in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-15-2007 7:47 AM by MikaelB. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-14-2007 7:44 PM

Blu-Ray / HD-DVD

I would like to know if these players still play non-HD DVDs please? All of my DVD collection is obviously non Blu-Ray and HD-DVD so will the disks still play if I buy an HD-DVD player or do these players only play HD disks? I am somewhat confused by this new technology. I may end up waiting for B&O to release a module for the BV 7-40 but I don't want to wait too long, perhaps the end of 2008 at the latest. My problem is that I love films and I often buy DVDs, so which ones do I now buy to be future proof? My current DVD player will be the one supplied in the new BV 7-40 to be delivered to me within a couple of weeks. All comments appreciated, thanks.

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 10-14-2007 8:24 PM In reply to

Re: Blu-Ray / HD-DVD

Dear Simon:

My understanding is that the HD players will play regular DVDs.  You may want consider a hybrid that plays both HD-DVD and Blue Ray.  

I recently saw an advertisement for the small computer that plays both.  Her is the name of the machine: Shuttle XPC G5 3300m.  I do not know anything else about it.  The naming is just horrible.

Dario
    When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 10-14-2007 8:25 PM In reply to

if you want to buy discs that are not going to be obsolete then buy regular DVD's. They look amazing on B&O TV's and i would suggest in a lot of cases better than the high definition discs played on lesser quality equipment.

Of course a hidef format from B&O would be exciting however with the price B&O charge for their products they can't afford to pick the wrong format. We also know from experience just because one format is "better" than another doesn't mean it will be successful, ala betmax and VHS.

The format war continues... Stoopid bloody electronics companies and film studios.... grrrrr

jazz

• 10-15-2007 3:51 AM In reply to

All Blu-Ray Players sold after 31/10/07 must accord with the new Profile 1.1,so one would need to verify that a potential purchase is not obsolete stock.

Both Blu-Ray,and HD,DVD Players will play SD DVDs,but whether it would be to the same quality as a high quality standard DVD Player is debateable.

HD DVD Players have tended to be substantially cheaper than Blu-Ray ones.

Upto now combination HD/Blu-Ray Players have given poor quality results,and have not provided all the facilities that are written into the format's protocols.

Another factor to consider is the  library/interest level of films released on the competing formats,ie do you just want "blockbusters".

It is my understanding that more independent(small) Companies have subscribed to the HD DVD format.

I personally have bought a Toshiba XE1 HD DVD Player because of it's excellent quality/price ,and Toshiba's ongoing support by way of software updates.

Whether or not you would see the difference between SD and HD on a 40" screen you would have to decide for yourself,but if you can then why deny an HD panel the opportunity to display HD content.

• 10-15-2007 6:40 AM In reply to

Hi

Although uncertain at this moment, the combined HD DVD/blu ray/DVD players may play a peace-maker role in the format war. They will undoubtedly become better and cheaper. Check out the combi-player from LG and the soon-arriving combi player from Samsung. Claiming there is negligible difference between HD players and SD-DVD players is like claiming there is no difference between DVD and VHS.

• 10-15-2007 7:47 AM In reply to

• MikaelB
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Herning, Denmark
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

Hi Simon,

wait and have a look at you new BV 7-40 which I assume is the new MkIII version. It should be very good at upscaling existing DVD's.

As an other post said - go for DVD's for now. Then wait and see what format wins the battle.

/MikaelB

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)