in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-19-2007 5:35 AM by Roger. 35 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-15-2007 3:17 PM In reply to

Re: TV Best design ever

1: AV9000

2: BV5

3:  MX

• 10-15-2007 4:07 PM In reply to

• henrik
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 299
    • Founder

David:

OK! Sorry but MX = ugly and annonymous imho. Sorry!

!!! I guess you're too young to know how other tvs looked like at the time when the MX was introduced :-)

I'd say the design of the MX revolutionised (is that a word in English?) tv design

My favourites:

1. The MX2000. A true design classic and icon

2. The LX6000 in palisander. The best-looking "traditional" tv ever built

3. The AV9000.

9999. The Beovision 3, especially with that dreadful stand.

• 10-18-2007 8:51 AM In reply to

Best TV designs in my opinion:

1.      Beovision 5: A very well balanced design. Absolute perfection.

2.      MX series: Changed the way I looked at TV design.

3.      LX series: A beautiful classic.

4.      Beocenter 1: Nice but only with the floorstand.

5.      Beocenter 6: A smart package. I would have liked a 32 inch version, though.

6.      Beovision 8: When I first saw it I hated it, but it starts to grow on me. That’s a good thing.

Sometimes, even Bang & Olufsen gets it wrong. Worst TV designs in my opinion:

1.      Beovision 3: Really, what were they thinking of?

2.      Beovision 9: It is not very well proportioned and in comparison to the superb Beovision 5 the frame is far too bulky. The acoustic lens may be a technical masterpiece but it is not that pretty.

3.      Beovision 7: I don’t think the beolab 7.1 and 7.2 work particularly well with the screen. In combination with the beolab 7.4 it looks better, but even then it’s not that special. But I’ll admit the DVD player is a nice touch.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 10-18-2007 9:18 AM In reply to

• Lagom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • New Orleans
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

1.) AV9000   (Not that I ever had the chance to enjoy it here.)

2.) Avant

3.) BeoVision 5

4.) AV5  (Love those speakers that stretch out.)

• 10-18-2007 10:44 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

6. BV7 with BL7-4. The most beautiful LCD TV in the world (imho).

5. BV5 I just love that frame.

4. BV Avant RF in Black. The sculpture of the TVs.

3. BV8 with wall stand. Love it or hate it, this is the B&O's icon for the future.

2. BV1 with 1.8 m floor stand, a definite B&O symbol.

1. MX 4000 in black, sitting on the floor. It was a revolution in the TV world when it was launched in the 80's.

Gustavo

• 10-18-2007 3:30 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

1) Avant...Avant...Avant.  (Dark Blue)

1.5)  AV-5  (Orange/Copper)

2)  BeoVision 7 (Dark Grey)

3)  MX  (White)

The Avant and AV-5 very clearly are the 'same' design, meant to serve somewhat different purposes; but as was stated earlier, the CRT forced David Lewis to be creative in finding his solution.  Knowing that what we all wanted all along was to have a screen hanging on a wall, he built his own 'wall' and pushed the CRT back into it and made it really disappear.  Brilliant!!  Optical illusions...manipulating perception...just brilliant.

I place the BV-7 next because it is clearly the successor to the Avant in every sense of the term.  Until BV-7, every Plasma or LCD Television or Monitor is just a screen in a frame with speakers stuck on with varying levels of art or competence.  Even the beloved BV-5 and the loathed BV-9 are mere variations on the theme.  BV-7 visibly breaks the components apart and presents them floating together, as if flying in formation, rather than stuck together and wrapped in plastic.

The MX?  Do I really need to say anything else? 

;-)

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 10-18-2007 4:27 PM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

Lee! Can you please make a top ranking list of all contributions in this tread?????

I think so far the Top ranking list would look like this:

1. BV5

2. BV7 or the Avant?

3. AV9000

4. MX

5. BV9

6. AV5

7. BC6

8. BV4

9.  BV3

10. BV4

Regards Fredrik L

BL8000 MkII Black

• 10-18-2007 7:38 PM In reply to

In my opinion:

MX series (particularly 7000 and 4200)

Beocenter 1

Beovision 6

Avant

AV 9000

Beovision 8

last beovision 3 

• 10-18-2007 7:59 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

LX

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 10-19-2007 5:04 AM In reply to

RussR:

BV-7 visibly breaks the components apart and presents them floating together, as if flying in formation, rather than stuck together and wrapped in plastic.

The MX?  Do I really need to say anything else? 

;-)

I really love that explanation Russ thanks. You have made me look at the BV7 in a completely different way and your description makes complete sense. I now start to ponder ... perhaps this is exactly what was going on in David Lewis's mind when looking for an interesting design? It must be very difficult to create a television that breaks away from the norm, especially when you are immediately forced as a starting point with a rectangle to then work on. Round TVs would be an interesting concept. How about TVs that move? In the same way that surround sound utilises what individual speakers do, the next step could be for the tv to move too. For example, if there is a scene where 2 men are fighting, the tv moves from left to right according to each punch movement. Surely holographic television must be the next step though, rather like in Star Wars when Princess Lea records her message for help in R2D2. This would be possible with today's technology but as for the expense, well...

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 10-19-2007 5:35 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

soundproof:

I have owned several MX TVs. Bought my first one in the 80s. Loved the fact that I could plunk it down at my feet, where I wanted to watch television. It's a mystery to me why B&O didn't put a handle in the back of the 26" BV8.

The BeoVision 5 caught my attention when it came out. Beautifully finished - loved it with a dark frame.

BeoVision 9 I found to be smaller "in the flesh" than I thought it would be -- however, since I'm a Mac-addict I don't need what it does beyond being a screen.

The BeoVision 7, in the 40" version, with the horizontal speaker, in BLACK, is almost the most beautiful television I have ever seen, in my opinion.

My favourite is the BeoVision 8 on the floorstand. To me it's pure sculpture, which is why I own one.

My view as well. I guess I'm one of the few that isn't in love with the BeoVision 5: The flat and edgy frame and the over-sized speaker grill ruin what could have been perfection. Having to explain to people why only half the "framed picture" lights up tells me that mr Lewis' "sound is half the experience" could have been done better, and knowing that here are two rather tiny Avant-speakers behind that huge 42" speaker grill leaves an impression that "sound isn't half the experience" but rather "design is half the experience", or style/image over substance. Small factors, but they add up and doesn't give me good vibes. The BV9 is, to me, superior when it comes the curved frame, better finished rear, a much better aspect ratio between screen and cloth. When turned on, the BV9 projects visual balance where the BV5 was a bit top-heavy with that 42" speaker grill.

But the 7-40 with 7.2 in all-black... Of course, as with all black alu products from B&O, it must be placed where lights hit it in such a way that you can tell it is aluminium - and not just black plastic.

Roger

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2