in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-04-2008 5:18 AM by soundproof. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-03-2008 4:12 AM

steve wozniak ( apple co founder ) praises bang & olufsen !

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article.cfm?articleid=1903

Knowledge@Wharton: Other than Apple, are there other companies that you admire? 

"Wozniak: I certainly admired Hewlett Packard when I worked there. You could speak to anybody up and down the management of the company. You could talk to the owners of the company, [Bill] Hewlett and [Dave] Packard, anytime.

I try to model my own life after that.

There are cases where, even at a company like Apple, your boss won't let a vice president ask you to go to Macworld. "You have to go through me." That sort of thing.

There are times I admired some European companies for their beautiful products -- Bang & Olufsen being prominent among them." 

popgear is grate™

• 03-03-2008 5:07 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Re: steve wozniak ( apple co founder ) praises bang & olufsen !

On youtube, you can see him playing with and explaining his serene.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 03-03-2008 5:50 AM In reply to

Do you think something can be done between Apple and B&O, "software" speaking in a close future ?
    A partnership that may be different from the one concerning Samsung ?  

Guy 

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 03-03-2008 9:34 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

That really would be great, but I doubt if it will happen. I have read about a Windows-based Beomedia, and therefor it is quite unlikely that there will also be an Apple-B&O partnership. 

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 03-03-2008 10:23 AM In reply to

• Munin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

This is no good.

Woz just critizised iPhone, AppleTV and Macbook Air.

I want Steve to be pro B&O rather than Woz.

That's the only road to integration.

/M 

• 03-03-2008 11:17 AM In reply to

• V13WNG
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-11-2007
    • Eastbourne, East Sussex, ENG
    • Posts 200
    • Bronze Member

Sorry Munin, I'm not sure I understand your response?

Who is "Woz", and "Steve"?? Huh?

Muchos Gracias Cool

• 03-03-2008 12:07 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

GuyHui :

Do you think something can be done between Apple and B&O, "software" speaking in a close future ?
    A partnership that may be different from the one concerning Samsung ?  

Wozniak has absolutely nothing (apart from earning a royalty payment) to do with Apple, he just makes comments on his past, separate from any Apple business.

Can we please move away from the daft 'wouldn't it be good if Apple...'. Apple operates is a completely different consumer bracket from B&O and the only thing B&O would benefit from Apple, is the software technology. Apple doesn't license this to others, and why should it?

On the other hand, what on earth would a $800 million/year company such as B&O do for Apple? Apple shift more products from two or three of their largest retail stores than the entire chain of worldwide B&O stores. What technologies and patents do B&O own than would interest Apple? That's the only reason Apple would ever consider B&O.

• 03-03-2008 2:12 PM In reply to

Tom:

That really would be great, but I doubt if it will happen. I have read about a Windows-based Beomedia, and therefor it is quite unlikely that there will also be an Apple-B&O partnership. 

Yes, meantime just think about having iTunes integrated in the BS5 to come. That may be impossible, but raising the idea is interesting.

Guy 

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 03-03-2008 2:24 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • Posts 223
    • Bronze Member

Apple is hype ! nothing special with the software. The BS5 will beat them all. Crap Apple products :D :D
  • 03-03-2008 3:15 PM In reply to

• Munin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

Woz is Wozniak and Steve is Jobs ...

sorry ...

/M 

• 03-03-2008 3:17 PM In reply to

• Munin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

About BS5 ... is it true that it is audio-only? 

And why is this? Seems so strange.

/M 

• 03-03-2008 3:35 PM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

Peter :

I now can choose from my entire collection and get full feedback in any room. This is a huge advance and is only possible using my mac and iTouch. I don't have a TV screen in every room and I don't want one in every room. I do have music in all my rooms and most are linked. B&O do not provide a solution to this and I have a nasty feeling BS5 will not either - but I hope I am wrong.

This is a quote from a different thread (Munin). Now, suppose B&O do follow this forum very/too closely  ... Stick out tongue

(Sorry, Peter, just playing with words Big Smile )

PS The discussions (though heated) were very enjoyable lately - at least as far as I can understand them.

• 03-03-2008 3:48 PM In reply to

I am sure Peter will be happy enough whether its B&O, Apple or someone else that offers him the solution he wants and that's great. My lifestyle and listening requirements are somewhat different so I have no need for such a system, whoever makes it. What I have is enough and it meets my needs perfectly. I love operating it almost more than watching listening to it! Interior design (and strong design statements) are my requirements, its not about the practicality of playing my media but visually, how it is done.

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 03-03-2008 3:53 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Munin:

About BS5 ... is it true that it is audio-only? 

Yes, but then I thought about this the other day. Clearly B&O aren't going to produce their own iTunes Store, therefore there's no easy way for them to get videos to the BS5 (which I thought was going to be a BeoMaster?).

Ideally it would be good if a user could simply insert a DVD movie and for the BeoMaster 5 to rip to the device. Snag is, it wouldn't be legal, wouldn't work very well and would take a huge amount of space on the internal hard drive. Think about how hard it would be to rip and store Blu-ray's.

Another option would be to enable users to rip to their PC and move it across to the BeoMaster 5, but the BM5 is supposed to be standalone, so that wouldn't happen either.

So, B&O couldn't make the storage and playback of video work very well and, unless it's immensely simple for the end-user, B&O tend to shy away from anything tricky.

• 03-04-2008 3:12 AM In reply to

Alex:
    Apple is hype ! nothing special with the software. The BS5 will beat them all. Crap Apple products :D :D

Yep, but BS5 will be based on Windows software, and IMHO I am wonder if it will be really reliable.

BTW, thanks for your "construtive" point of view, I have learnt a lot about Apple, your description was very detailed though. 

Guy 

• 03-04-2008 4:16 AM In reply to

yes , apple are so crap that they can make $1.5 billion profit on $9 billion turnover

while DELL made only $600 million on $45 billion turnover

nuff said 

popgear is grate™

• 03-04-2008 5:13 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Just goes to show how much they're ripping people offWinkBig Smile

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 03-04-2008 5:18 AM In reply to

Puncher:
    Just goes to show how much they're ripping people offWinkBig Smile

I know you're aware of this, but it actually goes to show that their products are so attractive that people are willing to pay a premium to experience them. 

Apple - 1:6
    Dell - 1:75
    B&O - 1:12.5 (rough calculation)

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)