in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-16-2010 12:56 PM by vikinger. 43 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (44 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-26-2009 11:41 AM

Saab

Saab aficianados will be concerned that the Koenigsegg buy-out from GM has unravelled and Saab may yet go into bankruptcy.[Link]

The German based rescue-saab.com is looking for more support again.

Critical board meeting is 1st Dec.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 11-26-2009 11:45 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Re: Saab

I find it difficult to distinguish a Saab from a Vauxhall/Opel at a glance now. So sad, as Saab were such a hugely individual car and owning one was a real statement of 'i want to be different to you lot!' without having to take the gamble and buy Italian and all the issues that went with them.

I do hope they pull through, then change their game plan. People are crying out for something different, but without the gamble on reliability. Saab could be that company...

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 11-26-2009 4:33 PM In reply to

• henrik
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 299
    • Founder

It makes me feel so sad, the Saab team is/was great and even managed to continue creating great cars even after GM bought the company, even if Saab was even greater before that. I (as a Swede) is of course proud of both Volvo and Saab, but Saab is closer to my heart because of their originality and quirkyness.
  • 11-27-2009 4:32 AM In reply to

I really appreciate the pre GM Saabs for their individuality and I like the new 9-5 as well. So I have been watching the developments around Saab closely. But the future looks bleak. There are a few scenarios:

1. GM will keep Saab after all, like they’ve done with Opel. Unlikely, if you consider the fact that Saab hasn’t made a profit since 1989.
    2. Saab could be bought by a third-party. At the present there seem to be no bidders, but there have been rumors about Fiat, Geely, Dongfeng Motor Group and BAIC.
    3. Another possibility is government ownership, although the Swedish government has repeatedly stated they would not take a stake in the company.
    4. Closure. Sadly, this seems not unlikely, considering GM’s passed with axing brands like Saturn and Oldsmobile in the not too distant past and Pontiac in the not too distant future. 

Hard times indeed… Sad

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 12-02-2009 10:07 AM In reply to

GM has released an official statement which said that the Saab brand will be discontinued if they haven't found a buyer by the end of the year... There is one of the original bidders left: BAIC. There's also a new bidder: Spyker, which is owned by the Russian Converse bank.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 12-02-2009 11:33 AM In reply to

henrik:
    It makes me feel so sad, the Saab team is/was great and even managed to continue creating great cars even after GM bought the company, even if Saab was even greater before that. I (as a Swede) is of course proud of both Volvo and Saab, but Saab is closer to my heart because of their originality and quirkyness.

I am very sad about the whole SAAB car situation also.  However when Svenska Aeroplan AB sold the car company to GM, the stage was set for what is happening today.  If the Chinese company gains control, SAAB will change again I fear.  It is possible future production will move to China.  This is not a criticism but the reality of the global market today.  I hope for an equitable solution and future of quirky cars.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 12-02-2009 11:37 AM In reply to

beocool:

GM has released an official statement which said that the Saab brand will be discontinued if they haven't found a buyer by the end of the year... There is one of the original bidders left: BAIC. There's also a new bidder: Spyker, which is owned by the Russian Converse bank.

There is also Renco Group, which was also negotiating the last time when Koenigsegg "won" the deal.

-mika

• 12-02-2009 12:37 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

It's sad when something you actually take for granted is in danger..  You just assume Saab will be around forever, like Rover i suppose.  Although Rover were (on the whole) garbage in the 80's/90's, i never expected them to actually cease trading and close down.  That was like your parents getting divorced - not beyond the realms of possibility, but a total shock when it happened.

Saab (in the 80's and 90's as i knew them) to me are like B&O. Quirky styling. great build quality and above all 'niche'.  You bought Saab to be different without taking a gamble on quality.  The 900 Turbo was 'nutter fast' but was utterly bulletproof.. then i look at todays 9-3 and see a Vectra in high heels wearing lipstick..

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 12-14-2009 11:30 AM In reply to

GM has announced they have closed a deal to sell Saab technology, mainly tooling and powertrain technology for the current 9-3/9-5, to BAIC. Saab will also assist BAIC to integrate these technologies into upcoming BAIC vehicles. Meanwhile, Spyker and the Renco Group are still interested in the takeover of Saab.

• 12-15-2009 4:34 PM In reply to

beocool:
    GM has announced they have closed a deal to sell Saab technology, mainly tooling and powertrain technology for the current 9-3/9-5, to BAIC. Saab will also assist BAIC to integrate these technologies into upcoming BAIC vehicles. Meanwhile, Spyker and the Renco Group are still interested in the takeover of Saab.

Hopefully the sale of equipment is nothing more than the usual selling of an outgoing model to another manufacturer in the East.

The situation doesn't look too good re Saab's survival though. I can see the name being sold-off on its own if nothing else comes about. Re Lees comments above, I first encountered Saab as the Saab 96/V4 (which in the 70's had its detractors as not being as good as the predecessor 2 stroke!). Quirky and just a little more expensive than the competition. We had one in our family for nearly 25 years! Later models were initially still distinctive from the competition, but that has gradually gone to a large degree. Having said that my 9-5 Estate / Sportwagon is still pretty distinctive and although a 10 year old design it still stands-up to a lot of the later competition. Think I might have to resign myself to switching maker at some point though. Sad

Graham

• 12-18-2009 1:13 PM In reply to

Today's news looks like the end of the line for Saab.

Should we blame GM or did GM just delay the inevitable? Saab needed to have expanded at a greater rate to have had a chance of surviving car manufacturing consolidation. Great sporting cars (Monte Carlo winners) in the 60's.......... gradually went up-market but in the end  left behind by BMW, Audi etc.

In the 70's (96V4's) owners always acknowledged each other with a headlamp flash.......... something that didn't happen with later models as numbers on the road increased and the cars became less individual.

Great pity. The remaining  low volume/ unique alternatives somehow don't look good value. Time to save the planet with a Prius?????? (No good if you need an estate!)

Graham

• 12-18-2009 2:46 PM In reply to

It certainly looks like the end, although I suspect like vintage B&O, there will be very strong owner-driven support for keeping existing models on the road.  The SAAB owners club in the UK is very active much like 'Beoworld' and I hope I will be able to keep my old 9000 going a bit longer.

A distinctive and idiosyncratic marque - much like B&O.

Cleve 

• 12-19-2009 3:56 AM In reply to

I found this on the internet. Sad

• 12-19-2009 8:21 AM In reply to

beocool:

And here's a lady in the US who, when she dies, wants to finish up inside her Saab at the compactors!

• 12-19-2009 8:46 AM In reply to

vikinger:

beocool:

And here's a lady in the US who, when she dies, wants to finish up inside her Saab at the compactors!

How's that for brand loyalty!

• 12-19-2009 10:31 AM In reply to

There was a lot about this in the local press today. In the '60s and '70s there was a lot of unemployment in Finland after agriculture started to give way in the sparsely populated parts of the country. A lot of Finns emigrated to Sweden to work at both Saab and Volvo and many of them never moved back - now there are a lot of originally Finnish people that have worked in Trollhättan or Göteborg for decades and now lose their jobs.

In the late '60s a joint venture between Saab and Valmet opened an automotive factory here in Finland, so many Saabs - actually most of the convertibles - were built in Finland. At some points, Saab was the most popular car make over here and for example police vehicles were almost exclusively Saab 99 (or Ford Transit). I was written my first (and only) ticket in one!

We never had a Saab in the family, neither had I (several Volvos, though) and I never particularly liked them, so I don't have much personal feelings about them. However, they had their technical merits that can't be denied, and it is always sad to see something original go.

On a lighter note, please remember that the fastest Saabs all had Volvo engines Smile

-mika

• 12-20-2009 1:23 PM In reply to

There's some hope. Today Spyker announced they made another bid. GM must react before Tuesday. Let's hope Saab will be saved!

• 12-20-2009 2:23 PM In reply to

beocool:

There's some hope. Today Spyker announced they made another bid. GM must react before Tuesday. Let's hope Saab will be saved!

Maybe it's still a game of brinksmanship, but I don't pretend to understand it. If GM and its subsidiaries had just gone into receivership (rather than a US Gov bailout) then you would think a receiver would simply sell everything off to the highest bidder. Someone would have bought Saab (but maybe just to close it and asset strip it.)

I hope they'll survive but you can still imagine it's possible for a deal done tomorrow to unravel after a few days.

Graham

• 12-30-2009 3:04 PM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

http://iwontbuyfromgm.wordpress.com/

(from the SaabsUnited website:)

The purpose of this campaign is to let GM know that people are watching what happens here.

If they wish to keep these people as even prospective customers,

they should do the right thing and sell Saab rather than close it down.

The 3,000 we've reached is a small number,

but the number that reads the press coverage will be much larger.

Ignace

(Saab 99 EMS)

• 12-30-2009 4:43 PM In reply to

SAAB will not close yet and now there is no deadline maybe!

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091230/COPY01/312309995/1265

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 12-30-2009 5:01 PM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

Let's keep our fingers crossed !

I really hope that Saab will survive.

• 12-30-2009 5:28 PM In reply to

Ignace:

Let's keep our fingers crossed !

I really hope that Saab will survive.

Ditto!

• 12-31-2009 1:14 PM In reply to

Bids for Saab will be accepted up to January 7, but it is unclear how many offers GM is fielding.

Spyker recently entered an updated bid initial talks with GM failed to produce an agreement.  Spyker needs to demonstrate to GM they have the financing to back up their latest offer, something that may be the final hurdle to a deal.

• 01-02-2010 6:54 AM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

On Saabs United there is a YouTube video of a Saab 9-5 Aero (2010) Turbo6 XWD

which was spotted in Trollhattan

http://www.saabsunited.com/

• 01-06-2010 12:47 AM In reply to

Spyker made a third bid yesterday. The deadline of january the 7th still stands. As before the bid is backed by Russian and Arab investors.

Page 1 of 2 (44 items) 1 2 Next >