in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-18-2007 2:48 PM by mr_anders_son. 59 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-15-2007 4:59 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beovision 7 verses 9

As you say you love the BV9 and if there is no budget problem, you should get the BV9, otherwise you might regret it afterwards...

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 10-15-2007 5:47 PM In reply to

• petz
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-30-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

There is not only the TV to buy, but the whole system.......that hurts! Especially when building a new house, you never end on budget which is bad for subsequent purchases.

Here is the set-up starting point:

* Hobby room Beosound 3500

* Living room BV7-40 (BV9 ?) viewing distance 4 m, Beolab 8000 for front. Rear wires foreseen but no loudspeakers from beginning as my wife doesn't need it (she says, for her films or tv shows); Beosound 3200; Beomedia with Beoport on PC or Mac

* kitchen, Beosound 3 that we already have

* our bedroom, Beosound 3500 or Beovision 8-32 (as we are not used to watch TV in bedroom and do not know if we need it)

* children bedrooms, wiring for TV/music at later stage

*  cinema and music room with PS3 for kids, Beosound 9 maybe as front (not yet decided), wanted a Pioneer big plasma but apparently cannot be linked to system without a Beosystem 3 (Pioneer plasma + Beosystem 3 = nearly same price as BV4); a second hand BV5 HD or maybe a projector? Do not know yet

• 10-16-2007 3:53 PM In reply to

I know everybody will think we are crazy but we decided to not get the Beovision 9. We had some concerns about the size perhaps being too big and even at the discount it is a large some to spend without being certain.

With regards to a couple of comments that the store must need money or will not be around long I can assure you that is not the case. I have been seeing large discounts there for years.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 10-16-2007 4:20 PM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:

I know everybody will think we are crazy but we decided to not get the Beovision 9. We had some concerns about the size perhaps being too big and even at the discount it is a large some to spend without being certain.

With regards to a couple of comments that the store must need money or will not be around long I can assure you that is not the case. I have been seeing large discounts there for years.

Huh? I see.. ;)

And then you went with the Bv 7-40 instead of the big BV9 or ?? Color?? Beolab 7-? Big Smile

Regards

BL8000 MkII Black

• 10-16-2007 4:55 PM In reply to

No, we are waiting  for the Beovision 9 with 1080p to compare to the Beovision 7. Then will make final decision on size.

• 10-16-2007 5:06 PM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:
    No, we are waiting  for the Beovision 9 with 1080p to compare to the Beovision 7. Then will make final decision on size.

So you think BV 7 has better picture than BV 9 HD redy 720p then?

Have you compared the two at your dealer and the Bv 7 came out as a winner in your decision?

Regards

BL8000 MkII Black

• 10-16-2007 5:20 PM In reply to

In some ways I prefer the 7 and in some ways the 9 with 720p. In some scenes I could see more background detail in dark areas on the 7 than the 9. However, in some ways the 9 appeared to have a more natural appearance to the colors. Unfortunately the dealer is 3 hours away. I want to spend some more time watching both before spending such a large sum of money. Obviously I will be happy with either. Dealer will give me 10% off a new 7 so the price difference between it and the demo 720p is not huge. Of course if I ultimately decide the 9 was/is better, I will deeply regret passing up bargain like this.

• 10-16-2007 6:25 PM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:
    In some ways I prefer the 7 and in some ways the 9 with 720p. In some scenes I could see more background detail in dark areas on the 7 than the 9. However, in some ways the 9 appeared to have a more natural appearance to the colors. Unfortunately the dealer is 3 hours away. I want to spend some more time watching both before spending such a large sum of money. Obviously I will be happy with either. Dealer will give me 10% off a new 7 so the price difference between it and the demo 720p is not huge. Of course if I ultimately decide the 9 was/is better, I will deeply regret passing up bargain like this.

Hope your not regret your decision then! ;) It must be the all time high bargain with 60% of the price!

I´ve got 20% from my dealer when i bought my first and second BV 7-40 MKIII from him. And my dealer is one of my best friends . =)

But i can say that i have compared the new BV 7 BS3 against the full HD BV9 BS3 and i must say the colors are a little better in some DVD:s on BV9, but some they are worse.. I´ts a bigger screen thats for shore= Bigger impact on your friends. And the blacks have greater dept than BV9.  But otherwise i think the BV 7 must be the most complete television that exist today. BV9 second and Loewe in third place. And i´m a perfectionist in most ways. I often shook up on small minor things, but i haven´t anything minor  to complain on the BV 7 in fact..So it must be good=) I don´t like my MK II silver half as much as the MK III ...

The TV got really nice High End sound (Beolab 7-2)  looks great, have the best picture on the consumer market, and have higher finish and are better build/put together than the BV9 i think..

