in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-06-2009 12:27 PM by Alex. 44 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (45 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-02-2009 3:20 AM In reply to

Re: Does vintage B&O sound better?

Cleviebaby:

A quick visit to Martin’s (Dillen) comments in various posts on problems with BM2200s and the other 2200 derivative , the BC3300, made me realise I may have bitten off more than I can chew.  If only the blasted thing didn’t sound so good and wasn’t quite so rare I wouldn’t care, but I want it to look and work as it should. What I need is a local Frede, living in some isolated cabin on Dartmoor, and to whom I can make pilgrimage, on foot if necessary. 

The other concern is that I now want more pieces.   A CDX, (I used to have one in 1984 – in its Phillips’ guise as the CD104); a BC 9500 because it’s absolutely beautiful and a pair of white S45.2s to go with it or maybe some Mk1 BL4000s; a BM 4400 and a pair of M100s in Rosewood and that’s before I give any thought to re-entering the world of vinyl

Cleve

You may have my 4400 once I get my 4401 - I don't think I need both. It is a rosewood one and in good condition with a tuning scale cover. Working fine at present though like all vintage B&O, it does have a few small issues! Slightly noisy slides for the tone controls (never used as set to linear) and the power switch will eventually need replacing. Interesting provenance as it was an order for the Bin Laden family (Saudi royal family) but was extra to their needs so the chap who was fitting out the palace was given it and I got it from him. I used to have the box but I am afraid this has probably gone now. It had the name on the box!

You have a guru in Tim Jarman in the south of the country. He is really only interested in the old nice equipment but most of what you list fits into that category!

• 05-02-2009 8:57 AM In reply to

Peter :

Cleviebaby:

A quick visit to Martin’s (Dillen) comments in various posts on problems with BM2200s and the other 2200 derivative , the BC3300, made me realise I may have bitten off more than I can chew.  If only the blasted thing didn’t sound so good and wasn’t quite so rare I wouldn’t care, but I want it to look and work as it should. What I need is a local Frede, living in some isolated cabin on Dartmoor, and to whom I can make pilgrimage, on foot if necessary. 

The other concern is that I now want more pieces.   A CDX, (I used to have one in 1984 – in its Phillips’ guise as the CD104); a BC 9500 because it’s absolutely beautiful and a pair of white S45.2s to go with it or maybe some Mk1 BL4000s; a BM 4400 and a pair of M100s in Rosewood and that’s before I give any thought to re-entering the world of vinyl

Cleve

You may have my 4400 once I get my 4401 - I don't think I need both. It is a rosewood one and in good condition with a tuning scale cover. Working fine at present though like all vintage B&O, it does have a few small issues! Slightly noisy slides for the tone controls (never used as set to linear) and the power switch will eventually need replacing. Interesting provenance as it was an order for the Bin Laden family (Saudi royal family) but was extra to their needs so the chap who was fitting out the palace was given it and I got it from him. I used to have the box but I am afraid this has probably gone now. It had the name on the box!

You have a guru in Tim Jarman in the south of the country. He is really only interested in the old nice equipment but most of what you list fits into that category!

Peter,

Your generosity is legendary, but that is a stunning offer, particularly as we have never met.  Thank you. 

I contacted Tim once via the Beocentral site to congragulate him on the book, and to blame him for what was basically the first sign of what is inceasingly and worryingly becomig addictive behaviour.  He wrote back very supportively, pointed me towards the M100s rather than BV 5702s as a more suitable match for the BM 4400, and overall was really helpful (although didn't suggest a way of curing this addiction).  As he apparently has your old BC4000, would he be able to advise on who could offer some sort of restoration on mine?

Cleve 

• 05-02-2009 9:51 AM In reply to

He would take it on I expect, but he prefers equipment brought and collected rather than posted. Cosmetic problems are very hard to remedy though. It is always best to start with a mint looking but not working device than a working scruffy one.

I should be getting my 4401 in July by the way! I can probably drop the 4400 off with Lee for pick up at that time. Also getting back my Beolab 5000 and Beogram 3000 from Frede so will once again be awash with B&O!

On the M100 front, it does depend on the size of room. M75s or M150s would be a slightly smaller but excellent alternative.

• 05-02-2009 10:12 AM In reply to

Peter :

He would take it on I expect, but he prefers equipment brought and collected rather than posted. Cosmetic problems are very hard to remedy though. It is always best to start with a mint looking but not working device than a working scruffy one.

I should be getting my 4401 in July by the way! I can probably drop the 4400 off with Lee for pick up at that time. Also getting back my Beolab 5000 and Beogram 3000 from Frede so will once again be awash with B&O!

On the M100 front, it does depend on the size of room. M75s or M150s would be a slightly smaller but excellent alternative.

Peter,

That sounds absolutely wonderful.  I am planning a venture to Eastbourne at some stage to have a good look at Lee's showroom.  I thought the 4401 was almost mythical.  Where did you find it?.  

As far as the tatty but working BC4000, I realise I did it the wrong way around - but it was my first venture into old second hand kit.  I expect all addicts made similar rash moves in their early days. It isn't that bad - it's just that I have this perfectionist streak whwre B&O is concerned. 

You would think at 59 I would have gained some wisdom, but I'm like an excited child at the moment - ridiculous. 

Once again, thank you.

• 05-02-2009 10:32 AM In reply to

I must confess that I thought it was mythical for a while. Tim and I actually dismantled a 4400 with the idea that it be anodised in black - we had visions of giving it to B&O for their museum to see if we could get a fake piece in. However Frede found a real one just as I had finished pulling the 4400 apart! He then found another which he is kindly giving to me! I have made a Beogram 4001 to go with it!

• 05-02-2009 3:22 PM In reply to

Peter :

I must confess that I thought it was mythical for a while. Tim and I actually dismantled a 4400 with the idea that it be anodised in black - we had visions of giving it to B&O for their museum to see if we could get a fake piece in. However Frede found a real one just as I had finished pulling the 4400 apart! He then found another which he is kindly giving to me! I have made a Beogram 4001 to go with it!

Peter,

I can see how the Beogram 4001 would match the BM4401 visually, but taken as a single entity, it doesn't have the 'wow' factor of the standard aluminium finish.  It does have real rarity value though!

Frede seems a lovely chap as well! 

Cleve

• 05-02-2009 6:10 PM In reply to

I do have a 4000 and a 4004 as well! Laughing

• 05-05-2009 4:26 PM In reply to

I still use a Beomaster 1200 with Beovox 2600 speakers. After 35 years +(!) the sound quality is still superb. A couple of minor niggles: the volume control slides can cause crackle or even loss of sound on one speaker if they're not regularly slid back and forth. One of the wavelength lights has failed, and if I listen vey carefully there is a very faint background hum that may be the mains transformer. The 1200 is also fed by a Roku unit for broadband radio.

My other 'Sound' system is my 32 DVD Avant. The sound quality is difficult to compare against the Beovox 2600's: I wouldn't say it was materially inferior although the DVD unit makes a noticable whirring noise when playing CDs. I've never felt any need to extend the TV sound system with additional speakers. Pity that modern B&O equipment is generally incompatible with the older units.

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 05-05-2009 4:32 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I've never come across one unit which is incompatible with another. Heck, I've used my CD6500 with my BeoMaster 900, and there's nothing stopping me using a BeoSound 5 with a BeoLit 600.

As for vintage B&O sounding better than modern B&O, I think this is untrue. There may be many, many stunning sounding B&O models from the last 40 years etc..., but there have also been many stunning sounding B&O models from the last few years. Look at the last 10 years - we've had the BeoLab 1, BeoLab 9 and BeoLab 5 in the range - arguably the three best sounding B&O speakers ever made.

Not to forget the BeoSound 9000 which is IMO a fantastic sounding piece of kit, the BeoSound 5 which is one of the smoothest sounding systems I've ever listened to, and the BeoSound 1, which is IMO the best compact/'where B&O starts' system B&O have ever had.

Don't forget the BeoLab 7-1/2, which is by far, the most surprising speaker I've ever heard.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-05-2009 4:40 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

.....stunning.................best....................fantastic....................smoothest....................best...................most suprising!

Go on Alex, you tell 'em!Laughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 05-05-2009 4:55 PM In reply to

Alex,

Can I connect my Avant external speaker connections to the Beovox's via the 1200 amp???

Vikinguk

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 05-05-2009 6:15 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

vikinguk:

Alex,

Can I connect my Avant external speaker connections to the Beovox's via the 1200 amp???

Vikinguk

Yes, but I personally wouldn't - the Avant's speakers will outshine the BeoVoxes by quite some bit IMO.

Puncher:

.....stunning.................best....................fantastic....................smoothest....................best...................most suprising!

Go on Alex, you tell 'em!Laughing

I don't know why B&O bothers with all this salesman training, they should just direct them to my posts right here! Stick out tongue

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-05-2009 6:44 PM In reply to

You can keep your Beosound 5s etc.

I'll tell you what looks the business:

...no competition :)

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 05-05-2009 7:09 PM In reply to

• PD
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Eastbourne, England
    • Posts 210
    • Bronze Member

Cleviebaby:

I can see how the Beogram 4001 would match the BM4401 visually, but taken as a single entity, it doesn't have the 'wow' factor of the standard aluminium finish.  It does have real rarity value though!

Frede seems a lovely chap as well! 

Cleve

really? I'd say the black was more attractive.

J0hnbarker - that little setup is beautiful!!

hmmm, i wonder if I had a set of actives attached to my BM6500 as say front speakers, then passives as rears whether it'd give me the clarity in front of me but still the overall warmth of tone missing from the modern stuff...

PD "The difference betwixt erotic & kinky is that betwixt using a feather & using a chicken..."

• 05-05-2009 7:24 PM In reply to

j0hnbarker:

You can keep your Beosound 5s etc.

...no competition :)

It certainly is stunning, but am I missing something here?  Where are the pickup/sensor arms?

Cleve

• 05-05-2009 7:30 PM In reply to

j0hnbarker:

Sure does Smile

Funny - that must be the first picture ever I see of BM6000 quad with the lights on!

-mika

• 05-05-2009 7:34 PM In reply to

Cleviebaby:

It certainly is stunning, but am I missing something here?  Where are the pickup/sensor arms?

Haha! I guess John used a 2-5 second exposure time and just clicked on "start" before releasing the shutter... so the carriage moved forth and back and disappeared from the image. And I never noticed! Laughing The tell-tale sign is that both 33 & 45 rpm dials seem lit at the same time Wink

-mika

• 05-06-2009 11:25 AM In reply to

tournedos:

The tell-tale sign is that both 33 & 45 rpm dials seem lit at the same time Wink

Quite right Mika! 13 sec exposure time actually, with a tripod and remote to take the shot.

Am going to mess about with the 8000 system later on in a similar way.

BTW - the lights were out on the 6000 when I got it. Tim Jarman sorted them amongst the other gremlins that needed sorting!

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 05-06-2009 11:48 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Cracking Picture j0hn!  Well done mate.

Alex, you won't turn into a pumpkin if you make a negative comment about B&O.  Go on, try it............ if you dare!

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-06-2009 12:27 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Oooh well a good replacement for the BeoCenter 1 would be nice. Most people here in Bath don't want a 40" TV + separate DVD player + radio (DVB radio is a little fidgety for a lot of people).

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 2 of 2 (45 items) < Previous 1 2