in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-08-2011 6:48 PM by RWST. 57 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (58 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-02-2011 3:39 PM

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Any questions for the new CEO ?

On the 8th of June, both Peter and myself will be interviewing the new CEO of Bang & Olufsen Tue Mantoni in Struer, for BeoWorld.

So..  are there any questions you'd like me to ask?

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING THOUGH..

1) Tue Mantoni is not an electronics engineer - he won't be able to tell you if HDMI 7.2 can carry an ethernet signal via a STARTEC 73.9 converter as the ML Gateway should - or if the new BeoSound 8 should be using a twin-fulcrum circuit board with liquid cooled resistors.. (i made those up, honest).

2) He is new to the job and may be unfamiliar with the tiniest details of the tenure of those who went before him.

So...

I'd say the most pertinent questions (and ones which will get answered) will be the general direction of the company on a worldwide basis (region specific if you like) - and ones about the general product line up and which technologies will be pursued.

He is new to the job and is working 12-14 hour days, every day in order to get a feel for the company and to try and 'put out the fires' which need extinguishing first.  After that, i'm sure the rebuilding will start on the retail element - and i'm sure a continuation on what Kalle Hvidt Nielsen started on the technology front.

Customer service and brand-building are (i think) his key skills - so maybe ask about how he plans to take B&O forward in those areas too?

So with the above in mind - questions please!

Lee

Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 06-02-2011 4:12 PM In reply to

Re: Any questions for the new CEO ?

Hi Lee, 

Ask him if he feels that making more affordable products is the way forward or will he concentrate on the higher end products that only the select few can afford?

Cheers Nick 

• 06-02-2011 4:58 PM In reply to

when's he going to go the whole hog and dump windoze and fully embrace apple ?

25k bs8 sales don't lie

• 06-02-2011 5:23 PM In reply to

"Do you see the market for the new channel, and its speciality products, always wanting separate components - or do expect to evolve technology bridges between those components and the traditional integrated Beolink products to enable those customers to extend their investment, - or will those standalone products be like iPods, disposable consumer products  ? "

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 06-02-2011 5:38 PM In reply to

Hi Lee,

Please can you ask if there are any entry level televisions planned 2-3K aimed at a simular customer who say buys the BS8? (Electric curtains please but not bothered about ML etc)

Thank you buddy

• 06-02-2011 5:57 PM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

1.) Is there a future for B&O with integrated media Apps in their T.V systems?

2.) 3D, does he see it as fad or future?

3.) David Lewis design, Is it a case of: "If it aint broke don't fix it" or "a bit long in the tooth"?

• 06-02-2011 8:01 PM In reply to

'Will there be franchise stores in Australia?'

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 06-02-2011 10:03 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Wow Lee + Peter! Good luck to you guys!

I am a bit of a customer service nut and I'm glad you already made a note of it, Lee.

What method will he use to ensure that all BeoStores (as well as corporate customer service avenues) are nothing less than courteous and helpful?

How will the new corporate Bang & Olufsen reinforce positive customer service and "police" those that are negative?

Evan

• 06-03-2011 12:42 AM In reply to

When will B&O make BeoPort become a true audio master?

This would instantly make it the most affordable BeoSound and boost sales for the younger, computer-based, customers.

And if at the same time, B&O could release a true BeoPlayer/BeoPort software for Mac users, or simply release BeoConnect for BeoPort, it would be a real plus..Stick out tongue

When will B&O launch their long-awaited digital platform??

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 06-03-2011 1:47 AM In reply to

• dueno
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-29-2007
    • bordeaux
    • Posts 147
    • Founder

when will beo integrate apple airplay in their products?

never explain never complain

• 06-03-2011 2:44 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Will B&O work stronger against far east copycats ?

Martin

• 06-03-2011 4:48 AM In reply to

Please ask him, if he knows what a Wedthred© is?????   Stick out tongue Stick out tongue Stick out tongue Stick out tongue

-Dimitris

• 06-03-2011 5:08 AM In reply to

• petermc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Shepparton, Australia
    • Posts 87
    • Founder

Are there any plans to make any of the products 'upgradable' by the customer without the need of going via a dealer or service centre?

By this I mean having the option (say) of being able to upgrade a PUC control device on a TV via the B&O website and uploading it to the TV without the need of a service call. At the moment if I wanted to get a new Samsung BluRay player and operate it via the Beo4 I would have to get service to come on a 4-5 hour round trip for a 2 minute job.

The same could be said about Beo5/6 and I'm sure a number of other products.

I'm not talking about major software updates or repairs etc - just basic/small changes that need might to be made.

Peter

• 06-03-2011 5:23 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

Like Paul said. With the success of an up to date and affordable product in the Beosound 8, please learn from this and make an affordable, but desirable Bang and Olufsen television again.

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 06-03-2011 10:42 AM In reply to

• RWST
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-12-2010
    • Amsterdam, NL
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

Dear Mr. Mantoni,

As a company, B&O seems to be fairly slow in adapting ever changing technological trends. Where, as it looks like, the majority of producers and consumers, both high and low end, are embracing 3D and Apple integration, B&O is failing to catch on. 

It is like Fiat's top model car being equipped with Tiptronic and Ferrari still only being available with a manual gearbox.

As such, B&O as a product, appears to be overpaid. Nice in design but too expensive for the technology it offers.