But if you have the space i should go for the BV9 HD redy 60% of the price. And if you and your wife consider that the TV doesn't have so great PQ and are to big in your room, you can easily sell it for 30% plus the price on Ebay. And then buy a BV 7 instead. =) 

Have you looked in the user picture menu how the Brightness , contrast and color are set (and tint) ? They should be at the default= in the middle when you compare the two screens.. 

Thats only my 2 cents...

Regards   

BL8000 MkII Black

• 10-16-2007 6:54 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

As the head of Pioneer remarked at the IFA show in Berlin- with plasma of such quality now it defies belief that 70% of people choose LCD i have therefore come to the conclusion that most of the buying public are oblivious to image quality.

If you watch more SD than HD and you watch movies and you like a picture thats relaxing to watch with a true to life picture with little 'movement' issues as opposed to the harder and harsher image you get with LCD you WILL regret not buying the BV9

As for the debates about 1080 - in most tests carried out by the BBC no one could consistently tell the diffeernce on a screen 50 or below.

Plasma has 'come of age' each new derivative is a small incremental improvement- LCD - yes its very cheap to make and very profitable for manufacturers but still a long way to go- the advances in screens for lcd over the next year will be huge. early adopters of the BV7 have found already in such a short space of time that the product lags behind even basic products for performance now

• 10-16-2007 6:55 PM In reply to

Thanks for the input. All very good points. We did play with color/contrast settings a little and had them set in the middle or just above.

Also, I am not sure from your post if you were referring to the BV9 being priced at 60% of normal price or 60% off.

To clarify it is a 60% discount. I can buy for 40% of the list price.

List price is $22,900.  Sale price $9,988.

I am probably being really stupid not getting it. Dealer is also offering 0% financing for 18 months.

• 10-16-2007 6:59 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Actually have you noticed that playing with brightness on an lcd actually does very little?  thats the technology!
  • 10-16-2007 7:24 PM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

355f:
    Actually have you noticed that playing with brightness on an lcd actually does very little?  thats the technology!

I think you are a bit to hard now 355f.. Have you even seen the new Bv 7-40 Mk lll in real life?

Yes it is a cheap LCD inside, but it gives the BV9 a good match i can truly say...

And if you are playing with the brightness it does do a great effect on the picture and blackness. You most mean generally LCD artefact's/side effects in the supermarket stores, but i´m sorry i can´t see all bad things you mention on my Bv 7 ?? If the gap should be as big as you say between the new Bv7 and Bv9 i would bought Bv9, but it wasn't ! The picture are in some ways better on Bv9 and some ways worse..!

(Note: I had a Pioneer PDP-507 XD before my Bv7 and i´m not blind, i can see colors, artefact's and black levels and more and more, but the Pioneer had more motion sickness and worse blackness than my new Bv7 thats for shure..!)

Regards

BL8000 MkII Black

• 10-17-2007 3:48 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

AS you can tell- im in the plasma camp and dont like LCD- thats just a personal preference.

It depends what your veiwing habits are and that how  I started my response. Pc, gaming, all high def- get the BV7

BV9- movies- bigger sceen- handles SD better IMO plasma is nicer to watch. In the end the difference is screen size is enormous and makes the difference to a movie experience even if one dissagrees will all the former!

• 10-17-2007 4:06 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

And i don´t like the colors on a plasma..  355f Take a look on the Bv7 Mk III and feel free to compare it with Bv9...

Then you can comeback and say that the Bv7 are just for games and Hi def... The DVD and SDTV are just as good as the Bv9 i think...! (Both got BS3 engine)

I can buy a Bv9 any day in the week if i feel to, but honestly i don´t  think the image are better just bigger on Bv9...

I don´t play games just watch (upscaled) DVD:s and HD/SDTV ... And the image are magnificent...

Take a look if you come around one...

Regards

BL8000 MkII Black

• 10-17-2007 4:11 AM In reply to

This is such a good debate so far, thanks to you all!

Beo... love what you write about being a perfectionist, it sounds like you are describing me exactly! This comment gives me confidence because if you are so happy with your new BV7-40 then I know I will be too. Incidentally, is your star sign scorpio by any chance? I am! Born November 6, 1969. We are known for being perfectionists in every area of our lives, which of course is not always a good thing as we can drive ourselves mad in the process! Difficult to change though.

355f... Again, some excellent comments regarding plasma technology and I agree with what you say 100%. I have always preferred the plasma technology to LCD and noticed a far better picture quality. However, I have also heard through many sources that this new BV7-40 is something rather special so I am quite excited to see it, which will be in two days time on Friday at my local dealership. I have battled on and off for the last year about which television to buy and it has been a long and difficult process. I had to consider the design point of view, how product(s) would look and fit into my environment, picture quality, sound quality, upgradeability, future proofing, minimalism and pricing. With all these points in mind I reluctantly, but confidently, chose the new BV7-40. My tv of choice was always the BV5 because I have had a 'love affair' with it ever since it was first released in 2002. I just think its such a beautiful design statement and typifies what B&O are all about. I love nice designs. My decision is now made, its final, all monies have been paid and the product has been ordered in dark grey. However, I would still like to know if you think that the HD BV5 with a 2005 plasma panel, no BeoSystem 3 chassis, 1 DVI point, 720p and no in-built upscaling DVD player would have been a better choice than the new BV7-40? Perhaps it would have in terms of picture quality, I honestly don't know. You seem to know a lot about the electronics side of things so I am genuinly interested to know your thoughts on this. I will be running HD through the tv and watch DVDs often. The signal for normal viewing would be digital as supplied as standard by Sky. For your further information, what put me off primarily was that the panel was outdated by 2 years (2005). We know that the latest plasma panels by Panasonic and Pioneer are incredible, but was this the case back in 2005 too? I will never understand why they stopped producing the BV5 and came out with the BV9. They are two very different televisons. Looking forward to your response.

Simon. 

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 10-17-2007 4:28 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

All that matters in the end is that you like your BV7 and feel it was a good thing to acquire.

continuing debates about whats'better' does nothing for the amicable rapport that exists here- so  I rest my case!

Now contrast ratios! what is it on the bv9 compared to BV7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 10-17-2007 4:39 AM In reply to

355f:

All that matters in the end is that you like your BV7 and feel it was a good thing to acquire.

continuing debates about whats'better' does nothing for the amicable rapport that exists here- so  I rest my case!

Now contrast ratios! what is it on the bv9 compared to BV7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh come on, you can do better than that! You haven't answered any of my questions and I spent a considerable amount of time typing all that out! I really value your opinion and am genuinly interested to hear what you have to say, so please try again. I want to know more about the 2005 panel that was used in the latest HD BV5 and good it was/is/will be etc. I have to leave for Exeter now for the day, but I will log in with anticipation late this evening to see, I hope, a lot more replies to this topic, which I have so much interest and passion about. Have a good day all.

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 10-17-2007 4:42 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

Beonic Man i´m a Virgo in fact.. ;) Born in 14 of September 1982. And i am addicted to design and High End technology since i was 13 years old...= B&o =)

If i should answer the BV5 vs BV7 MK III question you asked, i must say that BV7 do circles around the BV5 and smiles down on the old "Ikon"... The image quality are far ahead the BV5 HD in all ways in SDTV/HDTV to DVD.

The BV5 HD uses Panasonic PV500 panel.. 3000:1 contrast ratio...

But if you are a old blind plasma guy i don´t now what the answer would be.. ;)

It´s like Porsche 996 GT3 Vs 360 Ferrari Stradale.. The both are good high end sports cars but some dislike and some like them..

I like them both but it´s hard to mutate Ferrari with Porsche you most make a choice... I choosed the worlds best LCD this time and i don´t regret it at all...!

Regards

BL8000 MkII Black

• 10-17-2007 5:10 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

The Beonic Man:

This is such a good debate so far, thanks to you all!

Beo... love what you write about being a perfectionist, it sounds like you are describing me exactly! This comment gives me confidence because if you are so happy with your new BV7-40 then I know I will be too. Incidentally, is your star sign scorpio by any chance? I am! Born November 6, 1969. We are known for being perfectionists in every area of our lives, which of course is not always a good thing as we can drive ourselves mad in the process! Difficult to change though.

355f... Again, some excellent comments regarding plasma technology and I agree with what you say 100%. I have always preferred the plasma technology to LCD and noticed a far better picture quality. However, I have also heard through many sources that this new BV7-40 is something rather special so I am quite excited to see it, which will be in two days time on Friday at my local dealership. I have battled on and off for the last year about which television to buy and it has been a long and difficult process. I had to consider the design point of view, how product(s) would look and fit into my environment, picture quality, sound quality, upgradeability, future proofing, minimalism and pricing. With all these points in mind I reluctantly, but confidently, chose the new BV7-40. My tv of choice was always the BV5 because I have had a 'love affair' with it ever since it was first released in 2002. I just think its such a beautiful design statement and typifies what B&O are all about. I love nice designs. My decision is now made, its final, all monies have been paid and the product has been ordered in dark grey. However, I would still like to know if you think that the HD BV5 with a 2005 plasma panel, no BeoSystem 3 chassis, 1 DVI point, 720p and no in-built upscaling DVD player would have been a better choice than the new BV7-40? Perhaps it would have in terms of picture quality, I honestly don't know. You seem to know a lot about the electronics side of things so I am genuinly interested to know your thoughts on this. I will be running HD through the tv and watch DVDs often. The signal for normal viewing would be digital as supplied as standard by Sky. For your further information, what put me off primarily was that the panel was outdated by 2 years (2005). We know that the latest plasma panels by Panasonic and Pioneer are incredible, but was this the case back in 2005 too? I will never understand why they stopped producing the BV5 and came out with the BV9. They are two very different televisons. Looking forward to your response.

