in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-30-2010 3:03 PM by Cleviebaby. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-30-2010 3:38 AM

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

O.T. Non B&O Speaker Question

Need some information about some non B&O Speakers, I have aquired. Brought a complete Beosystem 2000 in almost mint condition. It came with a pair of Hacker speakers. Been trying to find out a bit more about them on the web. Can't find out much at all to be honest. They really are nice speakers (for non B&OLaughing) though. All I know from the previous owner is that they pre date the Beosystem (83 - 87)

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-30-2010 8:54 AM In reply to

Re: O.T. Non B&O Speaker Question

"Hacker" as "Hacker Radio Limited" built some nice stuff. The company changed hands (and names) a few times and have been out of business since around 1980.

I found a review here of a radio and loudspeaker set -though they may not be what you have... the link segues into BeoVox 2700's!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-30-2010 12:09 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Thanks Jeff, doing a google search for "Hacker Radio Limited" brings up a boat load of information. Going to have a search properly when I have the time. Which will probably be Sunday Evening. One thing I did find out is the the company was founded by two brothers. Who previously founded Dynatron. Remember my parents having a Dynatron stereo years ago. Very nice piece of kit.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-30-2010 3:03 PM In reply to

Hi Craig

Hacker was a very traditional British company that made excellent radios - think traditional Roberts Radio styling with wood end cheeks to the radio, only better.  I've owned 4 or 5 of them at various times since 1970. 

They made stereo systems as well, along the lines of Beocenters with tuner/amplifier/turntable in a wooden box- often based on class A/B amplification with Goldring Lenco turntables.  The speakers often used units from established British speaker manufacturers such as Celestion.  Their cabinet work was excellent with very substantial teak veneer.  Stylistically they veered toward the traditional rather than adventurous/modernist.  Sadly the company went out of business but you often see their radios on Ebay.  

At one stage I was using a Hacker mains radio fed by a Linn Sonndek LP12/SME 111/Shure V15iv combination. Ludicrous, I know, but at least I could hear my records and the sound quality of the radio was at least the equal of the Beolits available at the time!

Cleve     

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)