in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-26-2007 8:33 AM by Peter. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-25-2007 4:19 AM

• David
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-05-2007
    • England
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

Windows Media Center, Beoport or Mac Mini?

Hello Everyone,

I want to start using my Bang Olufsen setup to play music which is stored on my PC with itunes. My itunes library is now bigger than my CD collection so I thought I should take the leap into new territory.

My main pc with all the music on has Windows Media Center installed and has the romote but I have never used it, it also has a Wireless LAN conection.

Is anyone on here using the WMC to access their itunes via their B&O setup? If so how do you connect the pc to the B&O system? Plus can you use the Beo4 to control the WMC?

I have a few options,.I could buy a Mac Mini and an itouch and use that connected to my B&O setup or I could use the WMC currently installed but never used.

Another option is Beoport but I don't know much about it.

Any comments most welcome.

Cheers,

David.

Beolab 8000, Beolab 6000, Beolab 2, LG CX65, Beosystem 3, Beosound 9000, Beolab 3500

• 11-25-2007 4:48 AM In reply to

Re: Windows Media Center, Beoport or Mac Mini?

I don't know WMC but can tell you the Beoport option is a good and cheap solution.

We use it in combination with a Mac Mini, but a PC would be fine too. 

Our Mac Mini is also connected to the TV via a DVI cable. Incedently, if I can't figure out where a specific song is located, I turn on the TV with "PC" on the BEO4 and start browsing the computer with keyboard and mouse.

If you go the Apple route, you get playlist/song/artist feedback on a compatible audio system (BS9000, BS3200, BS3000, BS4, Beocenter 2).

Have fun. 

• 11-25-2007 5:22 AM In reply to

• David
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-05-2007
    • England
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

What advantages does Beoport have over just using itunes via your mac?

Beolab 8000, Beolab 6000, Beolab 2, LG CX65, Beosystem 3, Beosound 9000, Beolab 3500

• 11-25-2007 5:34 AM In reply to

David:
    What advantages does Beoport have over just using itunes via your mac?

Control. You can control the music from any link-room if you like. 

If you have a Link setup I would suggest to use Beoport. But to control Beoport you'll need an up to date B&O (audio) setup.

The cheapest solution is to buy an Apple Airport Express and hook it up to your (non-) B&O installation.

The AAE was my solution before I bought the Beoport. 

Now the AAE is hooked up to my Beosound 1 in the spare bedroom. 

• 11-25-2007 8:28 AM In reply to

• David
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-05-2007
    • England
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

Many thanks for your reply. I have a Beosound 9000 as my music player.It is about one year old, would this be ok to use the Beoport with?

• 11-25-2007 8:48 AM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

Yes, if your Beosound is only one year old, it is N.Music capable. Mine is a tad over 3.5 years old and it is Mk.III, so yours is definitely MK.III as well.

The interesting bit is getting iTunes to work instead of the Beoport application on the PC, I hope others can help you with that. 

Cheers! 

Love B&O, but no longer addicted.
  • 11-25-2007 9:02 AM In reply to

• David
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-05-2007
    • England
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

Is there any thing on the net that demonstrates Beoport? Would be a bit of a waste of time if I can't access itunes from it?

• 11-25-2007 10:18 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

If you get a MacMini and install BeoPort, you can control FrontRow with your Beo4, and therefore use it like a media centre.

Only 'issue' at the moment is that the new Leopard FrontRow isn't controlled by BeoPort, but I'm sure there'll be a software update somewhere along the line...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 11-25-2007 12:00 PM In reply to

Mac + Beoport + iTouch gives you two way remote control in link rooms. You do need the Beo4 to control volume and source selsection, but from that point on, the iTouch allows you to browse your library in any link room. Absolutely brilliant!
  • 11-25-2007 12:34 PM In reply to

• David
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-05-2007
    • England
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

Hello Peter,

Yes this does seem to be the best setup. I played with Windows Media Center today and I had to download extra software to be able to transfer itunes to it. Even then it struggled with the album artwork.

I will dump the WMC, I never used it anyway. I will buy a Mac Mini + Beoport +  itouch. I just love the albums covers on itunes scrolling along.It looks fantastic.

If anybody has any better ideas please let me know before I get my wallet out.

Just out of curiosity has your itouch demoted your Beo5 to an orament?

Cheers,

David.

• 11-25-2007 2:02 PM In reply to

No. The iTouch is very good at browsing iTunes but is controlling the Mac, not the B&O. One needs a B&O remote to activate N.Music and to control volume etc. I am actually using Beolink 1000s and a Beo4 at present. The Beo5 I think will probably remain in my main room and be used for the Avant/Sky+.
  • 11-25-2007 2:38 PM In reply to

• David
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-05-2007
    • England
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the insight Peter. I too have an Avant DVD and Sky+ in my main room as well as the BS9000. Could you give me an idea of your daily operation of Beo5 compared to the Beo4.I do want a Beo5 I just need someone to give me a good reason to buy one. I think it looks fantastic.

Another question.....is your Mac connected to your Avant or a link TV?

Cheers,

Daid.

• 11-25-2007 4:49 PM In reply to

My Mac is connected to the Beoport which connects to my BC2 and Avant DVD in the main room. The Beoport is in the Study. I only use the Mac for music. It workd throughout the house and the iTouch lives in the Bedroom where N.Music operates through some passive speakers (MCL2A) and an LX6000 through a MCL2AV. Also works in the Bathroom and Hall.

Not using the Beo5 that much as I have not been watching much TV! Also still setting it up! It is not any quicker than using a Beo4 for me as I know all the station numbers that I watch so the Beo4 is quick anyway. It does have the advantage that you don't need to remember the key strokes for the Beo4 for Sky+ as these can be programmed as one. I would go and see how good your dealer is at programming it and ask for a demo using Sky. I think it is a great remote but it is not cheap and at the end of the day doesn't actually do any more than a Beo4. It is just a bit more elegant in its command structure - when it is set up properly!  

• 11-25-2007 5:19 PM In reply to

• David
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-05-2007
    • England
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for helping me out on this one,I think I have made up my mind now.Just need to buy the bits!

Cheers,

David.

• 11-26-2007 6:42 AM In reply to

I have a beoport connecting my Mac Mini to my BS4 and then I also have an airport express going to the AUX input of the BS4 in case I want to play music from a different Mac.  Works like a champ.

The Mini also goes to my TV.  Oddly, you can then watch a movie and have the sound come through the beoport to the stereo as well, if this is something you're interested in doing. 

• 11-26-2007 8:09 AM In reply to

• 11-26-2007 8:33 AM In reply to

Of course the big advantage that I did not mention is that the Beo5 buttons are back lit. Very useful and the price is similar to that of the Beo4 Cinema with its backlit keys.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)