in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-06-2011 10:52 AM by iPoditiv. 31 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-30-2010 7:51 AM

Annoying word of 2010

I thought I'd throw this one in!

Do you have a pet hate word that has been doing the rounds in 2010?

I do:   "Absolutely"

It is the most absurd, overused and mis-used word I've heard in a long time. Angry

A simple "Yes" would do

Happy New Year Wink

• 12-30-2010 8:00 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Re: Annoying word of 2010

One that  have seen used a lot on facebook recently is.......

"Chillaxing"

Also drives my partner nuts, she really does hate it.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 12-30-2010 10:02 AM In reply to

ojibway:

I thought I'd throw this one in!

Do you have a pet hate word that has been doing the rounds in 2010?

I do:   "Absolutely"

It is the most absurd, overused and mis-used word I've heard in a long time. Angry

A simple "Yes" would do

Happy New Year Wink

I have to admit: I use that word too often. Embarrassed There are lots of words I hate. Especially "proactive" Sadly it has been with us for longer than just 2010... Let's hope it will disappear in 2011!

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 12-30-2010 10:26 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

I'd like to see the back of 'text speak' which has killed or maimed many words in the English language..

My 22 year old sister will often text me to say something like 'yeh, woz wicked - now off to town wiv ma mates' - which makes me want to find her, snatch the phone from her hands, stamp on it until it becomes but dust on the pavement, then hand her a dictionary in its place..

That aside - one word which is thankfully now unfashionable, but i'd like totally eradicated is 'BRAINSTORM'

Surely a storm is a negative event where things fall down, get blown over and collapse - or smash to pieces.  However, when you get a room full of people who have to get together in order to think of things they can't quite do alone, it becomes a 'positive event' !!   Well, bless my Top Man suit and loafers Daz, let's have a brainstorm and go sell some mobile phones.. 

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 12-30-2010 11:25 AM In reply to

Hey, Lee

you've hit on two I've had to hit on the head more than a few times.

When I was a lecturer (design) I had, on many occasions, to correct student written work for using "text speak".

And, as for 'BRAINSTORMING'. It was a forbidden word in my class. You see, when it comes to thinking up new shapes and designs, brainstorming relies on what you already know so the outcome will be thus limited. I always encouraged developing ideas and designs from outside stimuli - so a fresh source of inspiration leading to shapes they hadn't dreamt of (or preconceived).

Mike

• 12-30-2010 1:05 PM In reply to

"Iconic"

Everything has to be iconic (in UK).  I cannot imagine how things like sound or an event can be iconic, but they apparently can be.

Juan Herrero

• 12-30-2010 1:20 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Just heard another one on the news..

" THINKTANK "

Even when you try to dissect that word and make sense of it in the sum of its parts, or try and meld them into something which reflects its true meaning - it still leaves you with a constipated look on your face.

To be honest, i reckon a 'thinktank' is the name for a place where 'brainstorms' take place, which serves only to elevate it's position in the hall of crap words...  Geeked

Lee

• 12-30-2010 2:40 PM In reply to

Roadmap.

Not 2010 but still being used. GrrrrrAngry

• 12-30-2010 3:45 PM In reply to

Very interesting which words are used too often or in some kind of wrong usage. 

Lee, I would have a problem understanding your sisters` - 'yeh, woz wicked - now off to town wiv ma mates' - but please be ensured that we have similar abbreviations in Germany and to be honest I do not like them. 

One more thing which comes to my mind while I am writing that post is ... using three points or any other punctuation to end a sentence without really ending the thought in the sentence. 

Beo Time, A8, EarSet3i, EarSet2, BC2, BC6, BL3, BL11, Apple TV1, BEO Ballpen, BL2000, BL3500

Christmas 2010 Prize Draw 1st winner. BeoSound 9000 Mk3 

Thank you

• 12-30-2010 4:04 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Larskoelle:

Lee, I would have a problem understanding your sisters` - 'yeh, woz wicked - now off to town wiv ma mates' 

.. and i have a problem with it too.  There, we have crossed international boundaries! Laughing

to translate though..

yeh = yes

woz = it was

wicked = excellent

now off to town = i am now going to travel to the city centre

wiv = with

ma = my

mates = friends

Erm

As an addendum, i can honestly say that 7 years of reading posts by our very own Peter (Doctor) has improved my English beyond recognition.  I have been dragged from the gutter and now sit on the kerb thanks to that man!  A true English Gentleman, personally as well as online.

• 12-30-2010 4:15 PM In reply to

If only; my English is appalling! I was dreadful at school; I am sure my long suffering teacher despaired of me. I also have a tendency to write as if Caesar, with far too many sub-clauses. The people who really impress me are those non English speakers who post word perfect threads.

