in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-14-2009 5:51 PM by BBQ260770. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-13-2009 10:59 PM

Beogram 4000 speed problem

Hi everybody

I just received a beogram 4000 I bought on ebay from a German guy who said it was fully working...

Anyway, the guy didn't even bother to secure the platter, let alone: The plastic pulley that rotates the tonearm shaft was missing. I found it later along with the small belt. I placed both where they should be and tried to start listening. The DIN plug was BLACK (the metal part!) from dirt and corrosion. Changed them with RCA, plugged them and realised the MMC20EN (although the diamond looks like the cart never touched a record) was missing one channel [:'(] I tested my older MMC20S and both channels were there. Does anybody know if this cartridge can be fixed?

I wonder what he meant by fully working? 

Second problem is it won't change to 45 rpm (although 45 lights up) and the "percentage" light is off. The 33 light is "dead" but the turntable runs always on 33... Also the rotation stabillity (as shown in the stroboscope) is awful and also it runs a little slow but I guess a new belt would solve this problem.

Please if anybody knows something about these problems...

Thanx in advance

Filed under: ,
  • 10-14-2009 12:40 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: Beogram 4000 speed problem

Ask for your money back as it clearly isn't fully working. It sounds like you have a fair bit of work ahead of you plus expenses to replace the cartridge. I'm not aware of anyone who can resurrect a dead channel on these cartridges.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 10-14-2009 1:44 AM In reply to

I would agree. Unless this is in good condition cosmetically, it sounds as if you have quite a bit of work ahead of you. The plastic pulley will probably be cracked and I doubt the speed stability is just the belt. These are complex to repair - mine was done professionally.

• 10-14-2009 3:49 PM In reply to

Thank you very much for your replies.

The turntable is in near mint cosmetic condition and since I live in Athens, Greece it's rather difficult for me to find another one in such condition and have it posted. I think I can fix these problems but the service manual is in German (which I don't speak) so I need a bit of a guidance what to look for.

About the cartridge, I have solutions and after all there's always soundsmith, so it's not much of a problem. As for the speed stability issues I have a strong feeling it's because of the bearing. I haven't changed the capacitors (it's something everybody advises), but they show no leak, do you thing I should? Would this possibly fix the 45 rpm problem or is it completely irrelevant? Does the 4000 have any way of adjusting speed? Any other ideas about the 45 rpm problem?

thanks again
    Dionisis

• 10-14-2009 3:57 PM In reply to

The speed adjustment is completely obvious and also impossible to find!! Laughing The two spots next to the 33 and 45 above the top plate are actually slotted and will alter the speed - you can set the speed acurately with the built in strobe. The capacitors in my 4000 were fine. Join as a silver member and the full service manual is on site in English.

• 10-14-2009 5:51 PM In reply to

Embarrassed [:$] Re: Beogram 4000 speed problem

Indeed!

Still no ideas about the 45 issue... 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)