Being the new captain on the ship, are you planning to maintain the course or change direction?

As a B&O fan and owner, I hope the latter.

Regards,

Richard

Thanks Lee.

• 06-03-2011 11:05 AM In reply to

They seem to be very much focused on TVs.

Besides speakers, which obviously go along with the TVs as well is he going to pay more attention to Audio Products, will we see a broad range of digital audio products similar to BS5/Encore.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 06-03-2011 12:03 PM In reply to

How much wage does he get?Big Smile

B&O item 1, B&O item 2, B&O item 3,...................B&O item 735

Beovirus? What's that?

• 06-03-2011 12:22 PM In reply to

Humm... not sure it is a smart move to go in such a closed ecosystem as Apple's one! bs8 sell high because it was cheap and a lot of people have an ipod/iphone/ipad...

the future of B&O is not the average user. it is the field of Sony/Samsung... If B&O want to attract customer, it should stay at the upper level by using state of the art technology. A good move would be, for example, to include hard drive recorder in TV, DNLA client like in the new Beosound 5 Encore...

Well, it is my opinion of course, but at least when I spend 15k€ in an equipement, I want the best and the smartest one. not an apple dock ;)

sergio

• 06-03-2011 1:18 PM In reply to

DrDimitris:

Please ask him, if he knows what a Wedthred© is?????   Stick out tongue Stick out tongue Stick out tongue Stick out tongue

Yes -  thumbs upLaughingLaughingLaughing

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 06-03-2011 1:20 PM In reply to

jk1002:

They seem to be very much focused on TVs.

Besides speakers, which obviously go along with the TVs as well is he going to pay more attention to Audio Products, will we see a broad range of digital audio products similar to BS5/Encore.

Good point. Personally I'm not interested in TV's and home cinema. Would love to hear B&O's plans for audio equipment.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 06-03-2011 1:32 PM In reply to

OMG, unless you are very wealthy, I certainly would not call the BS8 cheap!!!

Outside of home cinema is there really a market for audio?  Technics would certainly say not!

• 06-03-2011 2:17 PM In reply to

I think this is the big question. Where do you go with the audio range when the movement is towards a cloud based system? The speakers are clearly a very good start but to sell a premium audio system is tricky - all you really need is a superb DAC and a control system. And with the BL5s, the DAC is not needed.

My opinion is that they need to go to some form of voice control, but I am afraid that this will be far more likely to be a computer company success than B&O.

• 06-03-2011 2:19 PM In reply to

Paul Winn:

Outside of home cinema is there really a market for audio?  Technics would certainly say not!

Inexpensive is probably a better word to describe the Beosound 8 in the B&O range.  Yes there is a market for audio.  In this forum there are many postings about audio especially the renewed interest in vinyl and also the various ways of distributing audio through the home.  

I don't exactly have a question but wonder if the  main range of B&O products will be developed into something less than what it has been.  I thought the press release about the new category was intentionally vague to test the reaction of B&O owners and investors.  Beosound 8 is an important product and they should have more products like it.  However it is difficult to march to Apple's standards in music player market.  The Apple presentation in San Francisco on June 6th introducing new software and of course iCloud should be interesting.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 06-03-2011 2:22 PM In reply to

I just saw Peter's comments.  I agree there should be a high quality Bang & Olufsen DAC available that is ML and Beonet enabled.  That would solve a lot of problems on my system.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 06-03-2011 4:25 PM In reply to

Paul Winn:

I was a little pushy on this one. my point was not to say that Apple products are not worth it. I will say it differently.

Why B&0 products are so popular? basically for multiple reasons :

- designs

- quality

- price

I will detail them now.

Design is the most evident one. Just go to an HiFi or TV shop near you, and except for B&O and Loewe, other product lack of really good design. Why? Simply, but not only, because it takes time to make a good design. The frequence of new product realease is not compatible to such time spent on Design reseach...

Quality. I often hear people saying that BL5 are not worth it, that B&0 are not comparable to super high HiFi with tube... The truth is that quality was always a major concern at B&O. And not only technical quality, but also quality in making products, quality in design, in process... quality is everywhere. When a product is release, it is the results of multiple level of quality.

Price. Nor for me, but for some people, price is a major concern when buying a product. A good product is a pricey one. Kind of lame, but that how the world works. And it is a shame for B&O because these customers are not the one that fully appreciate quality.

I leave one thing appart : integration.

Look back in time (no delorean needed ;)), but what B&O did with 2 ways remote, masterlink, ... is the future before it happens. That was a great idea : to integrate all the equipment and allow customer to have one remote with all the informations.

For those who haven't B&O products, how many remote control do you have on your table? One for TV? One for BR player? One for network player? One for STB player?... of course, all in one products exists, like Logitech. yes, but what about Design and Quality...?

So, is the future of B&O in Apple airplay integration or entry price TV? I don't think so. Future of B&O is where its success was : Design, Quality and Integration. It should continue to be autonomous and be careful to not sacrifice quality over rentability. Quality takes time and so, new products can not on a 6 months basis. What we all want it quality, and not Chinese made product.

The new Beonet protocol looks interesting. What was done with Beomaster5 and Beomedia1 using Windows XP Embedded show that B&O have software developement capabilities. the next evolution? maybe hard drive recording in TV, tework media player.

cheers,

sergio

Page 1 of 3 (58 items) 1 2 3 Next >