in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-03-2007 11:16 AM by Peter. 281 replies.
Page 11 of 12 (282 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-26-2007 9:20 AM In reply to

Re: Beo 5 Countdown- who get the first one...?

Dealers (or someone here who has access to the software) can probably create a config file that corresponds to your set-up and email it to you, then with your computer you install it on the remote. You should get it from the dealer who sold it to you.

What the dealers have told you is true. Most have not been trained yet. And for those, in the UK, who have the software, a lot of them have problem installing it.

For that reason, I am waiting to get a working version of the sofware before I buy the remote. This is also an insentive for the dealer to give me the software, if he wants the money, he's got to bend the rule for me a bit.

I think B&O will release the software when it is fully debugged, and when dealer and customers have moaned enough.

p.

• 09-26-2007 10:41 AM In reply to

• JoC
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-20-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

wtlc2zpx:

I was wondering if some of you could send me their config file, I am not talking about the software itself, but the file the it place in the remote.

I'd like to see if I could reverse engineer it...

If I am able to reverse engineer it, I could maybe build a Beoworld version of the software, with the feature we like...

If you'd like to send me this file, PM me and I'll send you my email address.

Thanks in advance.

p.

I was actually thinking the same thing, as soon as my Beo5 arrives I was hoping to get a look at the config file. I know the software was wrote using .Net, so I was thinking it would be a simple XML file (wishfull thinking), but either way 'debug' here I come Smile

JoC 

• 09-26-2007 10:48 AM In reply to

JoC:

I was actually thinking the same thing, as soon as my Beo5 arrives I was hoping to get a look at the config file. I know the software was wrote using .Net, so I was thinking it would be a simple XML file (wishfull thinking), but either way 'debug' here I come Smile

JoC 

I was hoping for XML too....

• 09-26-2007 10:57 AM In reply to

It uses XML
  • 09-26-2007 12:14 PM In reply to

its does use the .NET framework and then XML,
  • 09-26-2007 1:46 PM In reply to

Great, i got one, it is indeed XML and I am trying to make some sense of it.

Obviously the more I get the better. Do not hesitate to PM me and I'll send you an email address.

My goal is to make a Beoworld version of the software that we could distribute freely, also we could add the features that we need without having to wait for B&O.

P. 

• 09-26-2007 4:01 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

I don't know if any of you have noticed, but this thread has got really long!
    It is fairly obvious that Beo5 is going to have a lot more posts, we have only had it a couple of weeks and already 255 posts!
    I have discussed this with one or two others and have come to the conclusion that it might be a good idea to have a seperate sub-forum discussing Beo5 only.
    It could be something like the Workbench with different Beo5 related threads in it.
    Would you please let me know what you think and then I will see what Lee and the mods think!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 09-26-2007 4:06 PM In reply to

Well

In T3 DK there was an article about hacking Beo5 Here:

Da T3 spurgte, om ikke Beo5 så ville kunne hackes, var Bloch overbevist om, at det nok ville ske - og han mere end antydede, at det ville få retslige konsekvenser.

=

When T3 asked ,if Beo5 could be hacked ,  Bloch persuaded about , that it was very likely to be and he beyond intimate , that it would have legal consequences.

just so you know Confused

• 09-26-2007 4:37 PM In reply to

Which is why Beoworld will not be party to distributing the software!
  • 09-27-2007 9:35 AM In reply to

So lets say you manage to "hack" your Beo5's. Then what happens when you make a big mess of it all. Your poor dealers are going to be stuck cleaning up the mess.

I'll be letting my dealer do all the work on my Beo5 (when i get one)...

jazz.

• 09-27-2007 9:45 AM In reply to

Can one tell me if the remote appears like a hard drive like a USB memory stick does when you plug in in a PC or Mac.

p. 

• 09-27-2007 10:38 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I'm not getting involved until the Beo5 is actually ready. I think you guys are going into too much detail, when it comes out i'm sure it will all make sense, be very simple and will become even more so with software updates along the way.

I'm sure B&O didn't design this thing to be as annoyingly intricate as a PC. You're probably going to give yourself a headache if you try and figure a way of dissecting it and doing all this stuff herein to the instructions!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 09-27-2007 11:02 AM In reply to

David:

I'm not getting involved until the Beo5 is actually ready. I think you guys are going into too much detail, when it comes out i'm sure it will all make sense, be very simple and will become even more so with software updates along the way.