Simon. 

The short answer to your question  IMO would be NO I dont think the BV5 from 2007 would be an appropiate option compared to the BV7, mainly because you are 4 panel generations behind and although with each generation the advances are smaller than they were before, the difference between say a D7 panel and D10 is large. BUT it depends on price! I would thnk you could buy a BV5 as you describe for £4000 which is a lot less than a BV7- its a question of balancing price against what your buying.

At the IFA show I was party to a presentation on the new pioneer Kuros and the prvious 7th geenration pioneer- all showing the same source- Indeed blacks were blacker, less movement problems BUT here in the UK the previous model can be bought for £2000 less than the latest. In that case i would buy the former!

Thats technology for you - the wonderful purchase one makes today is no so good even 12 months down the line!

• 10-17-2007 5:25 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

355f:

The new Bv7 has 2000:1 in contrast ratio. Look in the specs in the end of the pdf.

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/UserFiles/file/Press/BVi7-40%20EU_PR.pdf

And the new Bv9 1080p Full HD has 3000:1 in contrast ratio, so the gap are not miles between them...

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/UserFiles/File/Products/Technical%20Specifications/BeoVision9_en.pdf

Regards

BL8000 MkII Black

• 10-17-2007 6:40 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

355f:

...early adopters of the BV7 have found already in such a short space of time that the product lags behind even basic products for performance now

I'd disagree with this. As I've mentioned before, my brother has a new 2007 Samsung 32" LCD and, through Freeview, the quality is far inferior to my MKI BV7-32. There are many more artefacts, particularly around fast-moving objects. Sport on my old BV7 is far better than his 2007 Samsung.

This doesn't mean it can't be improved, of course. The brightness and contrast are poor on my old BV7.

• 10-17-2007 7:41 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:
    355f:

...early adopters of the BV7 have found already in such a short space of time that the product lags behind even basic products for performance now

I'd disagree with this. As I've mentioned before, my brother has a new 2007 Samsung 32" LCD and, through Freeview, the quality is far inferior to my MKI BV7-32. There are many more artefacts, particularly around fast-moving objects. Sport on my old BV7 is far better than his 2007 Samsung.

This doesn't mean it can't be improved, of course. The brightness and contrast are poor on my old BV7.

Well this is an interesting argument. So your comparing the samsung lcd which costs say £450- which is not reagrded as one of the better LCD by any stretch with the B&O that costs over ten times the price even 2 years ago.

What im saying is, take  good quality LCD now thats regarded as being more cutting edge and compare the picture quality to a BV7 Mk1 and im afraid the B&O is MILES behind

• 10-17-2007 7:46 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Beolab:
    355f:

The new Bv7 has 2000:1 in contrast ratio. Look in the specs in the end of the pdf.

And the new Bv9 1080p Full HD has 3000:1 in contrast ratio, so the gap are not miles between them...

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/UserFiles/File/Products/Technical%20Specifications/BeoVision9_en.pdf

Regards

Not miles between them??? its taken 4 geenrations of plasma technology to reach these real world levels if one takes a view that there is little difference between 2000-1 and 3000-1 in contrast ratioit makes you wonder why the manufactuers have worked so hard to strive over the years for these kind of specs!-

Plasma in technology terms is just far far ahead- if one cant appreciate these facts or cant notice a difference then buy LCD

• 10-17-2007 7:56 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

355f:
    Beolab:
    355f:

Regards

well its true that the contrast ratio dropped with the 1080  compared to the HD screen, in any event the percentage of increase in CR ratio is huge  compared to the LCD and next year the new panasonic panel will have 7000-1 CR ratio.

Plasma in technology terms is just far far ahead- if one cant appreciate these facts or cant notice a difference then buy LCD

Take a look of the new BV7 first...

And the old BV9 HD ready 720p did also have 3000:1 in contrast ratio.

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/UserFiles/File/Products/Technical%20Specifications/BeoVision9_en_na.pdf

BL8000 MkII Black

• 10-17-2007 7:57 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

355f:
    Beolab:
    355f:

Regards

well its true that the contrast ratio dropped with the 1080  compared to the HD screen, in any event the percentage of increase in CR ratio is huge  compared to the LCD and next year the new panasonic panel will have 7000-1 CR ratio.

Take a look of the new BV7 first...

And the old BV9 HD ready 720p did also have 3000:1 in contrast ratio.

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/UserFiles/File/Products/Technical%20Specifications/BeoVision9_en_na.pdf

BL8000 MkII Black

Page 2 of 3 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >