in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-02-2007 1:14 PM by Stars. 35 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-21-2007 12:51 PM

• Beo
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

review of beosound 3 please...?

I would like to ask for your comments on beosound 3, the portable radio player... i conern mainly on the sound quality and the radio signal quality, thank you.

can I say it is the best portable radio in the radio in 21st century? for a $850 radio, I give a great hope on it, will i be disappointed???
    Filed under:
  • 04-21-2007 1:04 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Re: review of beosound 3 please...?

i have a beosound 3 for a year now, and i am very happy with it. i use it mainly as an alarm clock (listen to it with a8 a lot while my girlfirend is trying to sleep next to me), take it to the bathroom, carry it to the balcony... it is just fine for what i need it for. the loudspeaker sound is amazing for its size, but nothing compared to a beosound1, as it is only a mono speaker. but even at high volume, the sound stays clear and never distroted. the main advantage of the bs3 is that it really can be carried wherever you take it, and that is very cool.

the radio signal quality is very good, especially if you compare it to any standart radio. the first time i switched my bs3 on at home and heard the voice i was used to, it sounded much clearer than i was used to, especially the articulation of some words.

if you want to use your bs3 in bedroom or bathroom, then go and get one, but if you would like to use it in a larger room, then save/ spend some more money for a bs1.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

Filed under:
  • 04-21-2007 1:52 PM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

... and - slightly against my expectations - it seems not to cause any questions after they scanned your hand luggage at airports. So far only once was I asked to take it out of my bag and explain what the thing was. Just pressed the aerial button and pointed it towards the officer ... he gave up and by Travel I headed for Paradise

Big Smile

• 04-21-2007 1:59 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

I love mine. It sounds great and I also use mine mainly as a bed side clock. I listen mostly to A.MEM (SD card) when I am upstairs, its great in the bathroom. Every B&O nut should have one.
  • 04-21-2007 2:46 PM In reply to

• stevo4
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 82
    • Bronze Member

The BS3 does have a wall connector if you don't want to use the rechargeable battery... right?

• 04-21-2007 5:34 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

No the power lead plugs into the base of the beosound 3. The wall bracket is just a piece of plastic.
  • 04-21-2007 5:43 PM In reply to

• elk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • brasschaat
    • Posts 29
    • Bronze Member

love mine too, ideal for garden-music AND shower music.

Sounds great in a car too.

• 04-21-2007 5:45 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

britops:
    ... The wall bracket is just a piece of plastic...

...witch i do not use. does anybody? i find it does not match to a portable radio to fix it on the wall...

• 04-21-2007 5:48 PM In reply to

They missed an AUX in my opinion to connect an MP3. There is no easy way to get from Itunes to SD card so I would want to connect my Ipod rather then fiddling with the cards. The B&O approach to MP3 is neat,  I understand you won't need a PC but still having an AUX would have made it a better package for those with Ipods.

If you have the space go for a BS1 which I think is a better deal.

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 04-21-2007 5:51 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

really don't agree with that!

what is the point in connecting a portable mp3 player to a portable radio? in some kind, the bs3 can itself be considered as an mp3 player. itunes to sd-card is not very easy, right, but it is not impossible.

regarding sound, the bs1 is better, but it is a different category of product!

• 04-21-2007 7:56 PM In reply to

>>what is the point in connecting a portable mp3 player to a portable radio?<<

Because it would extend the use of the product, it doesn't cost much and it doesn't  affect the design in any way. What is the point of the portable speaker that Apple, Bose, JBL etc offer? There must be one since this a somewhat common product category.

They have shown that one can integrate it very nicely with the BS1, took me 2 years or so until I found out it had one.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 04-21-2007 10:26 PM In reply to

• Beo
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

it seems that all of you give very positive comments on its radio signal quality and also the audio quality. That's good.

In my place, those B&O shops are all in-door, so it is hard to give a superior performance in radio to impress me. I wonder if it is so outstanding to be the "Best" portable radio nowadays.

• 04-22-2007 10:13 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

In my strictly biased opinion, it *is* the best *portable* radio available today.  Focus on the portable.  If you don't think you'll have the need to carrying it around much, buy the BS1.  I have both.  The BS1 is fixed in my office.  I use my BS3 in the kitchen and outside by the pool and patio.  Plenty of power for these uses, and I've never run out of battery (it really willl play for ~6 hrs at a fairly high volume).

