in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-25-2010 2:07 AM by Keith Saunders. 30 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-30-2009 6:31 PM

Basic Beo 5 question

Sorry for this very basic question. When used with third party products, such as a Blu-Ray player, does the Beo 5 control the product directly?  Or through an ir emitter from the TV, or are both ways possible?

Thanks!

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 11-30-2009 7:29 PM In reply to

Re: Basic Beo 5 question

Both ways are possible although it takes some programming work to get 3rd party stuff to work directly.

rgds

Stephan

• 11-30-2009 7:45 PM In reply to

Thanks! And my apologies....I see I accidentally posted this in Beosound 5 instead of Beo 5 forum. Maybe moderators can move?

• 12-03-2009 7:54 PM In reply to

Sorry, another basic question. If I am understanding the answer to my first question correctly, the signal can be sent from the BV7 to the third party source through the ir emitter, and in fact is simpler than direct control.

Currently I have a Sony Blu-Ray connected and chosen in the onscreen menu. Does the Beo 5 use the same commands through the onscreen menu/puc and thus control the player exactly as the Beo 4?

Or does the Beo 5 offer the possibility of additional commands that are not in the puc? If so, how does that work?  In other words how does the Beo 5 get commands to a product through an ir emitter if those commands/device are not in the puc?

Thanks!

• 12-04-2009 2:22 AM In reply to

The overlay commands are basicly the same as for Beo4, there can be a difference in the way Beo5 controls the playback functions.

Example:
    Beo5 uses the 'CNTL_0' IR command to shift the PUC to Beo5 mode. If the command is followed by PLAY the PUC will interpretate this as a Select. With Beo4 you will have to wait 1.5 secs before a timeout activates the Select.

• 12-04-2009 8:24 AM In reply to

So the Beo 5 shifts the PUC from what is in the TV to allow the commands from the Beo 5to pass through?  Not sure I am understanding what you are saying.

for example, with the Beo 4 if I get a new device that is not in the PUC menu I will need to have the software updated. With the Beo 5 if I get a new device I can just have it added to the Beo 5 and it will be controlled through the ir emitter cable even though it is not in the PUC list?

Thanks!

• 12-09-2009 11:12 AM In reply to

If you get a new device it must be added to the TV. Then you can control it with Beo4. If you own a Beo5 you must also update the configuration ofthis to fit the new device in the TV.

Alternatively you can choose to let the Beo5 control the device directly, but then you need to have the codes and do some editing.

• 12-18-2009 7:50 PM In reply to

I think I am understanding...but let me make sure. We have a BV7. Our nearest dealer is 3 hours away which makes updating the puc in the TV somewhat difficult and expensive. If we had a Beo 5, and we added a product that was not in the puc list, the dealer could program the Beo 5 to control that device directly without any update to the TV?

It would be easier and cheaper to ship a Beo 5 to the dealer for programming than to have the dealer spend 6 hours or more travel time to update the TV.

• 12-19-2009 3:39 AM In reply to

Yes it is really understood

But you should be aware that you have many more opportunities to manage a Blu-ray player if you update the PUC list.

So far as I know make Bang & Olufsen only management or other products through PUC list.

My Bang & Olufsen....

• BeoCenter 2 DAB/DVD mk.II
    • BeoVision 7-40 DVD mk.III
    • BeoLab Penta mk.III
    • BeoLab 4000 icepower
    • BeoLab 4000
    • BeoLab 3500
    • Beo 5
    • Beo 4 mk.I & mk.III
    •  
    • Beocom 6000
    •  
    • A8 Earphones

• 12-19-2009 12:05 PM In reply to

• BOMF
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-12-2009
    • Lausanne
    • Posts 26
    • Bronze Member

guffas:
    Alternatively you can choose to let the Beo5 control the device directly, but then you need to have the codes and do some editing.

Hi,

it seems my dealer does not want to do that... or does not know how to do !

I told him today it is possible to control directly my Sanyo videoprojector with my Beo5 but he only knows the "PUC way" through my BV8-40...

Where is the truth ?

Thank you.

BOFM 

• 12-20-2009 8:56 AM In reply to

I am with you BOMF. Can't someone here explain it?

For instance     On our Dish DVR there is a button entitled "skip forward" that skips forward 30 seconds each time pressed. Also, there is a button entitled "format" which changes the format/size of the picture. Would it be possible to have buttons for those functions on the Beo 5?

Also, on our Dish DVR there are buttons to fast forward and rewind. Each time one is pushed the speed increases. As we discussed on the Beo 4 I must press GO and  left or right. Sometimes that does not work correctly and menu/overlay appears on the screen. I am concerned that if the Beo 5 simply does GO and left/right as a two step process made into a macro that the same problem might be present. Can the Beo 5 send just one command as the original dish Remote does?

