in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-07-2011 8:27 PM by elephant. 49 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (50 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-04-2011 8:52 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Re: My visit today to B&O. Beolab 11 owners please chime in.

I could not distinguish a difference in sound in the showroom with BL4000's and BL11, but of course it would sound better at home.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 01-04-2011 9:52 AM In reply to

i would say they forgot to switch the BL11 on.

• 01-04-2011 10:33 AM In reply to

Hi,

I have a Beovision 10 with BL3s as front, BL4000s mark1 as rears and BL11 as sub. The difference is very noticeable. As stated before it liberates the rest of the speakers and they sound more clear.

The effect is a very equilibrated bass, not a crazy boom boom. But you can listen and feel its presence. In some action movies actually you fell the vibration. In concerts in BR and DVD shines too. I remember playing a Sting concert and believe me the bass is very strong but realistic. No is no weak at all it is more than enough in my opinion. Actually so far I received a couple of complains in my condo.

I had the same doubts you have when I bought mine and agreed with my dealer to return it in case I didn't like it with my setup and with the accoustic of my apartment. It took me a few minutes and a couple of songs to realize it was a keeper.

• 01-04-2011 10:36 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Maybe the difference of opinions between Dimitris and Karel is due to the BL8000.

Apparently, Karel has the MK1 and Dimitris the MK2, with the new drivers and the bass enhancement.

I had a few years ago the MK2 version and the bass were really good...

• 01-04-2011 10:51 AM In reply to

From what I've heard and read & noticed.. In order to make the BL11 shine it's crucial to have the setup correct.  

Activate the subwoofer in the Sound menu (in an AV situation.. very often forgotten!!!!); and have the correct dip-switches on the bottom of the BL11.
    Connect it to the Subwoofer PL in a surround setup
    Or connect BeoLab speakers to the BL11 in a non surround setup.

Just plugging it in won't do it.

And it's correct that I have the BL8000's MKI; I do not believe that the BL11 would add to the sound of BL1/5/9/Penta

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 01-04-2011 10:53 AM In reply to

Spiros:
    DrDimitris:

TheMajor:

Is the BL11 really that bad? 

Yes. Waste of money IMHO

Dimitri!!!!!!!!! Absolutely disagree!!!!! I put the BL11 along with a pair of 4000 and when setup correctly it is absolutely marvelous. I think that BL11 is what is actually missing from BL4000, 6000 even 8000 in some cases. I did buy and will not regret it. The bass is the exact volume it should be. It adds up as much as needed. Dimitri you are 1,5 hours drive so I'm waiting...........

Since my friend Spiros is happy with BL11, i am happy too! I will come visit you soon to hear it in your setup my friend. Yes -  thumbs up

-Dimitris

• 01-04-2011 10:55 AM In reply to

steph:

Maybe the difference of opinions between Dimitris and Karel is due to the BL8000.

Apparently, Karel has the MK1 and Dimitris the MK2, with the new drivers and the bass enhancement.

I had a few years ago the MK2 version and the bass were really good...

Correct, i have the MKII BL8000's as fronts.

-Dimitris

• 01-04-2011 5:30 PM In reply to

• Matthew
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-01-2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

After a month of having our BL11 at home, added to our BL6000's, I am clearly in the "for" camp. I would agree with all the comments regarding the way it liberates the top end of the BL6000's. To me, the bottom end now seems much richer and fuller.

I find the difference is generally subtle, but noticeable, for most types of music. However, when listening to electronic music (e.g. Underworld or Aphex Twin), which tends to have more lower frequency sounds, the set-up really shines. Therefore, I think it depends on how the recording was engineered as to how much you notice the BL11. Like others have said, it's not an overbearing "booming" bass, but it's clear and precise.

We also watched Inception on DVD the other day, which seems to have a lot of low frequencies in the sound track, and the effect of the BL11, even at modest volumes, was very noticeable, and enjoyable. So we are very happy with the addition of the BL11.

Despite my opinion, as has been stated on many threads, one's response to a speaker set-up is very personal, so you do really need to test it with your own speakers in your home.

• 01-05-2011 4:42 AM In reply to

Matthew:
    We also watched Inception on DVD the other day, which seems to have a lot of low frequencies in the sound track, and the effect of the BL11, even at modest volumes, was very noticeable, and enjoyable.

So did we !

But I think I was so engrossed in the film that I missed the effect of the BeoLab 11 ... I think I better schedule a re-viewing this weekend :D

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-05-2011 5:52 AM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

DrDimitris:

Spiros:
    DrDimitris:

TheMajor:

Is the BL11 really that bad? 

Yes. Waste of money IMHO

Dimitri!!!!!!!!! Absolutely disagree!!!!! I put the BL11 along with a pair of 4000 and when setup correctly it is absolutely marvelous. I think that BL11 is what is actually missing from BL4000, 6000 even 8000 in some cases. I did buy and will not regret it. The bass is the exact volume it should be. It adds up as much as needed. Dimitri you are 1,5 hours drive so I'm waiting...........

Since my friend Spiros is happy with BL11, i am happy too! I will come visit you soon to hear it in your setup my friend. Yes -  thumbs up

I'm preparing the coffee!! Waiting.....

Best regards

Spiros

• 01-05-2011 7:38 AM In reply to

• hotknife
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-03-2008
    • Solingen/Germany
    • Posts 552
    • Bronze Member

DrDimitris,

after you have drunken the coffee from Spirios, you will not be able to judge the BL11, because you are hypered Big Smile

With BL4000 and up to BL6000, yes the BL11 would be a good subwoofer (better than you do not have any subwoofer). But you have a pair of BL8000. Imo, the BL8000 will not benifet from the BL11.

