretty good - much to my surprise! However it is situated near the switch panel well away from the head unit so I clearly had rather more lee way in placing the aerial.

I doubt the FM aerial will be completely correct for the DAB signal as no doubt the impedance etc will be completely different. Some type of splitter might be helpful - have a look here.This should allow use of one wire to the BS4 and you split at both ends to an FM aerial and a DAB aerial and the different inputs.

• 10-03-2007 10:42 AM In reply to

And yes - please post some pictures!!Laughing
  • 10-03-2007 10:53 AM In reply to

Expanding on Peter's feedback, you can get splitters for this job and I have tried a few, but I will be honest and say the results in general were not good, whilst the aerial impedance is the same at 75 ohms the aerial polorisation is different for DAB.

So, in conclusion, for good results I now use a DAB aerial and an FM aerial with seperate feeds using "F" connectors on the DAB cables.

Regards Keith....

• 10-03-2007 11:03 AM In reply to

• Hughie
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Walton-On-Thames
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I used to use the supplied DAB aerial but when deciding to wall mount and hide the cables opted to run the FM coax cable into the wall and insert into the DAB connection.  I will try a splitter and see what results I get.

will post some pics shortly

Thanks, Hugh

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)