in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-06-2008 9:45 PM by camshaft. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-06-2008 4:15 PM

When is B&O not B&O?

Not a thread about the DVD2 or Beosound 6! But in my case about something I own. I am having a Beogram 3000 T5210 restored. At present it has a ST/L arm on it and an SP cartridge. Apart from the wood surround and the badge, the rest is pure Thorens TD124. My options are:

1. Just restore it to its original state.

Pros - obviously original.

Cons - Not the greatest arm in the world and an outdated cartridge.

2. Put an ST/P 12" arm on it.

Pros - better alignment of cartridge. Looks very cool! Still B&O.

Cons - have to nick arm back from Lee! Still odd cartridge!

3. Put an SME 3012 arm with a MMC20CL on it.

Pros - I have the SME headshell and CL! Arm suits the deck rather well.

Cons - see title of thread! Is this B&O any longer? 

• 02-06-2008 4:26 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: When is B&O not B&O?

Ah but was it B&O in the beginning Peter?

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-06-2008 4:29 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

How many thought they knew about stuff only to realise they are complete, lightweight amateurs??ConfusedLaughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 02-06-2008 4:30 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Well Peter IMO. If you are having it restored then it should be as original as possible. Are you doing the work yourself?

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 02-06-2008 4:34 PM In reply to

Medogsfat:

Chris.

Interesting question. In this case, the medium transport is Thorens, the arm, cartridge and case is B&O. Compare any cassette deck except the 5000 ! Consider all the VCRs. Or TV sets!

I think I am heading towards 2 simply because it looks so good! How shallow is that! Laughing 

• 02-06-2008 4:36 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Peter:
    Medogsfat:

Chris.

Interesting question. In this case, the medium transport is Thorens, the arm, cartridge and case is B&O. Compare any cassette deck except the 5000 ! Consider all the VCRs. Or TV sets!

I think I am heading towards 2 simply because it looks so good! How shallow is that! Laughing 

The shallower the better - you can never sink in the shallowsWink

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 02-06-2008 4:38 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Why not? Your thinking is right along the lines of B&O philosophy.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-06-2008 4:39 PM In reply to

Craig:

Well Peter IMO. If you are having it restored then it should be as original as possible. Are you doing the work yourself?

CraigSmile

No - I am worse than Mobey!

I am delighted to say that my full 5000 system including Beomaster, Beolab, Beogram 3000 and Beovox 2500s will be restored by Frede, the ultimate master of the Beolab system!  Have a look at his site - it really is rather good. By the way, if anyone has product manuals in English for the Beomaster, Beogram or speakers, I would be eternally grateful to either buy or borrow them. I have already sent him the Beolab one.

• 02-06-2008 4:47 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Peter:
    Craig:

CraigSmile

No - I am worse than Mobey!

I am delighted to say that my full 5000 system including Beomaster, Beolab, Beogram 3000 and Beovox 2500s will be restored by Frede, the ultimate master of the Beolab system!  Have a look at his site - it really is rather good. By the way, if anyone has product manuals in English for the Beomaster, Beogram or speakers, I would be eternally grateful to either buy or borrow them. I have already sent him the Beolab one.

No need. checked out his site already. Had a look just before Christmas, and got a quote for restoring my Beomaster 1000. It will be taking a trip to Frede soon.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 02-06-2008 9:45 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Peter I'm surprised that as a true b&o enthusiast you even had to think for a moment before knowing the true answer.  You need only to stop and ask yourself, "If Peter and Svend were in my situation, what would they do?"  Whatever you decide the answer is, is true b&o  :-)

Austin

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)