in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-23-2011 8:56 AM by Evan. 43 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (44 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-14-2011 1:03 PM In reply to

Re: BM4000 - waiting to travel the world...

Now how's that about step by step progresses....

There's still mono to be pressed or the right channel is very quiet. Output on stereo decoder board is on both channels - lost on the way to the power amp. Left signal on volume slider missing.

STEREO!!!

Balance, Bass, Volume sliders fine. Treble left not functional, slider pot ok. Now what to expect from latest experience?

Yes, broken wire again. Treble now fine as well.

• 09-14-2011 1:31 PM In reply to

Ok, now it's time for a little cosmetic. Let's have those high-heels corrected:

The four 5k trimmpots are to be left alone according to the service manual so I'll do. Idle current adjusted to ~80mA.

So that's my latest internal status - plenty of caps that could be renewed but they are working fine - probably some homework for the new owner Wink

I've had enough surgery for the day.

Running for approx. 2 hours now on middle volume being barely warm with some RL60s - you newer know what you're going to expect overseas Stick out tongue

BM4000

• 09-14-2011 7:19 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Look at that doctor go!!! And listen to that, all fixed up and playing in stereo!

Very good work Gunther! Yes, leave the caps for me.. and some other stuff! I need to do something on this project too!

EDIT: I am still clueless as to how so much violent damage could happen to one of these things internally..... Absolutley crazy!

Evan

• 09-15-2011 2:43 PM In reply to

Evan:
    how so much violent damage could happen to one of these things internally.....

So do I. Looks like someone with superficial knowledge tried to fix it but was causing more trouble than he repaired. Don't know much where it was done but the guy who sold it to me told me already about some loose wires and the broken PCB behind the meter. It definitely wasn't him for sure, he got it that way.

But I do like challenges - especially if I have time to cure them. Only point I was thinking about givin' up was when suddenly tuner was back to no-function as it looked pretty much like the very first time I switched that buddy on. I wonder if the second PCB trace failure was already latent and got worse as soon as the audio power amp had to deal with real speakers instead of my Form1 that I start listening first on each repair. And the headphone socket had a little loose contact that stopped the tuner with that very effect sometimes - strange. Now it's insensitive on knocking PCB's or parts Smile

Had it running for half of the day on TAPE1 with internet radio out of my Laptop. BM4000 will have to change his listening habits as music style will surely be different. And I think I remember something like you are ok with any music but country - exactly what I am listening mostly now Embarrassed

I'll let BM4000 report when we're finished with testing the phono input so you won't have to deal with Rich's complaints in the future Stick out tongue

It's humming a little on both channels when turned up without anything connected and that's a good sign. And I'm thinking of Mika's idea with the reverse RIAA; circuitry is easy to built if it weren't the strange component values. (BTW is it were'nt or weren't? Embarrassed)

Evan:
    I need to do something on this project too!

That's why I have to keep myself from starting some cleaning work - it's definitely neccessary. But not to spoil your fun Wink

Gunther

• 09-15-2011 4:30 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Well, this certainly is a challenge, huh? You are handling it just fine though! I'm glad you are doing it because I know this is over my head.

Get your country fill now Gunther and 4000! There won't be any of that here! However, Mr. 4000, I can assure you the music collection is great!

Looking forward to the next report.

PS - weren't Smile

Evan

• 09-15-2011 4:50 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

hemenex:

Evan:
    how so much violent damage could happen to one of these things internally.....

So do I. Looks like someone with superficial knowledge tried to fix it but was causing more trouble than he repaired. Don't know much where it was done but the guy who sold it to me told me already about some loose wires and the broken PCB behind the meter. It definitely wasn't him for sure, he got it that way.

But I do like challenges - especially if I have time to cure them. Only point I was thinking about givin' up was when suddenly tuner was back to no-function as it looked pretty much like the very first time I switched that buddy on. I wonder if the second PCB trace failure was already latent and got worse as soon as the audio power amp had to deal with real speakers instead of my Form1 that I start listening first on each repair. And the headphone socket had a little loose contact that stopped the tuner with that very effect sometimes - strange. Now it's insensitive on knocking PCB's or parts Smile

Had it running for half of the day on TAPE1 with internet radio out of my Laptop. BM4000 will have to change his listening habits as music style will surely be different. And I think I remember something like you are ok with any music but country - exactly what I am listening mostly now Embarrassed

I'll let BM4000 report when we're finished with testing the phono input so you won't have to deal with Rich's complaints in the future Stick out tongue

It's humming a little on both channels when turned up without anything connected and that's a good sign. And I'm thinking of Mika's idea with the reverse RIAA; circuitry is easy to built if it weren't the strange component values. (BTW is it were'nt or weren't? Embarrassed)

Evan:
    I need to do something on this project too!

That's why I have to keep me from starting some cleaning work - it's definitely neccessary. But not to spoil your fun Wink

Gunther

Oh, I'll probably still find something to complain about.  That's what I do!

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 09-15-2011 7:34 PM In reply to

Rich:
    And I think I remember something like you are ok with any music but country - exactly what I am listening mostly now Embarrassed

I love country, try this one even Evan wil love it, Cadillac, but will need a subwoofer to get it all out

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 09-16-2011 1:46 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Nice step by step diagnosing and repairs. And nice photos.
    I like.
    PM me your address and I'll find a correct S-meter bracket.

