in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-14-2007 4:39 PM by musicsound. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-23-2007 1:00 AM

• Rubicon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-21-2007
    • N. Island NZ
    • Posts 45
    • Founder

Used Beolab 8000's - Potential Problems?????

Hi all, new to the site and first post here. Found you guys a few days ago and just had to show my support!

I have a Beosound 2300 and a pair of 6000's. We are building a new house and I'm looking to expand the system to allow audio in a total of three rooms initially, with possibly TV in the near future budget allowing! I'm currently looking at a pair of 8000's which are 11 years old but very well cared for and with honest history. One of the bases was damaged in transit at some point but was fixed by B&O under insurance, and is now fine. My questions are threefold:

What are the risks in terms of component durability in buying speakers of this age?

Do these particular units suffer from any known problems in other people's experience?

Is it worth getting the upgrade which has been suggested by a local B&O dealer?

Looking forward to some feedback, and I'll save my more difficult questions for another time!

Cheers

Peter

• 06-23-2007 1:38 AM In reply to

Re: Used Beolab 8000's - Potential Problems?????

Welcome to Beoworld, enjoy! 

I have bought and sold many pairs of 8000's of varying ages and my experience is that they are supremely reliable. I have had one speaker with a faulty switch on relay and one speaker with a blown tweeter. My main concern when buying is cosmetic.

I have replaced several tweeters in 6000's which seem to be more vulnerable and one in a 2500.

The mod to protect the tweeters better is probably worthwhile but the fabled "base enhanced" mod is not. I can't hear any difference but many can, especially when they know that the mod has been done!Stick out tongue

Regards Graham

• 06-23-2007 1:57 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Welcome aboard Rubicon, I notice you have a founder member "f" too, there cant be many of them left now.
  • 06-23-2007 4:46 AM In reply to

• V13WNG
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-11-2007
    • Eastbourne, East Sussex, ENG
    • Posts 200
    • Bronze Member

Aha! Tracked you down Peter!

joeyboygolf is absolutely correct - the only real problems I've ever encountered (apart from physical appearance) have been with dodgy relays and blown tweeters (the latter usually down to abuse from a previous owner).

I also agree with joeyboygolf's comments regarding the "Bass Enhancement" - I can't tell the difference, personally, and I know that this is the case with many users, too.

What I do know though, is that 95% of all the BeoLab 8000's I've ever dealt with have been working perfectly - even came across a pair from 1994 once which were cosmetically and mechanically flawless - they really will stand the test of time if you look after them!

Matt :o)

Muchos Gracias Cool

• 06-23-2007 5:11 AM In reply to

• Rubicon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-21-2007
    • N. Island NZ
    • Posts 45
    • Founder

Thanks guys, great feedback, which is what I expected. Big Smile

Cheers

• 09-16-2007 11:48 PM In reply to

Hi! Joeyboygolf

I read about you replacing BL6000 tweeter.  I think one of mine got the same problem,it sounds dull,looks like it's lost on the high frequency. I just wonder where i could get the tweeter replacement for my BL6000 in London,or it's just a regular tweeter i can get  anywhere. If possible ,please tell me what kind of tweeter or part number. Thank you very much.

Filed under:
  • 09-17-2007 2:09 AM In reply to

Your dealer is able to  order the tweeter for you. The current cost in the UK is around £30

I would encourage you to have the job done by your service department as the kit includes components to modify the protection circuit in the amplifier. The job should not take long and I estimate a total cost in the region of £150 

Regards Graham

• 09-17-2007 8:17 AM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

Hi Peter - Welcome to the best forum in the world !

I'm obviously the odd one out..... I bought a pair of 8000s last year and have had to spend over £500 at my local B&O dealer replacing all the drive units and some internal bits as well. Having said that, I only paid £500 (unseen & unheard) for them so I didn't really lose out. The main expense is the labour - the parts themselves are relatively cheap.  As long as you give any pair your thinking of buying a good listen before you part with your cash you should be OK.

Cheers

Nigel   

• 09-17-2007 10:04 AM In reply to

If you only paid £500 Nigel then there had to be something wrong with them!!! I will take all the 8000's you can get me at that price and I won't want to see or hear them.Cool

Regards Graham

• 11-14-2007 4:39 PM In reply to

What about the fronts? I bought a pair and one has a tiny hole. And both have the "tissue" very loose at some parts at the sides. This "bulbs out" a bit and doesen't look good.

Any solutions for this problem?

I tought of taking the fronts off and see if I can glue the "tissue" a bit tighter...

Any suggestions how to take the fronts off?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)