We have the Sony BDP-S550. It has a button to OPEN the disc tray. It also has buttons for replay and advance that skip forward or back in 10 or 15 second increments. It also has both PAUSE and STOP.  It also has buttons for PREVIOUS and NEXT chapter. Can these be added to the Beo 5?

Also, this quote is in this thread:

"Example:

Beo5 uses the 'CNTL_0' IR command to shift the PUC to Beo5 mode. If the command is followed by PLAY the PUC will interpretate this as a Select. With Beo4 you will have to wait 1.5 secs before a timeout activates the Select."

What is meant "shift the PUC to Beo 5 mode." ?

• 12-20-2009 11:52 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

I went through this with my dealer (which, iirc, may also be your dealer - the *big* one in the Chicago suburbs).  I asked, can I use the Beo5 to control non-B&O stuff if I don't have a B&O Tv?  Answer: No.  Beo5 only works with B&O TVs (a.k.a. PUC).  I then pointed out that there is this forum on the internet where people claim otherwise.  Answer:  It may be possible, but we don't support it.  I'll sell you a Beo5, but you're on your own.  My conclusion from this is that they don't see custom 3rd party programming as a viable business.

I bought one and programmed it myself (with a little free help from this forum and Keith Saunders).  The Beo5 should be able to send the commands directly to your Dish DVR (assuming it is not hidden away in a cabinet).  I use mine to fully control my Motorola/Comcast DVR (and can send the secret "skip forward" command that my Comcast remote doesn't support).

Stan

• 12-20-2009 11:53 AM In reply to

• Quim43
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-15-2007
    • Tarragona (Catalonia)
    • Posts 1,030
    • Gold Member

Hello Razlaw

Do you want to test this file I made for the S500? Maybe these models share the IR commands, and you are lucky Smile

Let us to know if it works.

Regards

Quim

• 12-20-2009 12:44 PM In reply to

Thanks, but I do not have a Beo 5. I am trying to decide whether to buy one.

• 12-20-2009 12:48 PM In reply to

Stan:

I went through this with my dealer (which, iirc, may also be your dealer - the *big* one in the Chicago suburbs).  I asked, can I use the Beo5 to control non-B&O stuff if I don't have a B&O Tv?  Answer: No.  Beo5 only works with B&O TVs (a.k.a. PUC).  I then pointed out that there is this forum on the internet where people claim otherwise.  Answer:  It may be possible, but we don't support it.  I'll sell you a Beo5, but you're on your own.  My conclusion from this is that they don't see custom 3rd party programming as a viable business.

I bought one and programmed it myself (with a little free help from this forum and Keith Saunders).  The Beo5 should be able to send the commands directly to your Dish DVR (assuming it is not hidden away in a cabinet).  I use mine to fully control my Motorola/Comcast DVR (and can send the secret "skip forward" command that my Comcast remote doesn't support).

Stan

Thanks!  I had asked for a programming price from the store you mention, where we have purchased many items, and never heard back from them. I am currently working with the other store in the area to see if we can get it programmed to suit my needs.  Looks like future purchases will be from downtown instead of the suburbs.

• 12-20-2009 12:49 PM In reply to

• BOMF
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-12-2009
    • Lausanne
    • Posts 26
    • Bronze Member

Stan:

My conclusion from this is that they don't see custom 3rd party programming as a viable business.

Hi Stan,

my conclusion is the same than yours... my dealer is not interested in this... maybe the technician would be when he will come for the Beovision install. I will ask him if he agrees or not.

I would like to program my Beo5 by myself, but I still have not found the last version of the configuration software (I got a v3.0.02 but not the last v3.2). Do you know where I can find it ?

Thanx

• 12-20-2009 2:52 PM In reply to

• Quim43
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-15-2007
    • Tarragona (Catalonia)
    • Posts 1,030
    • Gold Member

There will be a new version in january. I would wait for this new version Wink

Quim

• 12-20-2009 4:07 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

BOMF:

I would like to program my Beo5 by myself, but I still have not found the last version of the configuration software (I got a v3.0.02 but not the last v3.2). Do you know where I can find it ?

Thanx

Actually, I'm still using v2.x.  This was the current software when I did my programming.  I also recall that there was some issue with the 1st 3.x version that broke macros that included 3rd party commands - this is something I really need so I've been shy about upgrading for fear of breaking something.

Does anybody know of the current release of software/firmware still has a problem with macros that include B&O and 3rd party commands?  I haven't had time to search the forum - and the "search" function never seems to find what I want...

Stan

• 12-20-2009 4:20 PM In reply to

Quim43:

There will be a new version in january. I would wait for this new version Wink

That well the new version be, CT4.00 or ?

My Bang & Olufsen....

