in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-06-2008 3:54 PM by Keith Saunders. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-13-2008 12:52 PM

speaker switch

hi all,

likely stupid question...

i have one of these (unused -came in a bulk purchase)

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-NILES-AUDIO-SPS-1-SPEAKER-SELECTION-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ290205139120QQihZ019QQcategoryZ64596QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

is it possible to reverse these? (i.e) run (4) different amps and (1) set of speakers? that way i can pump various amps thru the same speakers and save (speaker) room.

might anyone have a better alternative?

thx in advance!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-13-2008 1:19 PM In reply to

Re: speaker switch

By the looks of it, it seems that it's possible to switch any number of speaker pairs "on" at the same time (and the "protection circuit" just limits how many). If that happens, you'll be effectively connecting two amps in parallel. So I don't think it's a good idea...

-mika

-mika

• 02-13-2008 1:45 PM In reply to

Niles makes several speaker switches and HERE is a more up to date version. They appear to be quite popular in the US, but I cannot remember seeing them for sale in Europe.

Regards Keith....

• 02-15-2008 4:48 AM In reply to

For those people in Europe interested in automatic speaker switches, then have a look at Russound HERE

This unit is useful in applications where you have say a TV with external speakers independent of your Beolink system and don't want four speakers. A typical example is in a bathroom where you may have installed a waterproof LCD TV (IP56) and waterproof speakers in the ceiling and you would also like to have access to audio on your Beolink via a Beolink Passive.

Regards Keith....

• 02-18-2008 7:40 AM In reply to

For those interested in the Russound Speaker Switch you can download the instruction Guide HERE

Regards Keith....

• 03-06-2008 1:20 PM In reply to

keith,

sorry for delay in response, just back to the forum yesterday after a few weeks off -death in family...

at any rate...

thx for the niles link! i have the "other" niles piece -and it is well put together -so this may well be the answer. i am also a crutchfield patron -so that is convenient.

i just wish i could run more than 2 sources (lots of beomasters -and speakers -but the speakers take up too much room)

thx again,
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 03-06-2008 3:54 PM In reply to

Jeff,

You can also get units which will handle more than 2 sources, Niles and Russound are the leading providers of this type of product.

Regards Keith....

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)