To the comment about the wall bracket for a portable, the "wall bracket" is nothing but a hook so it is easy to hang and also remove.

Stan
  • 04-22-2007 11:04 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Agreed that the BeoSound 3 is the best portable radio around. The sound is absolutely second to none, and the build quality/finish is fantastic.

However, I went for the Tivoli iPal because it has an input connection, meaning I can connect my iPod/MBP which has proven VERY useful, especially when away on holiday/trips etc... and we want to watch a DVD off my laptop. For example, I was on a course with my laptop and took my iPal with me too. Me and about 30 other people all in one room watching 'The Life of Brian' with sound supplied by my iPal was great, if only it could have been supplied by B&O.

Why they excluded an Aux. connection is beyond me. Sure you can use the built in SD card reader if you want to play MP3s, but what if I want to listen to almost every other portable device on the planet?

If you don't want to connect an external device to it though, I'd absolutely 100% recommend it, it's the best portable radio out there, by quite a huge gap...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-22-2007 12:24 PM In reply to

• Beo
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

once again, thanks for all your opinions.

but i wanna express my idea on one thing, for portable music players, B&O is second to none nowadays. If you aim at the best possible sound quality, I do not think you will still "want to listen to almost every other portable devices on the planet". What you need is beosound 2, beosound 3 and beosound 4. That's all. 
  • 04-22-2007 12:43 PM In reply to

I like the design and sound quality of the BS3 but would never buy one. Not to include either AM or DAB means that it useless to me. I cannot listen to cricket which is the major reason for a portable radio for me. Huge shame!
  • 04-22-2007 2:20 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

What disappointed me is that the alarm function only works on the radio. Not the SD card. Sound is very good though, given the size of it.

CraigBig Smile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-22-2007 2:47 PM In reply to

• pf85
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 145
    • Founder

Craig,
    good news. The alarm function also works with the SD card.
    1) Select A.Mem and the title you would like to hear while waking up
    2) Stand By
    3) Timer / select Alarm time
    4) Store
    5) now you can even continue to listen to Radio and turn off...
    Beosound 3 will then start up in the morning with your song selected from the lovely SD card.

regards, Peter
  • 04-22-2007 2:52 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

pf85:
    Craig,
    good news. The alarm function also works with the SD card.
    1) Select A.Mem and the title you would like to hear while waking up
    2) Stand By
    3) Timer / select Alarm time
    4) Store
    5) now you can even continue to listen to Radio and turn off...
    Beosound 3 will then start up in the morning with your song selected from the lovely SD card.

regards, Peter

Peter thanks for that information. Always thought it was Radio only the alarm. Seem to remember it been a problem for a lot of members when it first came out. Think my dealer even told me this too.

CraigBig Smile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-22-2007 2:56 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 137
    • Bronze Member

The Sleep timer is only on Radio, that is the main cofussion.  :-)

-Alex
  • 04-22-2007 3:05 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Mr. Friend:

The Sleep timer is only on Radio, that is the main cofussion.  :-)

By Sleep timer you mean where it plays for X amount of time before turning off.

CraigBig Smile 

• 04-22-2007 5:26 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Craig:

By Sleep timer you mean where it plays for X amount of time before turning off.

that's it. you can choose 15, 30, 45 ... minutes

• 04-22-2007 9:15 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Time to be nice to SHMBO I now want a BS3.

CraigBig Smile 

• 04-22-2007 11:50 PM In reply to

• stevo4
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 82
    • Bronze Member

Peter:
    Not to include either AM or DAB means that it useless to me. I cannot listen to cricket which is the major reason for a portable radio for me. Huge shame!

Peter, I wholly agree with you regarding the lack of AM.  What is your understanding of why they would leave it out on the BS3 and BS4 (and any other product)?   I listen to AM radio here in the states all the time and have to turn to my Proton 320 Clock Radio in the bedroom or listen in the car now.  It couldn't possibly cost very much to add something as mundane as an AM Tuner.  

I really think there is a disconnect between the public and the designers.  Look, i know you will never make everyone happy but they should take advantage of the people here and enlist our services (for free) for feedback and comments on upcoming products. I'm sure it would reduce the amount of complaints and issues tremendously.  I mean, it doesn't take a genius to realize AM radio still plays a big part of people's lives.

Steve 

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next >