in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-04-2010 4:41 PM by KMA. 34 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-18-2010 12:32 PM

First BeoVision 10 review

FlatpanelsHD has the first in-depth BeoVision 10 review online today.

Check it out here: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1263826711

• 01-18-2010 1:14 PM In reply to

• pf85
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 145
    • Founder

Re: First BeoVision 10 review

Thanks for posting the review. Very detailed.... learned a lot.

Now I am looking forward to an equally thorough review of the 7-55, can't wait.... but great to see that BV10-40 is so well recognized. As a current AVANT owner, I am starting to see that we get a lot of great options with B&O TVs into the future.

• 01-18-2010 1:33 PM In reply to

would sky hd take up one of the hdmi inputs or can it be fitted internally into the dvb-s ?

wish it just had 3 hdmi's tbh

apart from that - a lovely tv

popgear is grate™

• 01-18-2010 1:38 PM In reply to

Finally a B&O reviewer that knows what he is talking about!
  • 01-18-2010 1:40 PM In reply to

pf85:

Now I am looking forward to an equally thorough review of the 7-55, can't wait.... but great to see that BV10-40 is so well recognized. As a current AVANT owner, I am starting to see that we get a lot of great options with B&O TVs into the future.

It is there already, in Danish though... (also, I think I saw this BV10 review in Danish many weeks ago).

-mika

• 01-18-2010 2:40 PM In reply to

PhilLondon:
    Finally a B&O reviewer that knows what he is talking about!

Bit gushing for me - I found this a few days ago as it is being touted by B&O as the review to read. (Not surprisingly!) I actually agree with it - the picture, in which the reviewer is clearly an expert, is truly great. I like it more and more and I have left the settings completely alone. He does rather skate over the sound though. I would have liked to have seen a similar degree of detail to the sound reproduction with measurements. Maybe I need Puncher to come and do some proper measurements both with and without surround speakers.  

I do note that his reviews are all rather good for B&O products. I think that is probably reasonable but every product has compromises and a good review points these out so that a buyer is aware of them and can judge if it is an area which he is willing to accept such a compromise. I did like the fact that David Lewis is becoming a familiar name in B&O circles. I think he has worked in some way with the company for about 40 years ...

• 01-18-2010 2:55 PM In reply to

• Hungedu
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2009
    • Ambergris Caye, Belize
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for posting this. It was very informative. This may be my Avant replacement after all.

BeoVision 7-55 3D, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound 8, BeoLab 7-6, BeoLab Penta III, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 2, LC-1, BeoTime (analog clock), Form 1 headphones, Beo 4 remote.

• 01-18-2010 4:11 PM In reply to

The review of the BV7-55 is already there, in danish. To reveal some of it, it´s stunning. It has the best black ever measured, etc. The sound from the BL7-6 is obviously better than that in the BV10, but mainly due to lack of bass.

You can eeven see some pictures of the BV7-55 standing next to the BV10-40. BIG difference. The 55 is a real beast! Much to big for my livingroom...

BV10, Avant DVD, BL5, BL4000, BS2300, BV6-26, MX 4002, 2xBeocom 6000, LC2

• 01-18-2010 6:29 PM In reply to

Yes both the review's for the Bv10  and the Bv 7-55 are Great and both should  be a winner for B&O...I have seen the Bv 7-55 It's a Stunner,also like the Bv10.

Enjoy.

Bv7-55 & Bv7-32...Blue,lab1's x4,Yes4Blue, 6000x4Blue,Beocom6000 Blue,Beo5.Oh what a Blue set-up & a Beosound 5...After all,its Bang&Olufsen!

• 01-19-2010 1:31 AM In reply to

Good to hear this! I'll have a Beovision 10, please! Big Smile

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 01-19-2010 7:57 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I agree with Peter. It is a lovely review, but they review bang and olufsen products in this gushing manner with all products it seems. Is the Beovision 10 THAT amazing? Hmm. All in all though, it does indeed seem to be a great product with a more faor price. Lets just keep in mind, there are no built in sources!! BIG down side for me, and i'd still choose a BV7 over a BV10 for that reason.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 01-19-2010 3:08 PM In reply to

...And the lack of a motorized positioner - picked up by the reviwer. This is a must have for my room after the LX and Avant. I hope  they are working on a solution to this.

