in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-07-2008 7:41 AM by Graham1982. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-07-2008 6:55 AM

Keep non B&O stereo or opt for B&O 9500

Hi:

Still debating whether or not I should buy a 9500 - I want one but I am considering the following things:

Before I started collecting B&O I collected video games and consoles (I have quite a comprehensive collection). I still do collect these but this is not really the point. Before that and before I had B&O money I used to build my stereo system from seperates that I sourced from different places - Ebay, Cash Converters etc. Cash Converters does not seem like the best place to get decent equipment but my local one is ran by muppets and thus sometimes a good bargin can be had.

My Stereo at present consists of a Sony AV amp from the States (don't have model number with me) must be a few years old as one of the input selectors says LD/DVD; a Technics 5 disc CD changer of about the same age (I am not really that into HiFis that I can tell the difference between a bad CD player and a good one) and a pair of brand new Kenwood floor standers that I paid about $200 off an American airbase. Apparently these are worth a bit more as soliders get a slight discount etc.

Thus I am trying to work out whether I will get the same quality of sound from a 9500 connected to my Avant for the time being and then connected to some good B&O speakers in the future. There is the option of connecting the 9500 to my existing Amp and speakers but I am reluctant to do this - what is the point of having a minimalist system with the clutter of a secondary system to power it?

Of course it would not be fair to compare TV speakers with independent HiFi speakers. However, I am impressed with the quality of  sound produced when my Xbox is put through the Avant and I will not crank it to the max when listening to music.

Would it be safe to get rid of the clutter of my old system (sell) or should I hold onto it. The reason I ask is because my friend bought a Marantz minimalist system before - I do not know the model number but it is shaped like a bridge and is covered in walnut or plastic walnut and it really was not very good at all.

• 01-07-2008 7:20 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: Keep non B&O stereo or opt for B&O 9500

I'd guess that the Avant will sound better, Kenwood weren't exactly renown for producing fantastic speakers.

Your best bet, however, is just to compare them now. Test playing a CD through the Avant from whatever means you have right now (DVD or CD player), and then through the Kenwoods, and see which you prefer. You may well prefer the Kenwoods as these will obviously have more stereo spread than the Avant's speakers.

Bear in mind though it's very easy to add on speakers to the Avant. If you can afford a 9500, then I'd say go for it, it'll definitely be better than your Technics CD player/Sony amp...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-07-2008 7:32 AM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

Definitely concour with Alex - the 9500+Avant will sound a trillian times better than those horrible Marantz Arch systems - and as for looks.............

Cheers

Nigel 

• 01-07-2008 7:41 AM In reply to

Hi:

That was what I thought too, however I did not want to replace my stuff with an inferior sound just because it is B&O not that this was likely. I think it would be best all round if I get the B&O as I will be living for at least a year in one room (house share) and thus the ability to save space by connecting the 9500 to the TV for a while before buying or renting a house will mean that I can save space and still have kick ass decent equipment!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)