in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-29-2010 8:50 AM by Dillen. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-28-2010 11:38 AM

Beovox P50 woofers - dead or alive

The Beovox P50 speaker has two woofers, one nearer the center and one nearer the edge. I have a pair of P50s both showing the same behavior: the woofer near the edge seems stiffer than the one near the center. I mean when I push on the cone with my fingertips it doesn't really move much. The woofer nearer the center moves in and out freely. Also, it seems like less sound may be coming out of the outer woofer, although it does vibrate along with the other one. Is this normal? Maybe the outer woofer is a passive element? Or am I looking at a dead woofer that needs to be replaced?

• 03-28-2010 3:47 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Beovox P50 woofers - dead or alive

Most likely a stuck coil caused by a lose magnet. It happens in transport and when moving
    the speakers around and is a matter of old glue letting go.
    The two woofers (all four) are identical and should also feel so.

The same applies to the slightly more common Beovox P45.

Martin

• 03-28-2010 4:21 PM In reply to

OK, that sounds bad. So, am I looking for a pair of P50 woofers? What are my options?

P.S. I've been through this before with a pair of dead S45s. I have no regrets.

• 03-28-2010 6:13 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Beovox P45 and P50 woofers are identical.
    Not that it helps a lot, I'm afraid.

These are wonderful speakers and I am still experimenting with finding a fix for the woofers.
    They are not easy to match with any modern replacements, at least none I've found so far
    so the best would be to repair the originals if possible.
    So hang on to them, I'm sure that a solution will suddenly come up.

Martin

• 03-29-2010 3:45 AM In reply to

I expect you know these speakers better than anyone, Martin, but I did get a reply on 'another forum' that I'd like you react to:

"You should pull it too see if it is a passive radiator or a woofer. It is possible that one woofer reproduces the sub harmonics and the other the upper mid band freqencies which would cause one woofer to be much stiffer then the other."

• 03-29-2010 8:50 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

I've seen more than a few.

The filters sort different frequencies to them, one acting as a filler and the other as woofer but the two
    drivers are perfectly identical, with same part no's so they should look and feel the same when dismounted.

There are no passive elements in any of the P-series speakers.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)