in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-20-2008 8:49 AM by BeoNut1. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-17-2008 10:48 PM

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

Need some Beovision advice from the group.

Dear Gang,

I need some help.  I'm trying to find a B&O solution to my flat panel needs, but I'm finding B&O's flat panel TVs a little exorbitant price-wise and a little behind the times technology-wise.

Here's my dilemma: I'm trying to get away from cable TV (I live in the USA) and move toward getting my media via the Apple TV and a fiber optic internet line.  I'm a die hard Apple guy who believes that Apple's hardware and software solutions for receiving digital media will probably become the de-facto standard (at least in the USA).  I also want to acquire two flat panel TVs and would prefer that they be B&O as I love the brand and because I have two sets of unused BeoLab 3 speakers.  However, as I alluded to, I'm having trouble finding a good combo of B&O flat panels for my needs.

For one TV (in my kids' room), I need a larger flat panel as the room is bigger and as they play games on the Nintendo Wii (which can divide the screen in to four individual screens for four players).  Because of the video game consoles, the extended viewing times, and because I may one day use the TV as a computer monitor (via a Mac Mini or other source), I'd preferably wanted a larger LCD panel.  However, it would seem that B&O isn't planning on going bigger than 40" with LCDs for the foreseeable future.  Likewise, it would seem that third party LCD panels - even of the same brand that B&O outsources (Samsung) - really aren't supported with the BeoSystem 3.  Again, as I have an Apple TV and some spare BeoLab 3s, I'd prefer to purchase a BS3 with either a flat panel LCD B&O or another brand of LCD that attached to the BS3.

For the other TV (in my small living room), I'd considered getting the BV-7 40" III.  My biggest problem with that TV, though, is that I see the LCD panel as dated (it should be 120mhz, LED backlit, etc.).  Also, I wish that the BV-7 had an "optical in" port so that I could have the Apple TV connect optically to the BS3 which would in turn drive BL3s and eventually BL5s.  In other words, I'd use the BS3 in lieu of a "receiver" as I see laser-optical media as being out-dated pretty quickly, and I'd prefer to let my Apple computers do the "heavy lifting" in the background with regard to cataloging and acquiring the media.

Incidentally, you might ask, "why not use B&O's software / hardware solutions for the distribution of digital media?"  Well, as I explained in my open letter to TBS that I posted here (before he got fired), I think B&O is making a mistake by spreading themselves too thin and trying to compete with the likes of Apple in the software / cataloging of media arena.  I'd prefer that B&O stick with the TV / audio hardware and let multi-billion dollar companies with dedicated software teams (like Apple) worry about that aspect of the business.

What's the point of all this?  Well, I wanted to pose some questions to the group that I can't seem to get answered to my satisfaction by the dealers here in the USA:

-I've been inclined to simply put this substantial purchase of B&O flat panels on hold until B&O upgrades some things.  I would do this by either purchasing a Samsung flat panel or a BV-8 32".  I'd only get one or the other (i.e. only one TV rather than two) as a temporary solution until B&O's larger flat panels catch up technology-wise; when that happened, I could use this "extra" TV as bedroom or office TV.  Obviously, if I got the Samsung panel, I wouldn't be able to easily use the BL3 speakers.  If I got the BV-8, I could use my BL3s, but that TV seems like somewhat of a compromise (only one HDMI, expensive, is angled up even when sitting on it's "feet" on a shelf, etc., etc.).  What do you guys think would be the wisest decision in these regards?  Do you think the BV-8 reasonable?

-Regarding waiting for B&O to update their LCD panels, am I thinking clearly?  Is this for naught?  Also, do you think they'll make a larger BV-7 in the near future?

-Should I be including B&O's plasmas in my AV design scheme despite the fact that the larger of the two flat panels that I desire would be used by children in the aforementioned scenarios?

-Is there such a thing as an HDMI "splitter" so that I could turn the one HDMI port of the BV-8 in to two?

-Does the BS3 have an optical "in" or "out"?  Again, I'm thinking in terms of forgoing the traditional receiver (as I plan on letting my computer deliver digital media via the Apple TVs), but I'd still like the ability to upgrade in the future to speakers with optical / digital "in" like the BL5s or to use the audio optical out of the Apple TV.

TIA for attempting to answer my questions and for reading this overly long post.  For the record, I truly enjoy perusing this forum daily and reading what each of you have to say about B&O stuff.  Also, every time I use my humble, seven year old BS1 (my fanciest B&O audio product - the BL3s are in boxes as I have no B&O receiver), I find myself cherishing the feel, sound, and longevity of B&O products even more.

Mark D 

Mark D
  • 02-17-2008 11:30 PM In reply to

Re: Need some Beovision advice from the group.

Lot's of questions:

For the kids room I would not use B&O. No way. They tend not to appreciate the 20K equipment.  And I wouldn't even think about using a large LCD as a monitor. The resolution will not be enough. Note that Apple sells a 30" display, however you need a special graphic card with 2 outputs to deliver the signal. I don't think there is a way you would be happy with anything larger then 24 or so inch, probably less if a mini mac drives it. I probably get a cheap 40 or 50 inch for the kids.

I would not wait for an upgrade. B&O will always be behind, that is part of their strategy not to jump on the latest trends. You may find that the next big thing in display technology usually does make only a little difference and they keep coming every 6 month. So even if you wait after half a year your product is dated. The BV7 is relativly fresh. B&O will never be on par with a samsung or sony. I heard and read a few times though that a bigger BV7 would come. I don't know though how that would work. The 7.4 speaker would probably look too small and a 7.3 way too wide. Could be the 7.2 would fit without sticking out to the sides but that would significantly change the look of the BV7.

You can find HDMI splitters on Amazon, even automatic ones that detect activity. 

I would take a look at both BV9 and BV7. I wouldn't give too much about the Apple TV. While I think this is clearly the way going forward, it is still in very early stages as the quality of the movies is not that great (compared to blue ray) and I understand not all carry surround.

To sum it up, I would choose a cheap LCD for the kids and take a BV7 for the living room. Put the 4K you want to spend on a temporary BV8 solution towards your next TV. You will probably be happiest.

Cheers

JK 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 02-18-2008 12:21 AM In reply to

For you: Go all the way BV9, I would if I could.

For the kids: I wouldn't spend too much.

AppleTV: Love it! Get it! I did. But know that the video quality is awful. I use it as a music server. It serves up music brilliantly.

For now Blue Ray, SD-DVD, and Cable are good options for video content.

• 02-18-2008 1:22 AM In reply to

Regarding the Apple TV - the picture quality used to be poor. Run the upgrade that came out this week and try a few of the movies in the HD Trailer section and you'll see what this thing is capable of. Its not quite Blu Ray, but its equal to the HD content from your cable or satellite receiver - also you'll get 5.1 surround through the HDMI - no need for Optical. Max picture quality is 720P, despite is now have an option for 1080P

In fact there are a couple of sites showing detailed picture comparisons for the Apple Tv Take 2 software.

• 02-18-2008 2:07 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

From my observation you are in the same dilemma as a lot of B&O lovers are in the moment. The TV Set's of B&O look great but the price tag is not always convincing. But with the whole "receiver" technology build in the TV (except the BS3) there not to many choices.

I went with a BS3 and a Panasonic Plasma (sitting room) and for bed room I bought a used BV1 and for my office I have my old BV3. I looked into purchasing a new BV8 to replace the BV3 and a BC6-26 to replace the BV1 but I could not justify the huge pricetag....

So what is the goal? If you have a Lab3 you want to connect you can do this to a e.g. Denon receiver as well. Same for the BEO4, to get all your gear remote controlled get a box (like Lintronic) to translate the IR codes. That might be the option for the gaming room.

A BS3 could be the option for your sitting room if you want the whole B&O show :-) The BS3 has some drawbacks as well but the concept is great.

Karsten 

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 02-18-2008 12:13 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

IMO opinion I would not have thought you would need more than a 32" for the Kids Bedroom. We have a Samsung 32" LCD in the our eldest's room. This gets used for either his PC or Xbox 360. It seems fine when playing 4 player games as you mention with the Wii.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 02-18-2008 2:28 PM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

Just a thought: if the kids already have PCs in their rooms (plus even 32'' LCD used as a monitor, as Graigh mentioned), it might perhaps give them (relatively cheaply) a bit more additional sources if you just bought them a Beoport box (and a TV tuner card for the PC if not already included). I know it can get fairly complicated when more family members want to use different sources in a Masterlink setup with multiple rooms, but still ... as a temporary solution it seems to be ok to me as opposed to buying expensive B&O sets for every link room where they will hardly get a chance to get used and enjoyed optimally, anyway.

I bet, Kawo, that even your old BV3 in your office doesn't show what it really can do ... unless you watch there dvds on an extra player connected to it and/or have an extra set-top box or similar etc.

• 02-18-2008 3:31 PM In reply to

I did this exactly. In fact I rented two movies, one SD and another HD. Can't explain the reason, but IMHO SD DVD still looks much much better than what I was able to get from ATV.

I'm ok with that. As an early adopter I understand that technology improves over time. Still, I will keep my Netflix account. For quality and selection, Netflix still can't be beat.

• 02-18-2008 10:31 PM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

jk1002,

Thank you for your advice.  Your point about setting up a larger B&O screen for my young ones is a very valid one.  For the record, I'm not so wealthy that I can afford to indulge my children in high-end European A/V equipment; the reason I'd wanted a bigger B&O TV in the kids' room was so that the wife and I could use it, too, as a family theater type set-up (we will literally have only the two TVs that I mentioned in my original post).  Also, thank you for the info on the HDMI splitters on Amazon.

Karsten,

Thank you for your input.

Craig,

Agreed, the kids could probably get away with a smaller panel, but as the kids' room is our biggest room in the house, we'll also be watching movies there with the kids (hence my desire to get something of quality).

Saf,

Appreciate the advice.  My kids don't have computers in their rooms yet - they're young enough that we want to monitor their computer activities (something that Apple fortunately excels at).  Also, I'm trying to go minimalist (maybe too minimalist) and use B&O hardware with Apple hardware and software - i.e. I'd prefer to use Apple's technology for moving video and audio around the house, but port it to B&O devices.

Does anyone have any opinions on the BV-8 yet?  I've tried looking through the archives, but I don't find much info.

Mark 

Mark D
  • 02-18-2008 11:29 PM In reply to

I think for occasional viewing the BV8 is just fine. In fact I think seriously about buying one - will try to get a demo next weekend with BC2 and Lab3. Is not my favourite design, the European Beocenter 6 is, however I I prefer a smaller set.

If you mostly watch movies in the kids room and they turn it over to you at night, then this is where I would put my money. So rather then lets say a BV9 and a a BV7 I would do BV 4 65" and BV8 for the small room. If they claim the room at night as well and you can not always get in when you want, then ships turn and I would reconsider.

Did you think about throwing a projector into the mix? BV4/BV7/BV9 would support that as they are based on BS3. So maybe a BV8 and BV7 plus projector could also make you happy. Personally I love my projector, it is a reasonable priced option to get a big picture without having a TV overtake a room. 

Cheers

Jk 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 02-19-2008 1:15 AM In reply to

Projector all the way.
  • 02-20-2008 8:49 AM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

Brandon,

One day (when I have a slightly larger house), I intend to get a projector.  Or....... if OLED displays fill a wall by that time, maybe I'll look at those (just kidding - I realize that this is quite far from reality).

As an aside and regarding the BV-8, is there anyone out there that has one and can comment on how you like or don't like this piece of kit?

I'd appreciate some insight in to a specific question that I asked B&O about the BV-8 and couldn't get a good answer, nor could I gleam the answer from reading a downloaded BV-8 manual:

Can you shut off the TV speakers so as to only use BeoLabs attached to the PowerLink output of the TV?  I ask because I'd like to attach an Apple TV to a BV-8 and use it to peruse my music files, but have the files play through some attached BL3s rather than the center channel.

TIA,

Mark D 

Mark D
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)