in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-27-2009 10:10 AM by cooldude. 68 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-22-2009 9:46 AM In reply to

Re: BeoSound 5 Bang&Olufsen's big mistake?

To me BeoSound 5 was a big mistake even before it was released..

I use my BeoPort everyday for NMUSIC and NRADIO, and I really don't know why I should spend 10 times more money in BeoSound 5, because to me it does 10 times less than a BeoPort box:

- no CD playback

- no PHOTO option

- no album or title search by simply typing the name on the keyboard, because

- there is no keyboard..

- no possibility to edit the info on NMUSIC, because

- there is no keyboard

- BeoMedia is like a computer, but can't be used as a computer, so you'll always need 2 computers with that setup

- if BeoSound 5 is a BeoSound, why fitting the BM5 with so many video connections? Just make a separate wireless box behind the TV to stream PC files on your BeoVision, so many companies are doing this!

- etc etc....

I think B&O should have only released a wireless 2-way control panel like the old MCPs, that one could have connected to the existing PC/Mac with BeoPort/BM Link, and simply fit the BeoPort box with:

- a proper sound card with

- a new digital audio output for BeoLab 5 users

- a single USB connection between PC and BeoPort (power,data and sound can all go through USB)

With a 2-way remote and upgraded BeoPort box, there was not even need for BeoMaster and BeoSound 5!!I think the remote control could have looked like BeoSound 5 but with a true sensi-touch panel & rechargeable batteries via the present "foot" that could have been its docking station.

Sometimes it bothers me to see the obvious solution, when B&O don't seem to see it..

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 07-22-2009 12:40 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

When my Beosound 5 is working, I love it and I love it when it's just sitting  on the shelf.

But the Software is a REAL problem. I don't think that B&O should  have used Windows XP embedded - perhaps that's the cause why the unit has so many problems.

The Beosound 5 controller and  the Beomaster 5 should both have their own software and firmware to work together! It could be a proprietary software that's fitted in a flash rom for updates etc.

Even Sony has learned that the software is very important as their walkman sales were falling down. Now AFTER they repelled their horrible software "SonicStage" you can fill their Walkmans on a Mac & PC just with Drag & Drop and people (including me) love it. Now you don't need a bad sounding iPod, no, you can have a great sounding  Sony Walkman no matter if you use a PC or  a Mac. They've learned the hard way ...

The Beosound 5 is missing some basic feedback and indicators.  
    For example: When I hit "MOTS"  on the Beo 5 I just can guess if the unit has understood the command or not. Or why can't it have  a simple time indicator while playing track (elapsed time, remaining time) etc. ?
    I would love a simple progress bar with improved  functionality like searching within the current track with the wheel.

All these things are only software issues  and it would be totaly easy for B&O to integrate them.

And to be true: Does anybody think that a Beomaster 5 is worth 2500 Euro? It's a cheap PC with ML and nothing more. If it where in a DVD 2 housing it would be ok but this way?

I hope that my Beosound 5  will be much more reliable after my dealer repaired it ...

Currently the Beomaster 5 and the reliability of the complete Beosound 5 / Beomaster 5  system is a shame for the name Bang & Olufsen.

Perhaps they got the idea to outsource  even manufacturing  to maximise  profits ... than it was the absolutely last B&O thing I ever bought.

When I buy an Accuphase CD player it is made in its home country  Japan and it's built like a tank for its money, ultra reliable like it should for its money!

• 07-22-2009 8:53 PM In reply to

soundproof:

The screen image that would have been on your television is sent to your hand. Accessing and controlling media is very simple.

I think you hit here the main concern regarding the BS5, the apple design costs only about € 700 for the Apple TV and the iPod Touch together. The simplicity of using such a solution can currently not be met by the BS5.

I like the design, i like the line of thinking behind it, however the implementation is too limited and the solution is by far to expensive for the functionality offered. I still believe in my earlier remark that B&O should make a front-end which can be integrated with other systems easilyy. Via a "remote" like approach combined with added intelligence and/or, as suggested by other people, by extending the existing audio systems with this kind of functionality.

One of the issues faced by B&O is that the world is more and more dominated by a software based approach with mediocre physical solutions. They can indeed deliver a better physical solution (sometimes) but are lacking behind with the first component, software.  See also the other thread over the Beo5 (compated to the Philips offerings or Logitech). Lots of people are prepared to pay up to 400 euro or more. So spending for usability does not seems to be the issue?

• 07-22-2009 8:59 PM In reply to

Chrisreunion:

think the remote control could have looked like BeoSound 5 but with a true sensi-touch panel & rechargeable batteries via the present "foot" that could have been its docking station.

Sometimes it bothers me to see the obvious solution, when B&O don't seem to see it..

Some people mentioned that due to the distant location of Struer and the very very long development timelines of B&O they are missing out what is happening in the rest of the world. Lets not hope that this is really true Unsure

• 07-23-2009 12:05 AM In reply to

(smacks forehead)

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 07-24-2009 3:17 PM In reply to

• Affineur
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-27-2008
    • United States
    • Posts 90
    • Bronze Member

You have just returned at 9:00P from a long business trip with a couple of unpleasant layovers. You climb into your 911 at the airport parking lot and drive to your home. You tap the appropriate button on the Radio RA remote to open the garage door and light the house before you enter. The entrance door senses the presence of the electronic key in your bag and unlocks. As you enter you drop your bag and walk through the kitchen to pour a glass of wine. You take the wine to the great room and approach the Beosound 5, select a track, and let MOTS do it's thing. You settle into your comfortable chair, marvel at the audio clarity of your Beolab 9s, and relax while listening to other tracks that you had forgotten you liked. You are relaxed, you do not have to do ANYTHING.

This is the essensce of the Beosound 5. It is not a video game, it is not a cure for your attention deficit disorder, it not a multi-tasking productivity enhancement device. It is for listening in a relaxed environment with little or no interuptions. It is not for everyone.

Seek simplicity and distrust it. Alfred North Whitehead
  • 07-24-2009 3:26 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Affineur:

This is the essensce of the Beosound 5. It is not a video game, it is not a cure for your attention deficit disorder, it not a multi-tasking productivity enhancement device. It is for listening in a relaxed environment with little or no interuptions. It is not for everyone.

Exactly!

• 07-24-2009 3:30 PM In reply to

Affineur:
    911 at the airport parking lot

Well, if that doesn't stress you out, what would? Laughing

Honestly though, very well put! A very refreshing take on the situation!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 07-24-2009 4:15 PM In reply to

Affineur:

You have just returned at 9:00P from a long business trip with a couple of unpleasant layovers. You climb into your 911 at the airport parking lot and drive to your home. You tap the appropriate button on the Radio RA remote to open the garage door and light the house before you enter. The entrance door senses the presence of the electronic key in your bag and unlocks. As you enter you drop your bag and walk through the kitchen to pour a glass of wine. You take the wine to the great room and approach the Beosound 5, select a track, and let MOTS do it's thing. You settle into your comfortable chair, marvel at the audio clarity of your Beolab 9s, and relax while listening to other tracks that you had forgotten you liked. You are relaxed, you do not have to do ANYTHING.

And after a while Angelina is coming from other room only with white male shirt  .....

Sorry, but I see Hollywood movie. Usually is not like that ....

It will be nice to live a dream like that, but real life is far more complicated.

And we don't need to complicated more with device like BS5. I can imagine everything you said but with BS9000, BS4, BS2... some magic is missing in your story. Wink

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 07-24-2009 4:20 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Affineur:

You are relaxed, you do not have to do ANYTHING. This is the essensce of the Beosound 5.

Sure....if it turns on and performs correctly. As my BS5 is connected to my TV, via the BM5, occassionally the BM5 interface crashes or shows the BS5 interface, which means selecting any tracks, easily, requires a reboot first.

Again, these are software issues and I'd agree I don't need to reboot it often, but if it happens once in every ten times I turn on my BS5, that's once too often.

Plus, there's no sound equalisation across BS5 tracks, so some can sound a lot louder than others - requires Beo4 interaction. So your 'relax' and you don't have to do 'anything' are more of a dream, than reality.

• 07-24-2009 4:48 PM In reply to

I think B&O should integrate 'voice activated controls' into their new remote.

Now that would be something I would buy immediately...

Also, when I doze off and snore, the music could switch automatically to lower volume and a 'softer' choice playlist ... 

• 07-24-2009 6:22 PM In reply to

Well definitely have to keep alert adjusting volume between tracks :) but no crashes from the BS5 since I've had mine. Occasional album art not transferred which is irritating. P
  • 07-24-2009 7:01 PM In reply to

• Affineur
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-27-2008
    • United States
    • Posts 90
    • Bronze Member

burantek:

Affineur:

B,

Over the years I have come to view the door dings on the 911 as "patina" indicating that, yes, this person actually uses their's.

M,

My BS5 has never crashed..... however my ATV crashes at least once a week. Uhhm.....

Seek simplicity and distrust it. Alfred North Whitehead
  • 07-24-2009 7:55 PM In reply to

cooldude:

One would just have to hope that no music or television sound is playing when you issue a command? Big Smile

• 07-24-2009 8:34 PM In reply to

Affineur,

Well played, sir.

-T

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 07-24-2009 10:45 PM In reply to

Affineur:

burantek:

Affineur:

B,

Over the years I have come to view the door dings on the 911 as "patina" indicating that, yes, this person actually uses their's.

Ummm... that was a joke...Indifferent

• B&o bottle opener
  • 07-27-2009 9:40 AM In reply to

soundproof:

cooldude:

One would just have to hope that no music or television sound is playing when you issue a command? Big Smile

LOL  .. true. Just don't want make things too easy for B&O either.  

The technology exists, (ex voice commanded GPS in cars, voice controled cell phones, speciality software for disabled people to control their pc's) so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to work out, I think and I am sure B&O could come up with a way to make it work design wise.
    For fun, I even did try the built in voice commands  in osx on my imac and it seems to work well (though the commands are limited).... even with the useless built-in little mic. Maybe build a directional little microphone into the remote ? 

• 07-27-2009 10:02 AM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

Perhaps such a system would just need (to be programable to) react to its master's voice and few others only, otherwise there would indeed be troubles as pointed out above - or during a family quarel (or an excited party) as to what should the system be playing now. Smile

• 07-27-2009 10:10 AM In reply to

saf:

Perhaps such a system would just need (to be programable to) react to its master's voice and few others only, otherwise there would indeed be troubles as pointed out above - or during a family quarel (or an excited party) as to what should the system be playing now. Smile

You got a point there.

Yes I think it should be programmable to certain voices.  A necessity, just like speech recognition software I suppose.
    However it could be this easy to push a button on the remote to make it 'listen' to commands  or have a 'trigger' word first automatically dimming the sound and  then acknowledge the given command .

Page 3 of 3 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3