• BeoLab Penta mk.III
    • BeoLab 4000 icepower
    • BeoLab 4000
    • BeoLab 3500
    • Beo 5
    • Beo 4 mk.I & mk.III
    •  
    • Beocom 6000
    •  
    • A8 Earphones

• 12-22-2009 9:09 PM In reply to

My wife was going to buy me a Beo 5 today as an early Christmas present but I told her not to. Too many unanswered questions about it for me and too much uncertainty as to what the dealer would actually be able to program it to do.

Seemed like it would do nothing more than a Beo 4 with some channel icons added.

• 12-23-2009 8:53 AM In reply to

Razlaw:

Seemed like it would do nothing more than a Beo 4 with some channel icons added.

No it is not quite right.

At a Beo5 get some buttons or short cuts to functions that you or do not want on your Beo4 or where you have to press several buttons in succession.

My Bang & Olufsen....

• BeoLab Penta mk.III
    • BeoLab 4000 icepower
    • BeoLab 4000
    • BeoLab 3500
    • Beo 5
    • Beo 4 mk.I & mk.III
    •  
    • Beocom 6000
    •  
    • A8 Earphones

• 12-23-2009 9:28 AM In reply to

I am unclear as to whether certain functions would work better with a Beo 5 than with a Beo 4 and also am unclear as to whether functions not present on the Beo 4 can be added to the Beo 5.

Here are my questions.

1. To fast forward or rewind our DVR I press GO and ARROW Left or Right. If I do not press these at exactly the correct speed, it does not work. Also, sometimes pressing GO twice to stop a fast forward or rewind does not work.

2. Can additional buttons/functions be added such as our DVR has a button to skip forward in 30 second increments and a button to change the format of the picture.

3. Also, our Blu-Ray will only turn on with the Beo 4 when turning the entire system on from stand-by. I would like it to turn on at a source change as well. It is also not possible to turn the Blu-Ray player off with the Beo 4.

4. I also read in here somewhere it might be possible to add a button on the Beo 4 to open the Blu-Ray player on the BV7?

Thanks!

• 12-23-2009 10:26 AM In reply to

Dear Razlaw

Programming the Beo 5 in my opinion it's not easy, but it's far from imposible. With the Beo5 you can control "any" device that uses IR commands. I control a Sony LCD, a Sony BluRay, a Sony DVD-home teather and a Motorola HD-DVR, note than anything it´s B&O but the Beo5.

To program the Beo5 you will need the configuration software (you can buy it on ebay), any recent version it's fine. Then you will need to make an .xml file (one file for each product bluray, dvd, etc). This file, can have all the "virtual buttons (commands)" you want, you can create virtually all the buttons of your original remote in this file, to eject the disc, to change the subtitles, etc, etc. The treaky part its that you will need the "codes" for each instruction.

This codes are the HEX interpretation of each IR command. To get this codes, will not be simple, with some luck you can find them on Internet, or you can use the .xml files that many user of the forum (like Quim43) have. Another way it´s to use the Lintronic Hardware TT455-RT 238  (http://www.lintronic.dk/) wich its not cheap, but its a great product, I have it and I love it, with the Lintronic software(that you will need to program the hardware) you can make all this in minutes........But remember you can do it, only with the configuration software, and creating your own 3'rd Party .xml files.

• 12-23-2009 10:58 AM In reply to

Hugoltrin:

Dear Razlaw

Programming the Beo 5 in my opinion it's not easy, but it's far from imposible. With the Beo5 you can control "any" device that uses IR commands. I control a Sony LCD, a Sony BluRay, a Sony DVD-home teather and a Motorola HD-DVR, note than anything it´s B&O but the Beo5.

To program the Beo5 you will need the configuration software (you can buy it on ebay), any recent version it's fine. Then you will need to make an .xml file (one file for each product bluray, dvd, etc). This file, can have all the "virtual buttons (commands)" you want, you can create virtually all the buttons of your original remote in this file, to eject the disc, to change the subtitles, etc, etc. The treaky part its that you will need the "codes" for each instruction.

This codes are the HEX interpretation of each IR command. To get this codes, will not be simple, with some luck you can find them on Internet, or you can use the .xml files that many user of the forum (like Quim43) have. Another way it´s to use the Lintronic Hardware TT455-RT 238  (http://www.lintronic.dk/) wich its not cheap, but its a great product, I have it and I love it, with the Lintronic software(that you will need to program the hardware) you can make all this in minutes........But remember you can do it, only with the configuration software, and creating your own 3'rd Party .xml files.

Thanks!  Or I can have the dealer program it to do all that you have described, correct?

• 12-23-2009 11:06 AM In reply to

Good Luck with that.................. ¡¡¡¡¡

I hope your dealer have a little idea of what we are talking about. Here in Mexico the dealers do not have a minimum clue ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >