in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-12-2011 5:36 PM by david coyne. 92 replies.
Page 4 of 4 (93 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-11-2011 10:13 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Re: Kalle Hvidt Nielsen is out. Replacing him as President and CEO is Tue Mantoni

vikinger:
    Next (now this) year, according to Bloomberg, China will become the biggest market for Rolls Royce cars. HmmHmmHmm

Graham

But it's British (traditionally so) and the Chinese love all things British. No idea why, it's a dump, but they love the history, the pagentry and "quaint" nature of our architecture.

I'd prefer to live in Denmark.

• 02-11-2011 10:21 AM In reply to

Re: Kalle Hvidt Nielsen is out. Replacing him as President and CEO is Tue Mantoni

Oh come on - it is quite amusing that one gets an email from B&O to attract users of a certain platform (iPad) to use one of B&O products, and the presentation doesn't work on said platform! I know one can blame Apple for this, but B&O clearly know the limitations. If it was aimed at generic tablets, then blame Apple. If aimed at the iPad (which it is!), who's to blame!

Doesn't worry me but it makes B&O look a little silly and will probably put people off rather than attract them, which is a shame. They clearly need a media savvy individual with charisma - what about that chap in the recent BeoNews? Big Smile

• 02-11-2011 10:51 AM In reply to

Yes , it IS odd and a bit scary tbh

What's even more bizarre is when you click on the email link , it takes you to search results for the beosoun8 "BEOSOUN8"

not the beosound 8

there's NO RESULTS - you have to do a manual search for the beosound 8 !!!

they couldn't even get THAT right ! LOL

• 02-11-2011 11:01 AM In reply to

moxxey:

vikinger:
    Next (now this) year, according to Bloomberg, China will become the biggest market for Rolls Royce cars. HmmHmmHmm

Graham

But it's British (traditionally so) and the Chinese love all things British. No idea why, it's a dump, but they love the history, the pagentry and "quaint" nature of our architecture.

I'd prefer to live in Denmark.

I have had several goes at a diplomatic reply.

Regards Graham

• 02-11-2011 11:39 AM In reply to

Depends what part of the uk you live in I guess . Where I live the architecture is really rather nice , no wonder there's so many tourists buzzing around taking photos all the time.

• 02-11-2011 11:46 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

joeyboygolf:

I have had several goes at a diplomatic reply.

Don't. It was partly ironic and tongue-in-cheek. Couldn't you see that?

• 02-11-2011 11:51 AM In reply to

Let's not fall out with eachother! 

England is quaint and beautiful! (Unless you happen to be in the town centre of any major city)

• 02-11-2011 12:10 PM In reply to

Just a minor item when it comes to "doesn't work on all websites."

Flash is the devil's protocol. It is proprietary, it hogs CPU and it empties batteries. It is also a vehicle for anyone wanting to snoop on what you are doing on your computer, and for those who wish to siphon your user habits for various uses.

Unfortunately, it was the protocol of choice for developing various media interactions.

Apple and a number of other companies are holding out for html5, vimeo, h.264 and other open-source protocols, that are not proprietary, and that do not eat CPU. It is working, as more and more companies are developing in open source. This means that our mobile phones, laptops, etc will last a lot longer before needing a recharge. Adobe isn't happy, of course, as they own Flash - but in the long run it's going to be a major improvement.

And if you want, you can activate html5 when using YouTube, and see what a difference it makes.

I agree that it would be smart if B&O had ensured that content designed to be read on the iPad could be read on the iPad.

• 02-11-2011 12:27 PM In reply to

"I agree that it would be smart if B&O had ensured that content designed to be read on the iPad could be read on the iPad."

yes that would help :D

• 02-11-2011 12:59 PM In reply to

2nd attempt at posting. (I must get into the habit of copying the whole message before I hit the 'Post' button because it is such a pain to get an error message and lose your text).

Kalle looks very uncomfortable in that video. You can bet that he's had a fall-out with the board over not being able to do something, and that Tue has said that he will be able to deliver whatever they are asking for.

