in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-08-2009 7:51 AM by DSJR. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-29-2009 9:09 AM

Beogram 5005 or 1202

Hi,

I have just obtained a Beogram 1202 in fairly good condition with an sp10 and 12. 

I already own a beogram 5005 with an mmc 1 but am not sure which one to use as my main deck?

Any ideas?

Which one would you guys use?

cheers

Tom

• 07-01-2009 2:57 PM In reply to

• DSJR
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-01-2008
    • Suffolk
    • Posts 31
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beogram 5005 or 1202

A difficult one this - please bare with me and I'll have a go...

In terms of mechanical engineering, I love the 1202 internals, but there are flaws - the studs on the platter don't support the record properly, there may be too much rumble and noise from the drive system by modern standards and the MMC1 should sound rather more refined than the SP12 (my "new-old-stock" SP12 sounds a bit "sucked out" although it tracks beautifully). If you could carefully remove the platter studs and use a hi-tech lightweight mat instead (Nottingham Analogue "Spacemat" or Sound HiFi lightweight one) and if the drive is working well, you should have an excellent quality of reproduction.

The 'Gram 5005 and its relatives measure very well in the obvious aspects like wow & flutter, rumble etc, the suspension works well and the MMC1 can be a superb performer, but the internal construction of this deck is a little flimsy IMO with an exposed thin plastic sub assembly and even with a thin felt mat to better support the record (I used a Linn LP12 mat), the sound can appear to be rather lack-lustre on rock and jazz music (I once compared a 'Gram 1700/MMC20EN with a 'Gram 1800/MMC4 and the former deck sounded clearer and with more "drama" to the sound).

All the above is only my personal opinion of course and you may "feel" the music in a totally different way. Get the 1202 up and running and take it from there. Let us know what you think... 

• 07-01-2009 3:07 PM In reply to

I only have direct experience of the 1203 (with SP10). It probably does have some slight rumble........ one of those things that's only annoying once you tune in to it and listen for it!

I've found the studs on the platter not to be an issue, but if I was thinking of following DSJR's advice I think I'd look to select a mat of just the right thickness and punch holes in it at the the stud positions rather than remove the studs.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 07-04-2009 5:06 PM In reply to

Cheers for your opinions. I set up the 1202 and put in the SP12 and it really sounded much better then my 5005 with MMC1 which is quite worrying.

I also got a SP10 included in the deal so i attached that and it also sounded pretty good.

The main worry i have is that there is a little noise coming from the platter motor. Is that easy to lubricate or is this a perminent problem.

Oh, also, i have noticed that the lift button seems to rotate around quite easily giving the deck a lower quality feel. Is this easy to secure?

Thanks again, not sure what i can do about my 5005 now.

Tom

• 07-04-2009 5:28 PM In reply to

The SP12 is a great cartridge - The 12002 is much the same as the 3000 which was the top of the line deck at its time and these do dound great. The motor will need servicing and once done will in my opinion be superior to the 5005. These decks had good figures but disappointing sound.I am not surprised at all by your findings.Congratulations on finding a good deck. The MMC1 suspension could well be getting old which could explain the disappointing sound to a degree.

• 07-05-2009 5:40 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

I agree. The 1202 is a nice deck and I tend to prefer the somewhat warmer "vintage" sound to the, probably
    linear and all that, but "sterile" modern sound. I have the same preference in speakers.
    I've never experienced a huge amount of rumble from 1202's unless playing a very wobbly record.

The metal LIFT plate is probably just lose.
    It's glued to it's platic base and it's very common to see the metal
    plate lose (or even completely lost).

Martin

• 07-07-2009 4:56 PM In reply to

Thanks for all your comments, am really getting used to the 1202 and really falling for its sound.

Managed to secure the Lift button fairly easily.

If only only i could get rid of the rumble and squeak when it starts but i am sure i will soon.

I can see why people love this turntable.

I noticed that some people replace the platter, which would reduce the asthetic but may increase sound quality. Is this sacrilegious? has anyone ever tried 'The Achroplat' by Funk on a 1202 and how would it sound?

http://www.thefunkfirm.co.uk/plat.htm

Cheers 

Tom

• 08-08-2009 7:51 AM In reply to

• DSJR
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-01-2008
    • Suffolk
    • Posts 31
    • Bronze Member

I'm still looking for a "lift" plate, but obviously not hard enough Wink

If the Achromat is a similar weight and total thickness to the beogram top platter, then you could try replacing one with t'other.

Thinking about my earlier comments, it would be a shame to attempt removal of the studs, but i still think some form of extra record support ought to be tried perhaps.

Regarding noise from the drive, a little "whirring" is normal and the Beocentre 3500's I helped set up and install back in the day always had a "whine" from the motor, which only occurs on my Gram 3000 if sat on a carpet when running. it may be worth *carefully* up-ending the deck and removing the base to chaeck the motor unit is as correctly suspended as possible and the supply wires are as free as possible and not touching any of the surrounding metalwork and "shorting out" the motor suspension, such as it is.

Another question for you all. is it possible to replace the lid fixings, as mine has an aluminium bar screwed on the back edge to hold everything together...

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)