in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-05-2011 5:55 AM by moxxey. 49 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (50 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-31-2011 12:00 PM In reply to

Re: Beovision 10. Where to buy? London based

Hi Snappyandrew,

Im in the same position, I love the BV10 but simply cannot justify the out of this world price/margin! Like the BS8, I'm really thinking that we need to see some 2K tv's etc. I think the problem is that there is a lot of good equipment out there four times cheaper etc.

• 05-31-2011 12:05 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

Agreed. Ironically when even some of the better make were pretty ropey, B&O was about twice the price. Now even some of the bulk standard tvs are pretty good they are in some cases 10-13 times the price! Madness. And why am i getting prices of £950 quoted for a Beosound 8? Is this correct?

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 05-31-2011 2:46 PM In reply to

• Bucko
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2009
    • sheffield
    • Posts 7
    • Gold Member

Chris

Visited my dealer up here in Yorkshire last week,Beosound 8 was £950.I was interested in Beolab 9's which were quoted at £6200.Also Beocom 6000 was £490,Beocom 2 £710 and i think the Beosound 5 was £4800 which included the table stand.

Nick 

• 05-31-2011 3:02 PM In reply to

Bucko:
    Beosound 8 was £950

In the US its USD 999.00, how comes ?

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 05-31-2011 3:37 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

Story of our lives in the Uk i'm afraid. If it's decent, it HAS to be more expensive. It's almost a class thing that infests our shops, showrooms and real estate.

I put "technics' and "B&O" in google the other day and saw some very revealing prices!!!!! 

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 05-31-2011 3:39 PM In reply to

• Bucko
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2009
    • sheffield
    • Posts 7
    • Gold Member

Soren,

With a current exchange rate of $1.64 = £1 that makes the BS8 approx. £610,so we're paying about 55% more than our American friends for the same product.That seems alot even if you add on differences in tax etc.

Not sure whats going on tbh....maybe B&O have different pricing structures in different market's.

Nick

• 05-31-2011 4:53 PM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

So, travelling to the US, you just need to buy one.

Don't forget to get rid of the original box (send it to your home by mail), but it in your hand luggage - and tell the guys at customs

"it is just a ghetto blaster" (without the battery compartment...)

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 05-31-2011 5:19 PM In reply to

• Opman
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-31-2007
    • Cheshire, UK
    • Posts 323
    • Bronze Member

chris:

Agreed. Ironically when even some of the better make were pretty ropey, B&O was about twice the price. Now even some of the bulk standard tvs are pretty good they are in some cases 10-13 times the price! Madness. And why am i getting prices of £950 quoted for a Beosound 8? Is this correct?

BeoSound8 sells for £895 in Liverpool.

• 05-31-2011 5:43 PM In reply to

No wonder the BS8 is selling like crazy in the US. If it was £610 in the UK it would sell like that too!  Im really confused by these prices and this is why I wont pay for a BV10 as logic and intelligence is telling me that im being ripped off!

I have a lot of faith in this new CEO im sure that he will sought B&O prices out long term. Let's be honest, if he doesn't the company will sink.

• 06-01-2011 3:56 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

A few years back the CEO of Renault UK was caught admitting how the UK pricing was deliberately rigged artificially high, and how we were know as the "honey pot"!!! The reason it wouldn't happen in the USA is because they just don't accept this sort of nonsense and complain. For me it's not the money, but the fact that you feel you have been made to feel a fool of. Vote with your feet and wallet accordingly.

• 06-02-2011 2:59 PM In reply to

This thread appears to be taking a slight tangent to prices and BeoSound 8? The price Apple are selling the BeoSound 8 for is $999 exclusive of sales tax (generally 6-7%). If VAT was not an inclusive part of our pricing in the UK then it would be advertised at about £745 so all in all there would be about difference in price of about £130. Can anyone confirm if $999 is a general price across the US or one that Apple are happy to sell it for? With the exchange rate being what it is today American pricing is going to be a lot less.
  • 06-02-2011 5:55 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Was bored in Selfridges this week and went to view the B&O kit in the basement.