It was ever so in these corporate organisations. It's no different from the keen graduate being taken on to replace more experienced staff. He's cheaper, and whilst the cynical experienced guys will usually be right about what can or can't be done, every now and then the new recruit will come up with something that really is new and works.

It's just a gamble for the company: not much different from a football club owner replacing the manager after poor results when the real problem was  a lack of new players (due to a lack of funds/ paying customers).

I wouldn't take too much notice of the corporate presentations. Every company does it and most employees know the true situation but dare not say anything that might upset management. You really need to hear the views of people who have just retired or have left the company without a 'Gagging Order' agreement.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 02-11-2011 1:03 PM In reply to

vikinger:
    I wouldn't take too much notice of the corporate presentations.

Yes, especially as those videos are not intended to be public, but are for the dealer network.

• 02-11-2011 2:47 PM In reply to

PhilLondon:

vikinger:

Yes, especially as those videos are not intended to be public, but are for the dealer network.

I agree Phil but you know how videos intended for employees always get onto the internet and in this case reflect badly on the company.  In my experience there is a press release stating the current CEO has resigned to pursue other interests and then the new CEO is named.  Finally the new CEO in featured on a video for employees talking how things are going to be better..we have a great company..let's all work together etc.

Mr Nielsen looked like he had just come from a family funeral.  I think the whole thing was badly handled.  Worse yet, it may indicate confusion at the director level.  It appears they are having problems deciding the course of action to follow.  I hope I am wrong.

When I first saw the video, I thought it was a business update from the BBC.  They need to change the look of the introduction.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 02-11-2011 2:57 PM In reply to

PhilLondon:

vikinger:

That goes without saying! What a disaster it would be for customers to see that stuff in a B&O store! I'm sure many people on this forum have gone through the corporate presentations in their own organisations. It's all a bit of a game isn't it? Places I've worked, each new CEO brought his own management consultant advisors with him, rubbished the last guy, tried to brainwash everyone with corporate speak about the new way forward, created chaos, got a multimillion package to move on..... same again with the next guy.....   Engineering departments get sold off, then re-created............. and so on and so on. Unfortunately everything is about presentation these days rather than content. A problem paralleled by a superficial media!

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 02-12-2011 12:15 PM In reply to

vikinger:

Already a year ago, 60% of Phaetons, all made in Dresden, were sold... not in Germany, not in Britain and most certainly not in the U.S.

China.

The best-selling Hermès boutique in the world is not in Paris, not in NYC, and not in Palm Beach.

Shanghai.

• 02-12-2011 12:35 PM In reply to

XavierItzmann:

vikinger:

Already a year ago, 60% of Phaetons, all made in Dresden, were sold... not in Germany, not in Britain and most certainly not in the U.S.

China.

The best-selling Hermès boutique in the world is not in Paris, not in NYC, and not in Palm Beach.

Shanghai.

Great for Rolls Royce and it does point out China is an important market for luxury goods.  However GM sells more Buicks in China than in the US.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-11-04/gm-china-october-sales-rise-19-6-on-buick-chevrolet-cadillac-car-demand.html

I have no idea why the Chinese like Buicks but I think you have to do more that open a nice big store in Shanghai to generate sales for B&O.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 02-12-2011 1:28 PM In reply to

Are we talking about RR or VW? Laughing

(for anyone interested, please click below for some great shots of Phaeton production in Dresden)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1837641

• 02-12-2011 2:37 PM In reply to

Hey, the Phantom may have a 12-cylinder BMW engine, but it is no all-German, Dresden-built, Phaeton 12-cylinder.

Laughing

• 02-12-2011 5:36 PM In reply to

bayerische:

OK, wonder why that is...?

I'm not changing pants as often as they are changing CEO's... Big Smile

Oh, Andreas, that is wrong in so many ways!!!!!! Greetings to you from Sydney

BV8-40, BC6-26, BC2, Beolab 9's, Beogram 7000, Beogram 9500, Beoport, Beotalk 1200, Beocom 6000, Beolit 1000, 800, 700, 600, 400

Page 4 of 4 (93 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4