• 01-19-2010 3:11 PM In reply to

The wall bracket isn't motorised unfortunately, but the floor stand is.
  • 01-19-2010 3:14 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I don't doubt it's a good TV but almost 1/3 of the text sounds awfully like marketing spiel - it could almost be a press release!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 01-19-2010 3:52 PM In reply to

Puncher:

I don't doubt it's a good TV but almost 1/3 of the text sounds awfully like marketing spiel - it could almost be a press release!

Found this review today (and then found it already reported here!)

Have to agree with Puncher, but I think they've just padded out the review by weaving a lot of the B&O publicity shots and text in.

Overall it is a good review, and no one should compain about the conclusion:

Graham

"The Bang & Olufsen BeoVision 10-40 has therefore been given a Top Recommendation Award based on the overall product, and evaluation of its picture, sound, amplifier, design/materials, furniture effect and quality."

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 01-19-2010 5:03 PM In reply to

I dont know about you guys, but I am getting sick and tired of these B&O reviews. It seems a lot like they just dont want to criticize anything about B&O televisions. To my knowledge there are so many faults with the B&O DVB-HD module, that B&O now after about 1 year (as far as i remember) after introduction are working on the fourth update. EPG does not work as it is supposed to, slow channelshifting, lacking digital info in the top of the screen, hanging when shifting channels etc. etc.  Yes, WHEN it finally works, the picture is stunning, but dont forget to mention that this is a rare occasion. To be fair though, i have had my trouble with the 7-40 and i know the 7-55 is LED etc. However the DVB-HD module is the same, and IT DOES NOT WORK with DVB-C. I have seen televisions costing 500 Euro handling this simple task perfectly with fast channelshifting and EPG updating immediately  and not after 20 minutes.

The test mentions the startup times and concludes that this is actually ok... How is this ok??? 47 sec. to start a bluray??

These things are by far the only issues with BV 7, and i am so tired of people and tests only mentioning the stunning picture quality of say BV10, without mentioning the delay when going from text and back to dtv...This takes about 8 sec., how can this NOT be relevant. B&O are starting to compromise on features you take for granted on 500 euro tv´s. Now, the latest SW update for 7-40 MK IV fixes a lot of issues, but speeds up the fan so much that it is absolutely impossible to watch a quiet movie. Tech support say they know, and that it is necessary because of heat problems...Does this mean that we now have to live with noiselevels that are absolutly unacceptable, just because they did not test it properly before launch?? In what other situation do you buy something so expensive that does not work and when you tell B&O are told, that there will be a softwarefix. I have been waiting for over a year now and the tv STILL does not work as supposed to. Fortunately danish law says, that when an issue is not fixed within reasonable time, you are entitled to a refund. Is one year reasonable time??

So i am about finished blowing of steam :-) I know my anger is not specifically directed towards 7-55 that are being discussed here. However i feel that it is a huge problem that things that should obviously be working and are therefore not tested, are the ones that are missing on the latest B&O tv´s

Yes, they are beautiful and yes the picture is stunning. Agreed one of the best tv´s ever buildt, as long as you do not use the inbuildt dvb-hd module, Blurayplayer, use text and dont mind that the fans sound like an airplane taking off etc. etc. 

Come on B&O, is is absolutely unacceptable to your faithful customers, and hopefully you will learn the hard way.