• 12-30-2010 4:45 PM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

Doctor:

The people who really impress me are those non English speakers who post word perfect threads.

Mika's written english is astonishing and I'm still sure Electrified is an expat!

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

• 12-30-2010 5:09 PM In reply to

9 LEE:

Larskoelle:

Lee, I would have a problem understanding your sisters` - 'yeh, woz wicked - now off to town wiv ma mates' 

.. and i have a problem with it too.  There, we have crossed international boundaries! Laughing

to translate though..

yeh = yes

woz = it was

wicked = excellent

now off to town = i am now going to travel to the city centre

wiv = with

ma = my

mates = friends

Erm

As an addendum, i can honestly say that 7 years of reading posts by our very own Peter (Doctor) has improved my English beyond recognition.  I have been dragged from the gutter and now sit on the kerb thanks to that man!  A true English Gentleman, personally as well as online.

I actually knew most of those words from watching BBC America.  The expression I hate which I hope is confined to the US is 'send me a ticktock'. This is actually used by business people asking for an electronic appointment request by email or iPhone.

For great fun with new expressions, look at the Urban Dictionary at http://www.urbandictionary.com/.

Peter is indeed a gentleman.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 12-30-2010 5:17 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Soundproof also blows me away with his English.  He often uses words I myself have to look up - and i'm English !!! 

Peter, stop being modest. Thank you.  Another one of your wonderful traits which endear me to you even further..

Anyway - back to the thread!

My son (daughter left last year) goes to a school where non-competition is key.  They've taken the happy-clapping tree hugging thing one click too far on the 'nice-o-meter', with every child being made to feel 'special' in their own way no matter how badly they do.  I get the ethos, but is going this far really going to prepare them for the real world?

Anyway... sports day 2009.  My daughter wins the 25m sprint (i know, i know) and is given a little something as winner as she is pronounced over the loudhailer.  Next up comes 2nd place, a little smiling girl who is pronounced proudly 'Second Winner' - then followed by 'Third Winner'.. 'Fourth Winner' then 'Fifth Winner' followed of course by last place - 'Sixth WINNER'

I stood there in complete disbelief.  How on earth can this play on words help these kids in later life?  "Sorry Miss Smith, you didn't get the job - but you were third winner.. hurrah!"  - or "sorry, you've lost out this time on promotion - but you're still fifth winner.."

What a load of rubbish.  Granted, i'm not up for thrashing losers with twigs or returning to Victorian values - but as a species we're competitive, that's the idea. At least get kids used to losing, which will in order make them want to win.. surely?

oops.. off on a tangent there - but 'Second Winner' is my annoying word(s)

Lee

• 12-30-2010 6:12 PM In reply to

Stonk:

Doctor:

The people who really impress me are those non English speakers who post word perfect threads.

Mika's written english is astonishing and I'm still sure Electrified is an expat!

Embarrassed I still annoy myself enough with unsure preposition usage and such that I've thought of reacquiring that English grammar book I sold more than 20 years ago after clearing high school!

Believe it or not, but it is also thanks to Beoworld. I used to write a lot on Usenet in the early '90s, but after that mostly degenerated into reading CS, electronic engineering and mathematics text books. Apart from some fine exceptions, they don't do much for your language skills. I'm sure my active general purpose vocabulary has grown massively since I registered here!

I don't text much with teenagers so I'm pretty safe from those horrors... but whenever I see 'ur' or 'coz' on a web page that has been typed in with a perfectly functional full scale keyboard, my first reaction is to click on 'back'. The author may have saved a couple of keystrokes, but I'll rather save my time than waste it on text that has been deliberately made hard to read.

I also hate 'sonically'. I suspect it's correct though and I can't suggest a better alternative, but that's not my job, I'm not a native speaker Big Smile

-mika

• 12-30-2010 6:51 PM In reply to

9 LEE:

My son (daughter left last year) goes to a school where non-competition is key.  They've taken the happy-clapping tree hugging thing one click too far on the 'nice-o-meter', with every child being made to feel 'special' in their own way no matter how badly they do.  I get the ethos, but is going this far really going to prepare them for the real world?

Anyway... sports day 2009.  My daughter wins the 25m sprint (i know, i know) and is given a little something as winner as she is pronounced over the loudhailer.  Next up comes 2nd place, a little smiling girl who is pronounced proudly 'Second Winner' - then followed by 'Third Winner'.. 'Fourth Winner' then 'Fifth Winner' followed of course by last place - 'Sixth WINNER'

I stood there in complete disbelief.  How on earth can this play on words help these kids in later life?  "Sorry Miss Smith, you didn't get the job - but you were third winner.. hurrah!"  - or "sorry, you've lost out this time on promotion - but you're still fifth winner.."

What a load of rubbish.  Granted, i'm not up for thrashing losers with twigs or returning to Victorian values - but as a species we're competitive, that's the idea. At least get kids used to losing, which will in order make them want to win.. surely?

oops.. off on a tangent there - but 'Second Winner' is my annoying word(s)

Lee

-and I thought that it was only in Scandinavia we had these schools, driven by old hippies ("we're all alike...", "You must wait for the others...")  Surprise I see that You have your battles too. HmmBig Smile

Steffen

• 12-30-2010 9:22 PM In reply to

How about ...

SWMBO: "Can you tape that for me?"

Sobbing, I start the EyeTV hard disk recorder ...

And Lee, your story reminds me of the time I was a "Little Ath(letic)s" with my son (no one wins, we just beat our PBs (which is actually a nice philosophy)), when there was a thunderstorm so we shuffled all the "little vegemites" into the safety of the sports pavilion, and to keep them entertained I started drawing pictures, asking what they were, and labelling them: "CAT", "MAT", "DOG".

There was a look of horror on one woman's face and she said "we do not do capitals any more" 

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-31-2010 3:22 AM In reply to

Larskoelle:

One more thing which comes to my mind while I am writing that post is ... using three points or any other punctuation to end a sentence without really ending the thought in the sentence. 

Guilty again. (Normally I would have typed three points here) Another word I particularly hate is sparring partner. I have no problem with the original meaning of the word, but I can't stand the way it's used in think tanks by types who spent too much time brainstorming (nearly used three points again).

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 12-31-2010 3:24 AM In reply to

Some nice ones here!!

I like the 'tickbox'

On our ever increasing number of property shows - or are they just repeats? - I like people for whom it 'ticks all the boxes'. Obviously they work in local government and have forms to fill to show they have met all their targets.

But here's another: "yeah no" or "yeah, yeah no". Seems to be common to 25 to 40 year olds when in conversation with one another. Like a nervous twitch!

• 12-31-2010 3:27 AM In reply to

Another word I don't like: facilitate

• 12-31-2010 4:02 AM In reply to

Hi Lee,

Hi Linder,

Thank you very much for the translation as well as the dictionary.

Somehow I got your little sister and if she would have sent me the same message I would have understood her somehow.

Honestly I do not know why someone should use such abbreviations but anyway. In Germany not only "urban" citizen are using such words explained on urbandictionary.com

One word I do not like at all but which is used very often is Lokation which is used for the different offices we are using. It is the same as location but with a very typical german pronunciation.

As I am from germany I do not want to judge the english vikinger writes on beoworld.org but said that I have to admit that his english is much better than mine and that I would be glad to be able to speak and write as fluent and eloquent as he does.

Beo Time, A8, EarSet3i, EarSet2, BC2, BC6, BL3, BL11, Apple TV1, BEO Ballpen, BL2000, BL3500

Christmas 2010 Prize Draw 1st winner. BeoSound 9000 Mk3 

Thank you

• 01-01-2011 7:09 PM In reply to

STRAW-MAN!

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 01-01-2011 7:28 PM In reply to

I have quite a few to add:

Going forwards/Going forward. As in going forwards we shall do some work instead of sitting in this meeting room saying ridiculous things such as going forwards.

Skillsets - I fail to see how one can compartmentalise their skills into sets, this is therefore totally unnecessary in my opinion.

Not fit for purpose - Gordon Brown said it once about a social service team and then every layperson copied it inappropriately - these trousers are not fit for purpose, this carpet is not fit for purpose, these baked beans are not fit for purpose.

The hanging "so" that forces you to direct or finish a conversation - "What do you do for a job?" "I sell photocopiers so errr..." 

Internet/SMS memes:

Unnecessary use of (or any use of) LOL - For example, I have just gone to the shop LOL. What makes your visit to the shop inherently funny?

Pointless kisses at the end of text messages from female friends or relatives - Can you bring me a newspaper Xx. Why not just say Can you bring me a newspaper please?

ROFL - Did you really?

• 01-01-2011 7:40 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Not a word, but anyone found guilty of doing those idiotic Air Quotes deserve to have their fingers chopped offSuper Angry

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 01-01-2011 8:09 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Stonk:

Wow! Thank you so much! 

Unbeknownst to you, you posted that very fine compliment on my birthday Embarrassed

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >