in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-21-2007 12:11 PM by Iconic-AV. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-21-2007 8:57 AM

Removing lab5000 perspex cover

HOW!!!!

I tried removing using gentle force but no chance, these are stuck on firmly. 

So,  decided to sepertate them and now have my 5000s in bits.... seperated the amp from the speaker and then removed the panel by the 6 screws on the back.

Now... theres lot of wires connected to the display underneath... naturally I got worried and duly placed back on! 

How exactly do you remove the cover from the amp?

TIA 

• 04-21-2007 9:59 AM In reply to

Re: Removing lab5000 perspex cover

The BL5000 display covers are fixed to the speakers with the usual double sided tape. I have one which has come loose and needs re-sticking but haven't got round to it yet! I wouldn't like to remove it if it wasn't loose, be very careful.....good luck!

Simon 

• 04-21-2007 10:04 AM In reply to

Hmm, well I just removed and replaced mine by having to remove screws!!

The overall lower display which houses the silver cube is one fixed piece and fixed to the amp via 6 screws.  Once these are removed, and being very very carefull the display is also connected via 4 smaller screws which need to be removed. The slide switch was a little tricky but with a little fiddle this also came off!

So I now have a perfect 5000 speaker!

Jay, will post the one I removed out to you asap. 

• 04-21-2007 10:21 AM In reply to

Courage Mobe, courage!

Do you just have a new smoked plastic cover or do you have a new complete moulding with aluminium sqare?

Regards Graham

• 04-21-2007 10:30 AM In reply to

joeyboygolf:

Courage Mobe, courage!

Do you just have a new smoked plastic cover or do you have a new complete moulding with aluminium sqare?

I think a few new grey hairs have popped out!!!! Patience was needed! and just carefully looking around making sure I never snagged anything when opening up.   I will have a go at replacing the mains cable to a longer one as mine is way too short at present!!

Complete new piece was put on, bought of ebay around two years ago just never got round to putting it on!!! real lucky buy to be honest!

The old one isnt that bad either, just a some small marks on the alu square and a small mark on the perspex!!! 

• 04-21-2007 11:18 AM In reply to

• beofan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Wales
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

The perspex covers on my Beolab 3000s were both loose when I got the speakers (the double sided foam tape had long since rotted and so the adhesive parts had seperated and were stuck the perspex cover and amp body respectively). I have not bothered to restick the covers because when I came to look at them the inside window of the cover (where the display is visible) was thick with a type of black dust. I guess this is some sort of carbon dust stuck there by static, because of the electrics of the amp? Anyway it was so dirty that it was reducing the visibilty of the display ( the front of the display also had a similar buildup, which I, VERY CAREFULLY, wiped off). Anyway, long story short (too late lol), I decided not to stick the covers back on because they seem to stay in place ok on their own, and if I need to clean inside again it can be done reasonably easily.
    BTW I have been told that one of the best products for removing fine scatches from plastic is Brasso, but don't just attack your treasured speakers with it on my suggestion, test it first! (I haven't tried it yet).
  • 04-21-2007 11:50 AM In reply to

I was going to give you some instructions for changing the electronics over but you seem to have managed it on your own!

Replacing the mains cable is not too difficult if you can use a soldering iron.

Regards Graham

• 04-21-2007 12:11 PM In reply to

mobeyone:

Hmm, well I just removed and replaced mine by having to remove screws!!

The overall lower display which houses the silver cube is one fixed piece and fixed to the amp via 6 screws.  Once these are removed, and being very very carefull the display is also connected via 4 smaller screws which need to be removed. The slide switch was a little tricky but with a little fiddle this also came off!

So I now have a perfect 5000 speaker!

Jay, will post the one I removed out to you asap. 

your a star mobe thankyou so much,Big Smile

when peter told me they no longer sold replacment parts, i thought id forever have to have a plant in front of mine to hide the missing cover

dont know what the chances of you not only having one spare, but offering it to me are, but i would think very high,

once again thankyou, im very humbled by your kindnessBeer

jay

jason

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)