in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-15-2010 2:06 PM by burantek. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-13-2010 2:35 PM

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

MCL2A to headphones instead of speakers - ?

Story behind this idea: I use to listen my iPod a lot, especially at the evening or at night in bed with headphones. I have almost all my music on CD's and would prefer to listen those with headphones but in better quality than iPod. Also sometimes I'd like to listen to a radio which my iPod doesn't have.

I now have a MCL capable BM in the same room but too far away to have a headphones -extension cable. (And the face of the BM is behing a corner so I don't think the remote would reach it). Close to my bed I have a Beotime that can be used as a remote (eg. CD track up/down, volume up/down which is all I would need).

Quote from other thread:

tournedos:

BM7000 has no headphone amplifier as such, the headphone socket receives the same signal from the power amps as the passive speakers, only attenuated by resistors (which is a common feature to pretty much all B&O amps and receivers).

Based on this, can I have a following setup:
    A Beomaster (or a Beocenter) with MCL support > MCL2A > adapter from speaker DIN to headphones socket (with resistors for the level attenuation) > headphones. Controls from Beotime and thrue the MCL2A transceiver. 

I ask this as I have a MCL2A kit that I have never used to anything but to check if it works. As it does I'd love too have it in use.

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 09-13-2010 2:59 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Re: MCL2A to headphones instead of speakers - ?

What about having a headphone amp connected to the AUX of the Beomaster?

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 09-13-2010 3:21 PM In reply to

lausvi:

Based on this, can I have a following setup:

A Beomaster (or a Beocenter) with MCL support > MCL2A > adapter from speaker DIN to headphones socket (with resistors for the level attenuation) > headphones. Controls from Beotime and thrue the MCL2A transceiver. 

Well, why not. Put something like 220-330 ohm resistors in series with the speaker outputs and connect a socket after them; this is basically the same setup that most Beomasters have internally.

I think I even drew a schematic for Jeff once (about connecting headphones to a Beomaster 1000), but I can't find the thread now, perhaps he can Big Smile

-mika

• 09-13-2010 3:36 PM In reply to

tournedos:
    I think I even drew a schematic for Jeff once

Laughing

I was thinking of just that when reading the OP. The schematic is HERE.

On another note... somewhere I have pair of Niles headphone switchplates. I seem to recall that you basically run your speaker wire "through" them. They have a headphone female socket. Push the button to switch between the speakers and headphones. I was thinking of mounting them next to the bed's headboard. Pretty slick -but I never used them... yet.

EDIT... quick Google...

Niles HS-1D

Looks like they are out of production, but found a pic at the bottom of THIS PAGE.

EDIT2... Having read that old BM1000 thread again -I see I mentioned the Niles gear there too! Confused Laughing

• B&o bottle opener
  • 09-13-2010 3:49 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

@Craig: that still wouldn't solve the remote control problem! That's why I am pushing the MCL2 -way.

@Mika: thanks - just wanted to make sure and to see if anyone has done this yet.

Also thanks for the link to the schematic. Laughing

And @Jaff: I am pleased to know I am not the only one thinking of wiring B&O to my bed! Big Smile Gladly all my tv's are too big to fit anywhere near!

• 09-13-2010 3:53 PM In reply to

lausvi:
    And @Jaff: I am pleased to know I am not the only one thinking of wiring B&O to my bed!

Taking this thread in again and thinking about it... I think you have a really neat idea about using the MCL2A and a remote w/ headphones. Do keep us posted as I see a lot of people dusting off their old boxed MCL gear for something like this. Yes -  thumbs up

• B&o bottle opener
  • 09-13-2010 3:58 PM In reply to

Yeah, that was it Smile

Reviewing that thread, I think I would now say to be very careful about the speaker connector polarity so you don't short the "hot" signals from the amp together. There are also amps that don't have either one of the output pins connected to ground, so this setup can't be used at all. Although all modern age Beomasters should be safe, the 60's Beolab 5000 for example is not!

-mika

• 09-13-2010 4:03 PM In reply to

burantek:

Taking this thread in again and thinking about it... I think you have a really neat idea about using the MCL2A and a remote w/ headphones. Do keep us posted as I see a lot of people dusting off their old boxed MCL gear for something like this. Yes -  thumbs up

Yeah, I was also thinking that this is a good idea I certainly never thought of - why limit a link room just for speakers. It probably never occurred to B&O either - otherwise they would've put the socket in the MCL box themselves, and perhaps even assigned an apprentice designer to make it presentable Laughing

-mika

• 09-13-2010 4:52 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Actually setting the headphone socket to the MCL box shouldn't be a problem at all, one of those hole-installed (screw fastened) type of headphone plugs fixed to the hole of the transceiver cable (or MCL cable, either of which fits easier) should do nicely! The wires (and resistors) could be soldered to the speaker connectors board on the left thereby making the mod reversible.

Now as the MCL box itself could be setup somewhere close the listening place the transceiver might look a bit out of place being a separate unit. One could of course install the IR-leds to the MCL box too, but that's perhaps a bit too much of a modification.

• 09-15-2010 12:48 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Here comes: MCL2A with headphones output, version 1.0 Yes -  thumbs up

• 09-15-2010 12:55 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Close-up of the added headphones connector. Pretty neat, I'd say, and completely reversible by removing the jack and by desoldering three wires from the speaker output connectors -board. The jack wouldn't fit the transceiver cable's hole I put it to the MCL cable's hole. 

The inside view is too quick-and-dirty to show just yet, we'll post pics of that later with cleaned-up wiring Embarrassed

It's working nicely and as I write this I am listening to a CD thrue the Master Control Link -system with Form 1 -headphones. Yes -  thumbs up The MCL2A does transceive two-way data so if I somehow could fit a MCP5500 (that I just got) to my bed it would be ideal! Big Smile

• 09-15-2010 1:02 PM In reply to

Brilliant! Yes -  thumbs up This is a great project that I may just tackle myself! Keep us posted!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 09-15-2010 1:12 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Thanks Jaff.

One question: which setting I should use on the speaker protection adjustment inside the MCL box? Form 1's are rated 35 ohms. I seem to be unable to make any calculations because of my flu! Erm

• 09-15-2010 1:15 PM In reply to

Yes -  thumbs up

The speaker protection switch - or at least the markings on it - is pretty much meaningless in this context. But, I'd probably put it in the lowest setting to avoid too much volume in the headphones... if the protection trips annoyingly early, then just turn it up some.

-mika

• 09-15-2010 1:58 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

tournedos:

I'd probably put it in the lowest setting to avoid too much volume in the headphones... if the protection trips annoyingly early, then just turn it up some.

Exactly the way I did, thanks. On the lowest setting the protection cut in once so I turned the setting up just a bit.

Some more photos here. The headphones connector used here will be replaced, this was the only one I had at hand at the time of building this. It's unnecessarily switchable -type and it's form doesn't fit there too well. When replaced I will also make some tidier wiring.

I wonder if someone at B&O really did thought about this idea as there are extra soldering points on the speaker connector board.

I soldered the two resistors directly to the headphone socket.

• 09-15-2010 2:04 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

The soldering points used here were un-used in the original wiring.

• 09-15-2010 2:06 PM In reply to

lausvi:

The soldering points used here were un-used in the original wiring.

Well, it does make one wonder if the bean-counters got to it before release! Or, based on that same thought... might the board be a parts-binner item? Does it look familiar to anyone?

• B&o bottle opener
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)