/Ehlerz

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 01-20-2010 12:20 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I'd say B&O have picked up a little trick from BOSE and other brands here... marketing. It's good i think, it will surely lift sales, people believe reviews!! The best part is, in this instance, it actually is a rather decent product.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 01-20-2010 1:25 AM In reply to

• HeKoch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-29-2008
    • VS-Schwenningen /Germany
    • Posts 46
    • Bronze Member

Hi guys,

I absolutely agree with Ehlerz in case of the DVB-C in my BV8-40. After power on you get an empty EPG and often when you select entries

nothing happens (because he is sooo busy). Pretty annoying, and in this state you should be careful with your keypress on the remote,

because he is very sensible and swallowed on your fast inputs !! I've updated the HD-Software but things are gone and new are

coming. Guys, we are dazzled from the B&O quality in the past - today they are setting new objectives ($€,,) - customer satisfaction and

overall product qualitity are only a marketing buzzword.

For me it's an unsatisfied state and I'll keep the (unqualified) B&O support and my dealer busy as long as the problem will be there.

Guys please don't let you dazzle from shining frames around screens - be a little critical also in other things.

Good things come to those who can wait 

HeKoch

• 01-20-2010 3:59 AM In reply to

Ehlerz:

The test mentions the startup times and concludes that this is actually ok... How is this ok??? 47 sec. to start a bluray??

These things are by far the only issues with BV 7, and i am so tired of people and tests only mentioning the stunning picture quality of say BV10, without mentioning the delay when going from text and back to dtv...This takes about 8 sec./Ehlerz

2 comments:

My Pioneer LX52 uses almost the same time to start up a BD. Too slow, yes, but it is still relatively new technology.

MY BV10 has no problems using text TV. When going back to DTV the picture is lost a couple of seconds, but the sound is there all the time. Not a problem for me.

FlatpanelsDK is somewhat positive to B&O, but they test loads of stuff, and they should have a far better experience when comparing picture etc, than most of us.

BV10, Avant DVD, BL5, BL4000, BS2300, BV6-26, MX 4002, 2xBeocom 6000, LC2

• 01-20-2010 5:07 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

thavn:

FlatpanelsDK is somewhat positive to B&O, but they test loads of stuff, and they should have a far better experience when comparing picture etc, than most of us.

Ture enough, but I wonder if they would be as generous to another manufacturer if their TV's picture was a little on the blue side and couldn't be adjusted to an "ideal" 6500K etc.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 01-20-2010 5:12 AM In reply to

thavn:

2 comments:

My Pioneer LX52 uses almost the same time to start up a BD. Too slow, yes, but it is still relatively new technology.

How about your DVB-HD module, is this working for you? My point is that B&O are SO focused on inventing new features, that they forget about simple things that just about every owner uses. Would you ever think to ask your B&O dealer the next time you buy a 10.000 euro television, whether or not you will  have the same very very basic features as ALL other low priced piece of junk tv´s from other manufactures? Well opposed to the early B&O days, just might just have to ask that question now. "Well you see, dear customer, you will not be able to have a working EPG, you will have to live with fannoise during television watching, and startup times between 20 and 50 sec. epending on what source you want to watch. Your linkrooms will all be out of synch with your mainroom and a lot of other not functioning stuff, but dont forget than you also only pay 10-20 times the price of other tv´s that work as they are intended to work"

How can a working EPG function be difficult to provide?? it has been around for years now and a lot of people use it. How can loud fannoise on a tv be ok? It is like saying "Look at this brand new airplane, it has the newest technology in landing and taking off" and then when you ask wheather it can fly are told, "ehhmmm no!!" Tv´s are supposed to be quiet, actually this should range in top 3 of important features and as should airplanes beeing able to fly. But for B&O and their BV 7-40 MK III and IV, fannoise is not an issue as long as the picture is crystal clear.. It makes me sick.

My point to be precise is, that in the old days when you bought B&O, you knew what you would get without having to question the overall usability. Now however, you have tv´s that does not work as y"ou would expect a tv to work, BM5 that, as i am aware, has a lot of nonfunctioning features, Beo5 you officially cant update yourself etc.etc. B&O know the DVB-HD module does not work properly, but instead of making it work, they just introduce new products with a nonfunctioning module. How can this be justified??  And if and when they succeed in making the software correct, the poor dealers are forced to visit you and everyone else with a module for an upgrade for the fourth time... SO instead of working and well tested products in the old days, B&O now rely on selling selling selling selling, and then dealing with the issues afterwards..

B&O, you do not have the expertise to keep up on a technologically basis, so please let someone else design and manufacture say the DVB-HD module and start concentrating on what you used to do...Overall usability and satisfaction guaranty, that is what we want and you have completely lost your focus.. Stop focusing on quick revenues on behalf of long customer relationships, you will most likely not succeed.  

/Ehlerz

• 01-20-2010 7:39 AM In reply to

I agree totally with Ehlerz and HeKoch: The DVB-Module is full of bugs! Also timer-recordings with the module are not possible with my DVD2.

But also the BV10 has software-bugs, p.e. if you try to make direct records by using the RECORD-key on Beo4. Since more than three weeks I am in contact with BEOCARE, but no solution. Only answers like "We are pleased you are owner of our new BV10...".

It´s not acceptable to buy a very expensive high-end-product and then feeling like a beta-tester!

Regards

Räuber

• 01-20-2010 7:50 AM In reply to

Raeuber:

I agree totally with Ehlerz and HeKoch: The DVB-Module is full of bugs! Also timer-recordings with the module are not possible with my DVD2.

But also the BV10 has software-bugs, p.e. if you try to make direct records by using the RECORD-key on Beo4. Since more than three weeks I am in contact with BEOCARE, but no solution. Only answers like "We are pleased you are owner of our new BV10...".

It´s not acceptable to buy a very expensive high-end-product and then feeling like a beta-tester!

Regards

Räuber

Hi Räuber & HeKoch

Glad to hear i am not the only one finding this unacceptable. Maybe we should start an "Unhappy B&O owners thread"?

Dont get me wrong, the only B&O product that i am not satisfied with is my BV 7-40, everything else in my setup works. However as my B&O is ML connected with BV 7 as master, the overall integrated experience is now also destroyed a little because of linkroom sound delays.. :-(

/Ehlerz

• 01-20-2010 1:31 PM In reply to

• Georgakis
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-06-2009
    • Stuttgart/Athens
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Hi all,

reading this interesting thread gives me the opinion that I am the only absolutely happy BV 10 owner. I must admit though, that my BV 10 does not have a integrated DVB HD module (I use IPTV by German Telekom which works perfect. Even the "old" BEO 4 from my Avant works the receiver using the SAT button like on the new one using the DTV button). In my link room (BL 3500) I do have also a little delay but, it's in the link room! So normally I don't hear it.

I hope for you, that your problems will be solved soon by B&O!!

Georgakis

• 01-20-2010 5:45 PM In reply to

Georgakis:

Hi all,

reading this interesting thread gives me the opinion that I am the only absolutely happy BV 10 owner. I must admit though, that my BV 10 does not have a integrated DVB HD module (I use IPTV by German Telekom which works perfect. Even the "old" BEO 4 from my Avant works the receiver using the SAT button like on the new one using the DTV button). In my link room (BL 3500) I do have also a little delay but, it's in the link room! So normally I don't hear it.

I hope for you, that your problems will be solved soon by B&O!!

Georgakis

Hi Georgakis

No, i dont think you are the only happy owner of a BV 10, i am sure there are a lot others out there. With no DVB-HD module i guess you are sparred from what is the primary reason for all this yelling :-) The problem is that most of B&O´s customers (as far as i know), do not use more that 50% of the features available, and therefore maybe never spots some of the faults. But a person like me, i utilize every possible connection, including Masterlink surround etc etc. If i bought a BV10 or say a BV 7-40, used it with analoge signals, and no masterlinked products, i would certainly think that my tv was perfect in every way. However B6O choose to provide a DVB-HD module, and even charge extremely much to fit one in an older tv, and they do this knowing everything about its flaws. If you provide an option for digital broadcasting and charge money for it, it better work like intended. I would much rather they had never made this module, then i wouldn´t have to use my energy on this issue, and had probably bought a 3 party tuner..

So congrats on your new tv, and be glad you did not have the DVB-HD module fitted.

/Ehlerz  

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >