in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-21-2008 11:11 AM by Beonut. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-18-2008 5:13 AM

now hd dvd is dead

when can we expect a range of blu ray equipped bno tv's ?

maybe they'll even make a bno ps3 ?? 

popgear is grate™

• 02-18-2008 5:38 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Re: now hd dvd is dead

Flappo The Grate:

when can we expect a range of blu ray equipped bno tv's ?

maybe they'll even make a bno ps3 ?? 

The answer is- when the price of blue ray drives reaches parity with standard dvd- that is about 12 months away.

Then BnO can charge  a huge price when everyone else is selling it for next to nothing. Im sure the company line of 'waiting till technology matures' is more to do with buying price!

Anyway all this is academic because in 2 years from now downloads and high capacity cards will be the order of the day.

• 02-18-2008 7:01 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

355f:

Then BnO can charge  a huge price when everyone else is selling it for next to nothing. Im sure the company line of 'waiting till technology matures' is more to do with buying price!

Doubt it. You can buy a relatively cheap Blu-ray internal drive for your PC these days. It's purely due to the lack of interest in HD-based DVDs generally. Combined together, how many HD-DVDs and Blu-ray DVDs are sold in a year, compared to SD DVD? I can't see people rushing out now buying Blu-ray players simply as it's 'won'. Also, the majority of PS3 owners struggle to afford the games; they don't buy many (or any) Blu-rays. As I've mentioned before, the PS3 magazine editors are all based in Bath and they claim that few (including them) PS3 users actually collect and watch Blu-rays.

For most non-B&O owning customers, retail Blu-rays are simply not worth the money. 300 on Blu-ray is around £15 and recently £3 on SD DVD. Same with Departed, Blood Diamond and many others...

• 02-21-2008 11:11 AM In reply to

• Beonut
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Essex, UK
    • Posts 89
    • Bronze Member

I suggest the price of blu-ray disc's will drop quite quickly, for 2 main reasons; 1) sales volumes will increase faster with no alternative format and price will fall as a result. 2) The price will fall becasue the current disc price is comparible to an HD DVD price, the market will now compare blu-ray disc price to dvd price, this can only drive blu-ray disc prices down. Good news for everyone.

Roll on the day b&o release a blu-ray player.

Peter

My B&O - BS3, BV4-50, Beomedia 1, BS3200, DVD1, BL8000, BL6000, BL3, BL2, BL7.4
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)