On the way to the B&O area, I was transfixed by the new Loewe area with a whole host of large TVs. Spent about 20 minutes looking at these TVs, their design, the built-in media centre, the cool remote and more.

Looked at the prices and wondered why I'd ever consider buying a BV10-46 for £8900.

After visiting the Loewe department, went over to the B&O area and was greeted by a really old white-haired salesman and had a very quick look at the BV10-46. Realised immediately how old fashioned a lot of B&O kit appears these days, backed by the "look" of the salesman. He also looked very bored. The BV10-46 wasn't even turned on and looked rather lame on the shop floor.

I'm a big B&O fan, but I must admit it's partly laziness that drives me/us to the brand. We go back expecting the "best" and end up paying way over the odds for certain kit which can easily be better by faster-moving rivals like Loewe.

Genuinely was surprised by the new Loewe TVs. Huge, well made, good designs, good value, all 3D, 400Hz panels, great Beo4-style remote (which costs extra) and a media centre built in to the TV. With the ability to connect my BL3s, what's not to like?

• 06-02-2011 6:40 PM In reply to

What's not to like?

Availability in the states!
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 06-04-2011 10:17 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

w5bno123:
    Can anyone confirm if $999 is a general price across the US?

Yes, this is correct. Apple has always sold B&O products for the same exact price B&O charges.

Evan

• 06-04-2011 10:37 AM In reply to

Evan:

w5bno123:
    Can anyone confirm if $999 is a general price across the US?

Yes, this is correct. Apple has always sold B&O products for the same exact price B&O charges.

The $ 999.00 is price without sales tax, it differs from state to state, from 0.00 to California 8.25 %

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 06-04-2011 2:39 PM In reply to

That's sooo not fair! That is a more affordable price! OMG it makes me feel sick knowing that the extra is simply tax!  Thats like burning money!

• 06-04-2011 3:09 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Well Paul, if it's any consolation, I still can't afford a BeoSound 8. Laughing

Evan

• 06-04-2011 3:20 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Welcome to the UK and its taxes..

When we moved into our new premises, I was told we had to pay £16,000 a year (that's 18,000€ or $25,600) in business rates - for 'services' to my business..

I called the local council offices and asked what this large amount of money got me..

Assistant - "For refuse collection?"

Me - "no, it's trade waste - i have to pay SITA to collect it"

Assistant - "Water?"

Me ' "no, as a business we have to pay Southern Water for incoming water and South East Water for our waste water.."

Assistant - "Upkeep of your communal area?"

Me - "no, we have to pay the management company as it's a private area"

Assistant - "Roads and Pavements?"

Me - "No, we pay a central charge for upkeep as it's a private estate"

Assistant - "Well.. that leaves the Police?"

Me - "the last time we had a problem, i called the Police - and they told me to call the private security company as it's private land (that will be the private security company which we pay for)"

Assistant - "errr..."

Me - "so.. for £16,000 a year - i get NOTHING"

Assistant - "umm.. it looks that way..."

Welcome to the United Kingdom - where you are always guaranteed to get nothing for something.

Big Smile 

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 06-04-2011 3:26 PM In reply to

OMG Lee, that's incredible!!!  I wouldn't mind, but the whole country is falling apart at the moment! Every sector that im dealing with are now terrified for their jobs!!!

• 06-04-2011 3:34 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

If i could - and i mean this, I'd 'up sticks' and move straight to the USA. 

A close second would be the south of France (i love France) - with Spain third.

I'd also love to visit New Zealand and Australia - they both look beautiful.

However, back to my first choice - the US.  Whenever someone who has never visited asks me what it's like and if they should go - I always give them one saying i made up when comparing to the UK.

Twice as big, Twice as good, Half the Price.

This applies to pretty much everything whether it be a restaurant, theme park, house, service, car (USA had power steering and electric windows since the 1950's - in the UK these were a 'luxury' in the 1980's!! ) - and much, much more...

That said, I'm proud to be British and I love my country - it's a beautiful place in so many ways. I just wish it could be run properly.  It's a mess.. a total shambles in almost every area of government, no matter which party takes charge.

I'm sure we could all have a moan about where we come from though... and how typically British of me to have 'Post5k' as a moan.. Laughing

Lee

Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 06-04-2011 4:32 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

9 LEE:

I'm sure we could all have a moan about where we come from though... and how typically British of me to have 'Post5k' as a moan.. Laughing

Lee

Smile

Not really a moan Lee - just saying it as it is.

I am absolutely disgusted how each & every government in my lifetime has incrementally ripped off & disenfranchised the people of this country to the stage where I now find it very difficult to feel any pride whatsoever in Britain Sad.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 06-04-2011 5:01 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Congrats on Post5k Lee!

I'm delighted to hear you like the US so much! You are welcome anytime! 

Evan

• 06-04-2011 5:54 PM In reply to

Yes South of France is my favourite and having a Spanish Mum and Grandad i'd definately say Spain (Valencia or Barcelona).  A few friends from university have set up life in Australia now (Gold Coast and Sydney) and are having the most beautiful life so yep very nice. Saying that I love Scandinavia very much too!

• 06-05-2011 5:48 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Paul Winn:

OMG Lee, that's incredible!!!  I wouldn't mind, but the whole country is falling apart at the moment! Every sector that im dealing with are now terrified for their jobs!!!

Paul, out of interest, did you used to be referred to as The Beonic Man, by any chance? :)

Slight over exaggeration. The whole country is not falling apart. Retail sales, as always, are on the increase. Bath and other tourist locations have seen a rise in visitors. Service sector charges more than ever, hotels booked up in London and other popular locations.

There are still tons of people in the UK - B&O customers, sadly - who are making money from property. My landlords are a good example. Both late 40s, own £2 million of property in Bath, but work in fairly mediocre jobs for BT. They have made so much money from property, it enables them to have thousands of pounds in disposable income. They can't stop spending - no wonder retail is constantly up.

I'm not saying things aren't tough, certainly in some sectors, but to say the whole of the country is "falling apart" is, well, panic worthy. That's the kind of talk that does get people panicked.

For me, the America/UK price issue has always been that way. It's the same for Apple products, clothing and much more. If you live in New Zealand, the difference (between US/NZ) is even greater still.

I don't think the Beosound 8 is overpriced, for B&O kit. Hell, two Beocom 5 phones are more expensive!

• 06-05-2011 5:55 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

9 LEE:

That said, I'm proud to be British and I love my country - it's a beautiful place in so many ways. I just wish it could be run properly.  It's a mess.. a total shambles in almost every area of government, no matter which party takes charge.

I deal with a lot of international partners. You'd be surprised how many of them think the UK is the place to be, particularly the Chinese, Russians and similar "up and coming" countries. They love our history, our approach to life, our countryside and more.

The grass isn't always greener. My brother moved from London to New Zealand 6 years ago and there are plenty of negatives about being in NZ. Much harder to be successful in business over there. Lots of regulations. Hard to export goods etc etc. He's looking at moving back to the UK, but is likely to move to Australia first (he's now a NZ citizen).

Scandinavia is great, but the tax is set at 50% and goods much more expensive (ever drank beer in Sweden?). Also, the weather isn't great. Even my Swedish friends moan it's still too cold, in May. At least in the UK we've had some fabulous weather for the last couple of months.

I bought an apartment a while ago in Italy. Great weather, great food, great people. But there are masses of property regulations over there that drive you nuts. Also, it's not actually that hot outside May to September. You can go over there third week in September and hit a heavy rain storm. I've known days where it's as low as 9c at the end of September. 

It's just so simple to sit on the couch and say "it's better elsewhere!", but until you've lived in those countries, you'll soon find there are as many negatives as positives.

Page 2 of 2 (50 items) < Previous 1 2