Martin

• 09-16-2011 2:42 AM In reply to

Rich:
    Oh, I'll probably still find something to complain about.  That's what I do!

Ok, and we will most likely find something to prove you wrong again Stick out tongueStick out tongueStick out tongue

Gunther

@ Martin: Thanks, PM sent.

• 09-16-2011 8:22 AM In reply to

Evan:

OK, so now I'm in a state I can live with. Now should be able to survive the long travel Smile

First I had to prove the "Rich"-Test: Stick out tongue

Phono plays fine - wow. Something that worked without having the need of repair Cool

Well, now's assembling time. Sheet metal screws replaced by pretty similar M4 ones; at least they are black as well. And they have the correct thread Wink

Brackets still missing, screws not original but fitting & one foot fitted who's definitely wrong but to be sure not to scratch my new owner's furniture by chance - he wouldn't be pleased I can imagine.

And as he wants to do something too - here's to you Big Smile

• 09-16-2011 8:30 AM In reply to

Great thread, I always enjoy quality photos of B&O innards Yes -  thumbs up

I have a BM4000 as well, but now I'm not sure if I've ever opened it... it worked fine when I got it (even without apparent idle current problems) but has a noisy transformer, so I haven't really set it up for use anywhere.

-mika

• 09-16-2011 8:32 AM In reply to

And finally - something's missing here. But it's an easy mechanical fix - if you're not someone with 2 left hands.

I can imagine a piece of black plastic will do.

Unless there are new findings (hopefully not) I will have several days of test run through the day and will be quiet for now.

This thread will be continued when travel time gets closer. So much for now, here's an actual picture how I look like after all these treatments.

All the best,

BM4000 (happy again Big SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig Smile)

• 09-16-2011 1:38 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

hemenex:

Evan:

OK, so now I'm in a state I can live with. Now should be able to survive the long travel Smile

First I had to prove the "Rich"-Test: Stick out tongue

Phono plays fine - wow. Something that worked without having the need of repair Cool

Well, now's assembling time. Sheet metal screws replaced by pretty similar M4 ones; at least they are black as well. And they have the correct thread Wink

Brackets still missing, screws not original but fitting & one foot fitted who's definitely wrong but to be sure not to scratch my new owner's furniture by chance - he wouldn't be pleased I can imagine.

And as he wants to do something too - here's to you Big Smile

The Rich test is very important, it is critical to the foundation of my TT!

Good, proper hardware, always a plus! I have actaully planned some new furniture for this installation, furniture that would have the reverse effect - damaging the BeoMaster potentially. But, that foot will protect it. I wouldn't be pleased if either happened!

Ok, I can handle the rest! You are looking FANTASTIC 4000!!!! Thank you so much Gunther!! SmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

Evan

• 09-19-2011 2:14 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

tournedos:

I have a BM4000 as well, but now I'm not sure if I've ever opened it... it worked fine when I got it (even without apparent idle current problems) but has a noisy transformer, so I haven't really set it up for use anywhere.

Oooohhhh, open it, open it, open it!  You know what waits inside....

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 09-19-2011 2:36 PM In reply to

Rich:
    Oooohhhh, open it, open it, open it!  You know what waits inside....

I certainly know what should wait in there, but for some reason it has been robbed from nearly all the kit I've bought Super Angry

Anyway, the forum unfortunately has a better memory than me: of course I have been in there and even found the schematic Smile

-mika

• 09-21-2011 5:10 AM In reply to

I love this thread, mr. 4000! Nice to see you in better condition. I happen to own a couple of your big brothers in natural aluminium, Beomaster 4400. Going through one of them with new capacitors when I have the time for it Smile

Beocenter 9300, Beogam CD50, Beocord 5500, Beomaster 3400, Beomaster 4400, 2 Beogram 4000, Beomaster 8000, 2 beogram 8002, Beovox S-75, Beovox MS150.2, Beovox RL6000, Beovox S-35, Beomaster 6000, 2 Beocord 9000, Beocord 8004, Beocord 5000, Form 1, 2x Beolink 1000, Beo4, MX3500, LS4500. Born 1993.

• 09-23-2011 7:55 AM In reply to

Just a quick update: Look what came on Tuesday Big SmileBig SmileBig Smile

I'm gonna have the artificial part removed and replaced by an original Big Smile

I do have friends !!! Laughing

Martin sent me some genuine parts to make me feel better. So much for the bracket:

• 09-23-2011 8:23 AM In reply to

And the black thingies - what are they?

They are definitely NOT plastic - should have remembered that Big Smile

And look - I have a new ID - and it's NOT a copy!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for all this - I'm really being cared of Big SmileBig SmileBig Smile

And the looks get better every day - gaps are closed.

So long - will be back if any news..

BM4000

@Soren H: You could have a look at me next May Stick out tongue

• 09-23-2011 8:56 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

THIS IS AMAZING!!! Thank you Martin!!! And Gunther, of course (for your hard work as usual)!!!

Looking great Mr. 4000, just great!!

Evan

Page 2 of 2 (44 items) < Previous 1 2