BL2 is for you the only solution, believe me. Come over to Germany and listen to the combination BL8002/BL2. A cold bottle of lager (not coffee) is waiting for you Cool

BeoVision 8-40, ATV2, BeoSound 4, Front BeoLab 9, Rear Beolab 4000 MKII, Beo 4

• 01-05-2011 8:03 AM In reply to

@hotknife: again... BL8000's improve with BL11. If you don't believe me, contact my neighbors!

Setup is key when installing the BL11. So please RTFM when installing. I rest my case.

If people don't notice any improvement 1) the setup is wrong or 2)go see a doctor and let him check your hearing

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 01-05-2011 8:47 AM In reply to

• hotknife
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-03-2008
    • Solingen/Germany
    • Posts 552
    • Bronze Member

Karel,

I also could say ....again. I`ve asked in total 6 different people from B&O (shopowners and technician form B&O). I`ve listenend to both subwoofers in different shops.

Because I`m able to connect the speaker/subwoofer to the DSS-module of my 8-40, I´m able to adjust the subwoofer. If you have to plug both speakers into the subwoofer and the subwoofer has to pass the higher freqencies, it could be different, because somebody only has corner/wall/free stand.

Because I do not have the space, I was not able to buy a pair of BL9. So I went for the BL8002/BL2.

Of cause, everything is personal preference. In my case the BL11 would have been wasted money.

Again: Up to BL6000 go for the BL11, starting with BL8000/BL9 go for the BL2. If you owe the BL5 and you are still in need for a subwoofer, visit the doctor.

BeoVision 8-40, ATV2, BeoSound 4, Front BeoLab 9, Rear Beolab 4000 MKII, Beo 4

• 01-05-2011 8:51 AM In reply to

hotknife:

If you owe the BL5 and you are still in need for a subwoofer, visit the doctor.

Agreed!!

BL11 is also connected to the surround module on my BV3-32... anyway.. I'm delighted with the the extra sound that's coming out of my 8000's/BL11 combo.

• 01-05-2011 10:12 AM In reply to

Karel Uyttendaele:

@hotknife: again... BL8000's improve with BL11. If you don't believe me, contact my neighbors!

Setup is key when installing the BL11. So please RTFM when installing. I rest my case.

If people don't notice any improvement 1) the setup is wrong or 2)go see a doctor and let him check your hearing

____go see a doctor and let him check your hearing____

where have i read that beforeLaughing

• 01-06-2011 1:24 PM In reply to

Controversial opinions. If i can add something to it is this. I think we all agree that someone let's say impartial, with a very large experience on av setups and a very big experience on B&O could make a statement on the BL11 when used with speakers from BL8000's and above. In my opinion Lee is the one. I think he can make a comment on this issue  Wink. Although i believe i know his opinion Whistle

-Dimitris

• 01-06-2011 1:30 PM In reply to

yeah,let the godfather of B&O speakLaughing

• 01-06-2011 5:52 PM In reply to

koning:

yeah,let the godfather of B&O speakLaughing

Myybe he than can comment on using the BL11 with BL3's as well..... Paradise

Is there anybody using the BL11 in such a setup? Most seem to use it hwith the BL6000 and or BL400 or 8000.

• 01-07-2011 3:25 AM In reply to

If you look in the flash your B&O thread, there is a picture from a forum member that has a set of beolab 3s hooked up to a beovision 8 and a beolab 11.

I'm on my way home from the demo now. This demo was........

I have to go to my Japanese class now. I will post some details later.

Beosystem 7000/6500- Beolab 4000 - Beosound 1 - A8 - Earset 3 - Beo4

• 01-07-2011 4:08 AM In reply to

Harry2008:
    can comment on using the BL11 with BL3's as well

yes, I have BL3s and a BL11 and as commented earlier I think it makes a real difference :-)

I will buy a second BL11 at some stage for our BL6000s

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-07-2011 5:08 AM In reply to

I went to the B&O store and had a good listen. I took some CDs (Norah Jones, Muse, Eric Clapton and Jimmy Eat World). The Beolab does make a big difference. I will be buying one soon.

Is wasn't bad at lower volumes but seemed to start to shine at about 44 (BS3200). After that Beolab 11 just took care of the low ends and the 4000s took care of the highs. They work amazingly well together and I think if your in my position (small apartment with no room for floor standing speakers) then the Beolab 11 and 4000 is are a great combo.

The difference between my first demo and this was astoundingly different. It is like a completely different product was demoed to me. As soon as I can afford it, I will be picking one up. (feb or mar)

• 01-07-2011 11:19 AM In reply to

that's really good to hear !

TheMajor:
    The difference between my first demo and this was astoundingly

did the sales person explain:

a) what they had changed between your visits, and/or

b) what went wrong last time

• 01-07-2011 2:34 PM In reply to

TheMajor:

The difference between my first demo and this was astoundingly different. It is like a completely different product was demoed to me. As soon as I can afford it, I will be picking one up. (feb or mar)

Glad that everything turned out OK. Clearly some kind of config problem at your first demo! Enjoy.

Karel.

• 01-07-2011 5:46 PM In reply to

I went to a different store.

• 01-07-2011 8:27 PM In reply to

TheMajor:

I went to a different store.

well you should do the Julia Roberts "big mistake" call back :-)

Page 2 of 2 (50 items) < Previous 1 2