in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-10-2010 2:09 PM by davefarr. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-10-2010 7:16 AM

Beogram 6500 tonearm loose.

Just taken delivery of a white Beogram 6500.  The cartridge wasn't removed nor the stylus guard lowered and I found it wedged between a PCB and the outer frame right inside the unit.  The tip of the MMC5 is missing - is this worth Axel fixing?  I have an MMC2 I can also use on this deck plus the seller is sending me a replacement cartridge (hopefully). 

The main issue though is that the actual tonearm doesn't seem to be attached to anything.  It flops about from its pivot points - vertically and horizontally with no resistance at all.  At rest, it just rests on the top of the deck.  I've looked at the service manual which reads as being complicated to re-instal the tonearm properly.  I'm hoping the spring (sliding chassis part 1107) has just come undone and is just the cause!.  Anyone have any experience/tips for looking at this?  Apart from that, it's spotless internally, clean externally and everything else seems to work as it should.  The floating chassis shaft 1622 was out of its retaining clip but now returned seems to be good and in order.

Good weekend,

Dave.

Am I ready? I was born ready!

• 12-10-2010 8:31 AM In reply to

Re: Beogram 6500 tonearm loose.

It should be posible to hook it in without any problems, my arm came loose during repair and as I remember I could hook it in again. Will take a look tomorrow and come back to you.

Soren

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 12-10-2010 8:42 AM In reply to

Thanks Soren.  I've seen some of your recent threads regarding repairs.  I'm hoping it's simple but don't want to mess about with it in case I damage anything.  It sounds as though a piece under the tonearm has to be pushed down and the tonearm angled in somehow.  Trouble is, I've got big fingers!

Dave.

• 12-10-2010 8:43 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Check that the rear lift/lower shaft hasn't been blocked in the lowered position.

Martin

• 12-10-2010 9:32 AM In reply to

Hi Martin,

do you mean shaft, part number 1622?.   I assume that the best way to investigate this is to just remove the cover 1101 off the sliding chassis?.  Having found the cartridge inside the deck, I suppose anything could be in there!

Dave.

• 12-10-2010 9:41 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

No, 1637.
    That's the long nylon shaft behind the carriage.
    It tilts to lift/lower the tonearm.

Martin

• 12-10-2010 9:51 AM In reply to

Thanks Martin, I'll check it when I get home later.

Dave.

• 12-10-2010 10:01 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

I have 3000 apart at the moment which had similar symptoms Dave but I very much doubt yours has the same problem (at least for your sake I hope not!!)

Anyway it is partially rebuilt now waiting while I recover from mild flu but if you need any pictures for reference I can happily snap away... Let me know soon though!

Olly.

• 12-10-2010 10:15 AM In reply to

Hi Olly,

pictures would be great.  I used to live in Sale just outside Manchester.

Dave.

• 12-10-2010 2:09 PM In reply to

Hi Martin,

OK, the spring1638 which tensions the nylon shaft had become disconnected at the shaft end (what a job that was to get on again!).  Also, the nylon shaft was 'blocked' from moving as the arm (1105) was on the wrong side of it!  The reason it was on the wrong side of it is because, the black plastic clip that holds the floating chassis shaft (1622) has sheared off.  I can't find it either as I hoped to be able to epoxy it back in place.  Again, it may be wedged under a PCB as I haven't moved any yet.  Once that clip is fixed I think it will be up and running.

The question is, has anyone come up with a simple fix to replace one of these clips which is an integral moulded part of the chassis (1643)?.  It's the one in the right back corner as you look from the front.  It's obviously important to get both shafts aligned and parallel so I may have to fabricate something that is adjustable in both planes.  Any ideas?  I don't really want to have to find a new chassis and do a complete rebuild for the sake of 1 plastic clip!

Thanks and have a good weekend.

Dave.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)