Er... but it is out... and people have had one for about 2 weeks now... I have played with it, it is a real B&O product. But it takes all its power from the way you configure it.

It will behave like a Beo4 with only a basic configuration, or you (well, the dealer) can program it to do a lot more.

Anyway, I wont buy one on its own, as I am planning to get the new BV7 that comes with the Beo5.

p.

• 09-27-2007 11:06 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I know it's out, i meant ready, ready for use which it clearly isn't yet. The dealer configures it, not the user.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 09-27-2007 11:09 AM In reply to

We agree then!

• 09-28-2007 8:47 AM In reply to

A quick question for the beo5 owners:

How many tv channels and radio stations logos do you have put into your beo5 ?

Does anyone know which is the device memory limit?

Thanks. 

Santiago

• 09-28-2007 8:55 AM In reply to

I think I heard the capacity was 160 logos - seems like more than enough to me! I have probably got about 20 on mine at present.

• 09-28-2007 9:26 AM In reply to

Peter:

I think I heard the capacity was 160 logos

160 = Tv + radio ?

For me is enough too Smile only having 80 in total.

Thank you Peter. 

Santiago

• 09-28-2007 11:21 AM In reply to

eduard:

I have 27 for the sat. 27 for the radio and 27 for the cable tv.... 81 logo's is enough!! LaughingLaughing

Thank you Eduard Yes -  thumbs up 

Santiago

• 09-28-2007 12:53 PM In reply to

If you find you do need a few more, the Beo5 memory can hold a maximum of 100 logos, 100 icons and supports 24 zones.

Whilst it can support 24 zones, the Masterlink can only support 16 devices (products), so clearly this is for future expansion.

Regards Keith....

• 09-28-2007 1:38 PM In reply to

Keith is correct - 100 in 16 zones at present.
  • 09-29-2007 11:41 AM In reply to

Peter:
    Keith is correct - 100 in 16 zones at present.

Yes but if you go wireless then it's like this. 21 wireless rooms and 13 wired total 34! Smile

• 09-29-2007 12:24 PM In reply to

I can see that I will need an extension. Only 5 rooms with linked equipment here!! Laughing
  • 10-01-2007 12:04 PM In reply to

jazz:

So lets say you manage to "hack" your Beo5's. Then what happens when you make a big mess of it all. Your poor dealers are going to be stuck cleaning up the mess.

I'll be letting my dealer do all the work on my Beo5 (when i get one)...

jazz.

Good idea - maybe i would say that though Wink

Having had a few weeks to get used to the product, and the "supply proccess" I think a few relevant points are :

1.  The initial set up on "most" standard set ups is straightforward.    It is only multiroom systems with less common combinations that will take a bit more thought.  I suggest getting your remote with all the basics in place, use it for a while, build a "wish list" over a few weeks use,  and then get it updated a second time.  Email your dealer in advance about any specific logos you want.

2.  Your dealer will keep a record of your Beo5 settings - associated with the serial number, and accessible in seconds.  So future changes etc will be quicker and relatively straightforward. 

3.  Its reasonable to expect additional home visits with a laptop, made at a customers request to add a certain feature,  to be chargeable. 

4.  This shop is now building up a library of "common" profiles -eg,  Bvis 7 with Bsnd 9000, one link TV.  Bvis 4 with Bsnd 4, audio links only, etc etc.  These can then be loaded in, and modified to suit.  Quick and fairly easy. 

Check out the price charged by the Custom Install installers for pre-loading Crestron and similar devices.  You will see rates in the many hundreds of pounds, simply to drop in pre-configured codes.  So maybe a similar amount for a fully personalised Beo5, including the actual remote, is good value. 

Future minor changes ( say adding a new SKY channel logo )  can be done in-store in minutes, and so would attract a nominal, or no, charge.

Only my opinions though - other dealers may vary. 

Typical UK prices, btw, seem to be in the region of  £430 - £450, supplied set up and with charger.

Bang & Olufsen of King Street - Manchester,UK. SKYPE - beokingstreet

Page 11 of 12 (282 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next >