in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-14-2008 7:12 PM by Jandyt. 41 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (42 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-15-2007 3:25 AM In reply to

Re: Wiring - Yes/No?

jandyt:

I will connect the mains  and find a way to shove the powerlink cables up behind the Avant. While I have the Avant out from the corner I will also have to find a way to get two 10 metre scart leads through the floor. My Kikinoko DVD/HDD recorder is going in the opposite corner to the Avant as I already have my Sky+ box mounted on the back of it and I think it would spoil the effect if I mounted it on top of the Avant.
    The saga contines, update tomoz. Sorry if I've bored you all to sleep!

Andy T.

Until recently I had 10 meter long scarts for Sky + and DVD1. Despite good quality cabling installed by the local dealer, the loss of signal was noticeable. Worse was the interference on sound on Sky +. Shielding of the cable and connectors was critical. Try not to have the cables running close together.

Finally, (after some years) got agreement from HWMBO to move the equipment closer. MUCH better result.

Gordon  

• 05-15-2007 5:04 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Too knackered to go into detail about todays episode, but to cut it short.

1 Power supply is sorted
    2 One powerlink cable too short
    3 Both scarts too short (thought they were 10m but they were 5m, need about 7m)
    4 Blood coming from both knees, one e3lboww, one thumb and two knuckles
    5 Every mucsle is aching and brian starting to malfunction

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-23-2007 4:20 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

jandyt:

Too knackered to go into detail about todays episode, but to cut it short.

1 Power supply is sorted
    2 One powerlink cable too short
    3 Both scarts too short (thought they were 10m but they were 5m, need about 7m)
    4 Blood coming from both knees, one e3lboww, one thumb and two knuckles
    5 Every mucsle is aching and brian starting to malfunction

Andy T.

Well, I've finally finishedBig Smile
    I ordered a female/female powerlink adapter and five meters of cable from my dealer £30Surprise Wish I'd just got 10m cable from Lee at half the price but never mind, you live and learn.
    I also got two 5meter scart extensions from eBay, Maplins didn't have any male/female extensions. and got them all under the hoose and connected to my Kikinoko DVD/HDD recorder. Every thing is great except----
    Whilst watching DVD, there is a ghost picture of Sky just visible. Could this be coz 2X 5m and a connection? Three meters of the scart are coiled up under the house. The Sky box is on the back of the Avant.
    While on pause or stop or menu with the DVD recorder there is a hum. Could this be caused by the same thing?
    Overall, I'm delighted and intend to do sod all to it for at least a couple of weeks.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-23-2007 4:40 PM In reply to

• Yendys
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 100
    • Founder

Although it can be a challenging job in the loft and under the house it is rewarding sitting back after it’s finished and not seeing wires running across the floor.

At least the spiders aren’t poisonous in the UK, they only bite a little…..

BV10, AvantDVD, BS3000, BL8000, BL6000, BL4000, BL3500, BeoPorts, BC9300, BC7002, CX100s, C75s, Beo4s, BC6000s, LC2s, A9, A8s,

• 05-24-2007 3:18 AM In reply to

Haven't got the hang of this new site yet.... I (thought) I had posted a comment about long scart leads earlier in the thread. Seems not to have posted.

My experience with 10 meter long scarts was disappointing. For some time SWMBO had the sky box and dvd in a case some distance away from the avant. Recently the layout has changed to short cables and the difference is very noticeable. Despite the good quality long cables being supplied and fitted by the local B&O dealer I noticed in varying deegrees;

Ghosting from other sources, buzzing on sound, fuzzy picture.

Separating the cable runs did improve matters but the results were never as good as they are now with 1 metre cable to the sky box. 

Earthing and shielding were very critical. Do you have any ML connections and are all the earth connections okay?

Gordon

• 05-24-2007 3:21 AM In reply to

Doh...... just found my previous post... it must have been hiding.

• 05-24-2007 3:32 AM In reply to

Gordon,

In my experience, even good quality SCART cables longer than a couple of metres produce poor results particularly when RGB video is in use which is the normal case. If I have to go more than a metre, then I use three 50 ohm balanced coax cable for the video, if fact you can buy SCART cables in this form to solve the problems you have highlighted.

Regards Keith....

• 05-24-2007 12:45 PM In reply to

I to have had the experience of hiding cables in the walls.  My living room looks like a bombsite.  Will put phots on this site to show the complete carnage.  However only after i have the finished product ready to live in.  Unfortunately all my walls are made of bricks and blocks so no amount of drilling or hammering with a hammer would achive the cables ducts i required.  So i borrowed my mates diamond edged block cutter.  I have never seen so much dust.  I litteraly could not see my hands in front of my face.  My first thought was is my precious B & O covered up enough?  Ran upstairs tripped, scraped my shins but still managed to cast my eyes on my dust free equipment.  Phew!!!!!

I have encased all the cables in a sturdy plastic covering used for lighting and power cables.  Although this has taken a lot of time i think its well worth it.   The pictures put out on most magazines including B & O ones seem to have all the cables hidden so the object they want us to has all the ugly cables hidden or in fact not there at all.  This i find more pleasing to the eye.  

Just waiting for the plasterer to cover all the cables dusts now and to tidy up the cut to width Beovision 3 cabinet which will be embedded into the old fireplace.  Above it will be the BV 7 32 inch in all its glory, cable free of course.

Cannot wait to finish so i can enjoy all the B & O in its full glory.

B & O Nutter

Carl Sheerman

• 05-24-2007 2:10 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

LaughingLaughingLaughing

Been there,. done that!! Seems, Carl, like your a man after my own heart. Why pay someone to do it when you can make an **** of it your self?
    I hope you tested everything before you started plastering it in!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-24-2007 5:40 PM In reply to

Andy,
             all the cables have been fully tested.  I have even layed an addtional set of speaker daisy chain cables just in case i want to have more than the norm in the future.  Even if i decide to sell i have put in bog standard speaker cable of a high quality.  I have tried to think of everything. 

Just need to finalise the final plugging up off the BV 7 to the ever growing amount of additional equipment.  I think i will use every socket on the back and just have the cables ready to use.  God damm thats a fortune in cables alone.  Cannot do plastering so the builder will do that.  Thanks God.

Will keep you informed.
    B & O Nutter

Carl Sheerman

• 05-25-2007 3:25 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Carl, it´s good to hear I´m not alone! Looking forward to see it as well. Yes

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 05-25-2007 3:51 AM In reply to

• Beonut
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Essex, UK
    • Posts 89
    • Bronze Member

Carl Sheerman:
    Andy,
             all the cables have been fully tested.  I have even layed an addtional set of speaker daisy chain cables just in case i want to have more than the norm in the future.  Even if i decide to sell i have put in bog standard speaker cable of a high quality.  I have tried to think of everything. 

Just need to finalise the final plugging up off the BV 7 to the ever growing amount of additional equipment.  I think i will use every socket on the back and just have the cables ready to use.  God damm thats a fortune in cables alone.  Cannot do plastering so the builder will do that.  Thanks God.

Will keep you informed.
    B & O Nutter

Carl

Just to suggestions which you may have done anyway;

1) Put 1 or 2 HDMI cables in the ducting if you havnt already.

2) If once the ducting is in the wall it will be possible to pull cables up and down it from below the floor, put a piece of phone cable in the ducting knotted at each end, have it over twice as long as the ducting, if you need to pull other cables through at a later date you can attach it and pull it though in either direction. Leave the bulk of the cable in the floor space and just wind up a short piece and hide at the top of the ducting.

Cheers

Peter

My B&O - BS3, BV4-50, Beomedia 1, BS3200, DVD1, BL8000, BL6000, BL3, BL2, BL7.4
  • 05-25-2007 4:03 AM In reply to

Thanks Peter i wll try and cater for all the recommendations that you have given me plus the other members as well.

B & O Nutter

Carl Sheerman

• 05-25-2007 6:39 AM In reply to

• frog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

...Also run coax for digital speaker connection - learn from my mistakeSad. Now I'll never get the BL5s...
  • 05-25-2007 6:40 AM In reply to

• frog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

Duplicated post (sorry)

• 05-27-2007 4:39 PM In reply to

Frog,
           Wish i had a spare ten Grand in a jar but they are just to bog for my gaff.  besides i think they would literally bring the house down not to mention the neighbours.  I will do it anyway just for a giggle.

Thanks

B & O Nutter

Carl Sheerman

• 04-14-2008 7:12 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Gosh, this seems a hundred years ago!!
    I don't have the ghosting problem any more (with my 10 meter scarts) It wasn't a dificult fix either.
    I just keep a Sky remote in a drawer near the Avant. When watching the Kikinoko DVD, I just switch the Sky box off. Sorted!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

Page 2 of 2 (42 items) < Previous 1 2