in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-28-2009 4:29 AM by Dave. 38 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-16-2009 6:02 AM

remove user name and personal details

After being a member on the previous beoworld site and also this site, I now want to remove myself from this forum and site,  please can you delete my username and personal details.

I once was a paid member for the 1st year and even received the "f" as a founder, but in the second year I did not renew my subs, over this time I have and IMO thought that there are a few members and moderators that are over eager to delete posts and move post and even tell other members where to go, I have seen a small click of people gang up and police this site somewhat in a manner close to the met police and the G20 summit, again this is my thoughts.

I have enjoyed the posts and reading the stories, I have even given away items on here for free, partly due to moderators removing my post for "not paying the fee" to be a Silver or Gold member.

So Please remove my details.

Jon

• 04-16-2009 6:58 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: remove user name and personal details

Jon,

Sorry to hear that you are unhappy. We have a few rules at Beoworld, the moderators are here to keep things clean and we do our best.
    We are only humans though and none of us are flawless so if something unfair has been going on, we really would like to know about it.

PM to you !

Martin

• 04-24-2009 7:59 PM In reply to

WHY HAS THIS NOT BEEN DONE!!!!

• 04-24-2009 8:29 PM In reply to

Super AngrySuper AngryHi sensotronic

Why is this so importent

• 04-24-2009 8:32 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

The few people who have the authority to accede your request were holidaying at the time of your OP. I can only repeat Martins sentiments but if you are determined to cancel your membership I will highlight your request to the relevent persons.

In the meantime if being a member of this forum offends you to this extreme then can I suggest you simply do not sign on again and you will hear from one of the site administrators verifying that your membership has been terminated.

On a personal level I am truly sorry that you feel the need to take this course of action as you have always been a valued member with excellent inputSad

@birgerbum - please don't be too hard on sensotronic as I know him from being a founder member and as this is an international/multilingual site where we (as moderators) try to make it run like clockwork - the reality is this is often not the case by a long mark and many points &  comments are lost or misinterpreted in translation. Whatever his reasons for withdrawing his membership I think we should respect that.

I do however feel that I need to defend the Beoworld moderator position and am (personally) insulted that the comparison to policing of the G20 summit is grossly unfair.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 04-24-2009 10:04 PM In reply to

Hi Jon, sorry to hear you are taking a stand - I posted recently about the number of supposed members and why the prizes are getting less and less but that never saw the light of day either.  I guess when a site is run as a business by a company and people are fooled into believing the site is 'independent' etc. one can expect such things as you complain of.  The new Beoworld site is a marked improvement but at what cost?  The old site run on a shoestring by Steve James had a certain charm IMHO, forums always have cliques.  See Ya!

• 04-25-2009 2:07 AM In reply to

Not sure where this comes from. The old site was indeed run on a shoe string - one I contributed to regularly. I still contribute the same to this one and am much more impressed with the results. The site is hardly run as a business - any business like this would have gone bust years ago. Not sure what the comment about prizes is about either - brand new speakers etc are pretty special in my view. This site may be bank rolled by Lifestyle AV, but the editorial content is still completely independent and is that of the whole moderating team. I can assure you that no pressure has ever been put upon me to do anything I do not agree with. From the very beginning, I have been the moderator on this forum - I am sure Steve would back me up on that point - and I have never changed my moderating style - which is to do as little removing of posts possible. We have an automatic spam filter which can make some odd decisions but we attempt to approve any posts that this mistakenly removes. All moderators on site are unpaid and do the work in their own time.

I am sorry if sensotronic feels he has to leave though I have no idea why this should be. I have emailed him but have had no reply. We will of course remove all his details as requested though it does seem a shame.

• 04-25-2009 3:28 AM In reply to

Some fair - albeit debatable - points Peter.  There is in my view a commercial element to the site, but one point we do agree on is that it is a shame that a member feels compelled  to withdraw completely.  Am not sure about the Spam filter though, it seems akin to asking 'Why was my order not despatched?' and the response being was that 'my Pc/network went down.'  Obviously am impressed that the Moderators are all volunteers, but Jon has raised an important point about cliqueness (is that a word?!) and feeling a little alienated (inference) and maybe that should be taken on board for the future.

• 04-25-2009 3:52 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

All members are different, act and feel different (which also shows in this thread).
    It's not given that 10.000 members on a forum like this will stay friends forever or
    agree on the way the forum is run or moderated and people are free to come and go as they please.
    There's no rule telling you to use Beoworld but its my impression that the vast
    majority of members are happy about Beoworld and find the forum sections
    both helpful, interesting and entertaining and we really couldn't ask for
    a smoother running forum or one that was more independent.
    We need money to run Beoworld and we have sponsors as you can see at the top and
    bottom of forum pages. Not even near the amount you will see on other fora, and
    we receive no money from B&O.

The spam filter also removes some of my posts. It works very good in that we
    hardly get any spam posts but you only need to post the city name Esse x as one word
    and the filter reacts. The same happens if your post contains a large amounts of hyperlinks
    or words or phrases repeated too many times in one post. We just have to live with that
    which, I think, is not a problem.

None of us moderators are asked to do this or that.
    The moderating team members are also different and no important decision
    is made by a single moderator.

One member wanted to have his membership cancelled and even if this is something that
    happens VERY rarely, Beoworld of course respects that decision.

Martin

• 04-25-2009 4:55 AM In reply to

KingOfSnake:

Some fair - albeit debatable - points Peter.  There is in my view a commercial element to the site, but one point we do agree on is that it is a shame that a member feels compelled  to withdraw completely.  Am not sure about the Spam filter though, it seems akin to asking 'Why was my order not despatched?' and the response being was that 'my Pc/network went down.'  Obviously am impressed that the Moderators are all volunteers, but Jon has raised an important point about cliqueness (is that a word?!) and feeling a little alienated (inference) and maybe that should be taken on board for the future.

I'm not sure which one of Peter's points is debateable. They all seem pretty much statements of fact, as far as I read his post.

I may be responsible in part for sensotronic getting the hump. One of his posts was, in my opinion, an advertisement. He had posted in the general forum because, being a bronze member, he had no access to the sales/wanted forum. As a fully paid up gold member, I felt the need to remind him of this fact.

I've just paid my third annual gold membership fees and I was merely reminding the member of the rules of the forum. If you pay your fees you can use the facilities. Does that make BeoWorld a commercial site?

I am not aware that I'm a member of any clique, if they exist on the forum. If I am then please let me know which one!!

Regards Graham

• 04-25-2009 5:24 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Just before Christmas, I joined a forum that was concerning old ships. I had an old family photo' with a ship on it, and wanted to know its name.
    I was duly welcomed with open arms and within a day, I had the name of my mystery ship!
    Since I don't have a particularly strong interest in old ships, I just haven't visited that site since.  I'm sure I am still a memmber, but I can't see any purpose in asking to be removed.
    I don't care whether the site owner runs it as a business. I don't care if it's being run by Hitler or Fred West! I don't care if they are all talking about me!
    By not visiting, I have in effect, excommunicated myself.  No need to stir up agro on their site by demanding IN CAPITALS that I be removed, to me , that would be a bit childish.
    Just my £0.02

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-25-2009 5:59 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

A few points here i'd like to clarify if i may..

@ KingOfSnake - could you please elaborate on what you mean by 'supposed' members, and also what your concerns are about the prizes getting 'less and less'.  I take great pride in offering the best prizes we can afford in the draws, and we have a large number of very happy winners.  If you think the prizes are not adequate, i would be happy to discuss figures with you and perhaps we could come up with alternatives.  I am always happy to listen ways of improving the site, and this is a genuine offer.  I'm a little disturbed about the 'supposed members' comment though.. I can get an independent source to verify our membership figures at your request.

As regards the site being run as a business.. well, if i ran it as a business i would have thrown in the towel about a year ago.  From a business perspective, i spend way too much time and money than i get in return - and if i'd wanted a brilliant return on the money i put into the site - i'd pay 50p per click on Google Adwords for LifeStyle AV to come top on every search in the world, and still be in pocket.  It's great having LifeStyle be associated with the site, but please don't think for one moment it's a 'Golden Egg' - it's not.  I do this because i want to, i made BeoWorld more interesting because i wanted to, and i decided to give things back to the members - because i wanted to.

It may also drive home my point that my percentage of click through traffic to LifeStyle has not increased from the 'old site' under Steve James.  We could still have had the old site, with no changes, its spam and filth links, daily crashes on it's low rent server, and 'Connoisseurs Club' memberships (shock, horror - Steve did make money from that), and my advert slapped on the front page. That would have been cheap and easy for me - but i felt i owed BeoWorld a little more than that, and have always gone for the best of the best in all i've done for this site.

As for a commercial element, does anyone realise how much a site like this costs to run?  We have a huge archive and database, we're on very high quality servers, and we're running the very latest forum software.  Unfortunately, spamming happens - and Keith will confirm that due to our big presence on the web we are a serious target for spammers (the filters are there for a reason - but if you all want to see adverts for s£x enhancing drugs peppered all over, i will turn them off at your request).  We are also under an almost daily threat from hackers trying to break through our security firewalls, and thanks to Keiths vigilance and expertise this doesn't happen.  If you have had a post deleted, it's almost certainly been auto-deleted by the system. Just PM or email a moderator if you have a grievance, we will always reply.

The 'clique' thing is a final issue that i would like people to expand upon if i may ask members to.  The whole moderating team want people to feel as if they can join in at any time, with any question - and if the site feels intimidating to potential posters then this is a serious issue. I have myself put up small prizes for 'first time posters' to air themselves, and we frequently drive home the point that no question is a silly question.  I even included Bronze Members and people who have never posted in the 10,000 Member Prize Draw in order to make people feel more welcome.  As mentioned, this is a serious point that needs addressing. Comments please.

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 04-25-2009 6:01 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Well said Lee

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 04-25-2009 6:17 AM In reply to

I guess it happens in all fora. I'm a member of a hifi-forum where we occasionally get the temper-tantrum swoonings and "pass the smelling salts" sudden faints with a crash from members who feel they've been slighted - and usually it's either based upon a misunderstanding (it's also a multi-cultural site, with contributors who are not all familiar with the English language), or else due to not having read the rules for the forum.

I've never had a feeling there are cliques here - nor have I objected when my posts have been held for moderation. I've got one now, actually, for the "Problem with BL5 bass" thread, which has been held, probably because of links I placed in it. I really appreciate the fact that there isn't any spam here, and the moderators are doing a great job.
    Another site I contribute to, The Truth About Cars (www.thetruthaboutcars.com) - has a strict rule of no flaming of commenters or moderators. That has led the site to being one of the leading places for automotive news and commentary, and it has attracted "movers and shakers" from across the automotive industry - you'll find the details of car manufacturing and marketing discussed with absolute knowledge of the minutiae, by the people who make the decisions. That would never happen if the place wasn't tightly moderated - while still allowing strong discussions to result.

Knowing something about the cost of establishing and maintaining a site with as many resources available as BeoWorld, I can only marvel at Lee's enthusiasm and perspicacity - as well as willingness to foot the bill. What we pay for our memberships doesn't even come close to covering the total cost. And how does one remunerate Peter's enthusiasm, as he wears out his scanner transferring manuals and catalogs to pdf's? Or Keith's invaluable technical input?
    I was an early skeptic as to the prizes offered to members, for the monthly draw, and can only applaud the fact that it's been maintained as well as it has. To complain about "the quality of prizes declining" is insulting, and leads one to wonder about the motives. I find it miraculous that there are any prizes at all, and quite frankly some amazing ones, too.

The beauty of the internet is that anyone who considers they have the key to improving significantly upon enthusiasts' sites, for a brand/activity/discipline, are free to start their own.

(BTW - this reminded me that it was time to renew my subscription!)

• 04-25-2009 6:24 AM In reply to

I can only completely agree with what Lee has said. I think the site has gone from strength to strength since Lee took it on. Only one person has ever made any money from Beoworld and it is not Lee. Lee has taken a site spurned by B&O and transformed it into a site with 10,000 members. We have more active members, more accurate information and close links with both B&O and with Beocentral, a situation that did not exist before. Lee even appears in the latest official news letter and Beoworld is mentioned in the copy - something that would never have happened before.

I feel proud to be associated with this site and forum which under the leadership of Lee and the immense work put in by Keith has been transformed into a world class repositary of information about B&O. This is the place where you will get the quickest and most helpful reply to queries regarding your B&O set up and this has always been the site's primary aim. In addition we have the camaraderie and humour seen in the Wednesday thread and the allure of the Prize Draw - and remember, these prizes are given out monthly and are not matched even by B&O themselves.

We attempt tokeep up with all developments occurring at B&O, with information arriving often before the official site. We review products and look for services to help keep your equipment running. Latest in this will be a full review of the cartridge repair service offered by Axel. Martin continues to help with all sorts of rare spare parts and members such as Frede give this site the knowledge base lacking in any other site. I think the moderators are almost invisble, which is testament to the care they take in their actions and is exactly as it should be.

So all in all, I think this is a terrific site and I for one am happy to voice my thanks to Lee and Keith for making it all possible.

• 04-25-2009 8:25 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

After reading all the posts on this thread. It seems to me that two subjects keep been mentioned. Which IMO are not a problem.

Problems with the spam filter.......... Well I for one would rather have the occasional post held back for whatever reason. Than have a sight flooded with all sorts of spam. In over 3000 posts I think I have only had a problem with maybe 4 or 5. Even then it did not take long for one of the Moderators to approve it.

Beowrold is run as a buisness/ for commercial gain........ Well IMO it isn't, I see it as the same Beoworld just far better and more reliable. As for the prize draw, how can it be anything other than a good thing. For £30 per year you get to win some fantastic prizes.

One final point I would like to make and have done in the past. Is what a great job I think the moderators do, the fact that you very rarely see what they do. Means they are doing a good job. if you know what I mean. IMO Beoworld has a fantastic moderating team and community. One I am very happy to be a member of.

Well thats my opinion, others may disagree. Thats life I suppose.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-25-2009 9:23 AM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

Here are my thoughts on this topic - Forewarning: my thoughts are not politically correct!

I'm embarrassed that Lee or any of the moderators are having to defend an issue that obviously isn't an issue.  If "sensotronic" has gotten his panties in a "Y" over these non-issues, I would humbly suggest that he's too overly sensitive for internet forums in general and ought to find some other "outlet" (i.e. get a life).  His angst and anger over not having his information immediately removed from a site he can simply choose to not log on to further validates my point.

Having to work within and around large bureaucracies for a living, I get to be around large groups of people daily, and I've gradually come to the conclusion that there are certain personality types that aren't happy unless they're complaining.  That isn't to say that there can't be legitimate complaints within large groups (obviously, there can be a lot of legitimate complaints within large groups of people, particularly in the work space); it's just to point out that there are people who's whole persona and personality essentially seems to revolve around their disdain.  In an open forum like Beoworld, personalities like this won't ever be satisfied and if their complaints are obviously not legitimate, let's not give in to the angst too much ourselves.

Having said that, and having been a member of the older forum, too, I'd like to say that this is one of the best forums that I've encountered on the internet (and like Soundproof, I'm an active member of many forums, some more so than this one).  Though there are obviously many members of Beoworld now, it still feels small to me, and I rarely find myself being hesitant to ask questions or express viewpoints even though I know they may be perceived as dumb - in other words, you guys have been able to foster a very friendly, small forum-like atmosphere despite having such an international site.  That's a real accomplishment.  Keep up the good work guys!

Mark

Mark D
  • 04-25-2009 9:49 AM In reply to

Hi Mark

I agree with get a life I think something else is wrong in sensotronic's life and I feel sorry for him

regards

jan

• 04-25-2009 9:58 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Hey, let's not get too hard on Sensotronic - he had his own personal reasons for what he decided, and we must respect that.  He also cannot reply to this thread any more, which is all the more reason to let this lay.

It's personally sad for me when a member decides to leave BeoWorld for whatever reason, wether it's outside influences playing a part or is completely to do with the site. We have a great bunch of people here, and to lose one is always a downer.

Now i've had my mini-rant on the earlier post, i am genuinely concerned about wether this site seems 'cliquey' or unapproachable.  I would seriously like the input of people that have not posted before with their thoughts on this. If we can make the site more open and friendly in any way - i'm up for it.  If you read the 'My Story' i bored you all with, you will see that although i found the members to be a fantastic bunch of people, i was scared of posting. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do about this?

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 04-25-2009 10:19 AM In reply to

Hi Mark

I agree with get a life I think something else is wrong in sensotronic's life and I feel sorry for him

regards

jan

I think that is an outrageous statement personally, just because the bloke wants to have his personal details deleted you can't jump to conclusions like that.  Well done to Lee and good luck for the future, 1 in 10000 ain't bad! 

• 04-25-2009 10:20 AM In reply to

I'm getting long in the tooth now and have not felt the need to join anything since leaving the wolf cubs in disgrace 50 years ago - until I became a member of Beoworld a year or so ago.   

I have never sensed that anybody was making any money out of this site, and whilst there are obviously some members who know each other well, I wouldn't describe them as cliques.  

What I can say with real certainty based on my own experience is that people have been really helpful to me, have seemd interested in my thoughts or queries and have responded to my naive questions with warmth and good grace.  And just today someone on this forum who I don't know has offered me a pair of S.45.2s - for free!  That's very special, particularly in this cynical world.

Thanks to Lee for the financing and to all the moderating team - keep it up! I for one am very happy with the running of the site

Cleve

• 04-25-2009 10:21 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

9 LEE:

Now i've had my mini-rant on the earlier post, i am genuinely concerned about wether this site seems 'cliquey' or unapproachable.  I would seriously like the input of people that have not posted before with their thoughts on this. If we can make the site more open and friendly in any way - i'm up for it.  If you read the 'My Story' i bored you all with, you will see that although i found the members to be a fantastic bunch of people, i was scared of posting. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do about this?

Lee

Lee, I don't for one think there are any cliques on Beoworld. Now I know you are always striving to make the site better. Which of course is a great thing to do. In this case I really don't think there is anything that needs changing. Also I don't think there are any cliques on Beoworld. Just as I said in my previous post on this thread. We have a great community here on Beoworld. If after 10,000 members, just one wants to leave. That can't be bad. Can it?

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-25-2009 10:39 AM In reply to

Actually I do think there are cliques - though this is completely unavoidable simply because people who like one another and meet regularly on the web will always refer to issues and events that will not immediately be known to a new member. However as long as these people are willing to allow others to join and to take the time to explain some of the more obscure references, I do not think this is a problem. There are plenty of people who simply come to the site looking either to give or receive information to make anyone posting get a reply. It is scary to post on a new site and we have to make sure that any post is warmly received. We could have a new member area where people could introduce themselves, but I tend to find this solution rather insincere so would keep the system we have now.

• 04-25-2009 10:56 AM In reply to

Lee, personally I think that you don't need to worry about this...

As I know you are doing best to run this web ( I know how big this is cos my wife is web designer ) and you are doing great job !

Now we have more than 10 000 members and it is not unusual that some members will be disappointed for whatever reason.

Some people like to make attention by doing this publicly, and IMHO this is only making attention nothing serious.

Whenever someone decided to leave this forum you take it personally... which I think is very good, and because of that we have such a great forum and best service,  I'm very proud to be part of this great community !!!

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 04-25-2009 11:51 AM In reply to

The instances where I've asked for help here, and gotten it instantly, are too numerous to mention in toto - but I'll never forget what must have been one of my first posts. I'd gotten a Beosystem 6500 and wanted to know how to get the Beo4 to play PHONO. Got a very helpful answer in seconds, to what was a neophyte question of the first order, of the kind that many other fora would have greeted with: Jeeeeez, for the umpteeeeenth time someone asks this newbie question.

Instead I got a welcome, a very straighforward explanation, including the fact that the newer Beo4s don't have PHONO in the ADD list, and felt immediately at home. Not much later, someone else asked exactly the same newbie question, and I felt like an expert (and slightly cheeky) when I passed on this knowledge!

I like this place.

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >