in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-25-2007 7:58 PM by Nicholas. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-23-2007 4:43 PM

• PD
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Eastbourne, England
    • Posts 210
    • Bronze Member

Cheapness again - it's the band's budget!!

Yo, am looking for a cheap laptop PC or Mac (prob better as it's for recording!) to record drum parts, keyboard parts & theremin parts on for my bassist in Sweden (git). I've an old spare but it's full of bugs & spyware & thinking "never been near the net/standalone" makes more sense for recording. Anyone know anywhere I can get a dirt cheap one?

Minimum System Requirements:

Windows

• Pentium III 500 MHz or AMD K7 processor (Pentium III / Athlon 1 GHz or faster recommended).
    • 256 MB RAM (512 MB recommended).
    • Windows 2000, Windows XP Home or XP Professional Operating System.
    • Windows MME compatible audio hardware Sound Card (ASIO compatible audio hardware recommended).
    • 1 GB of free Hard Disk space.

Macintosh

• Power Mac G4 450 MHz processor.
    • 256 MB RAM (512 MB recommended).
    • OS X Version 10.2 or higher
    • CoreAudio compatible audio hardware
    • 1 GB of free Hard Disk space.

(taken from the programme I'm using's site!)

As ever, thanks - one day I'll stop being cheap about life!!

PD "The difference betwixt erotic & kinky is that betwixt using a feather & using a chicken..."

• 04-23-2007 6:04 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: Cheapness again - it's the band's budget!!

Do you have the software already?

A Mac is the one to go for, although remember that if you get an Intel Mac, older Mac applications which have not been updated to run on the Intel machines will run slower than those which HAVE been updated.

I'd get a MacBook. You get GarageBand with all new Macs, which is basically stripped down Logic in a fancy suit and loads of built in instruments and effects. It's actually much MUCH more powerful than it first seems. When you first use it, you'll think it's more of a toy than anything, but get used to it, and you'l discover things you can do with it which actually make it very VERY powerful.

If you can't afford a MacBook, get a second hand iBook G4 or PowerBook G4. They're very cheap at the moment considering their performance and usability.

I'd still try and get a MacBook though. If the cost of one makes you cringe, then remember that it will stand the test of time better than a PC as long as it's looked after. My G3 iMac runs Tiger with absolutely no issues at all, and Reason (a synthesizer studio package) actually runs relatively acceptably! It begins to run out of processing power once it gets to 3 or 4 synths, but that's surprisingly good considering it's 10 years old!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-25-2007 7:58 PM In reply to

Re: Cheapness again - it's the band's budget!!

For those kinds of specs I would look on eBay for a used Powermac G4 or Cube. You would be able to pick one up for between £100 and £200. Otherwise, if you really want a Cuve go to www.cubeparts.biz I have two and they are fantastic machines which can easily be upgraded.

Nicholas
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)