in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-03-2007 10:09 AM by DoubleU. 73 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (74 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-16-2007 7:41 PM

DVD2

Just saw the news item on Beoworld about DVD2....will it be available in the USA?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

Filed under:
  • 05-17-2007 2:04 AM In reply to

Re: DVD2

Frankly, I think it is unlikely for two main reasons

1) The DVD 1 was not produced for the US market, it was only produced for countries which used the PAL system.

2) Comsumers in general in the US are much more willing and wishing to mix and match there products, in other words use a different manufacturer for a DVD player to the TV etc.

Keith..

Regards Keith....

• 05-17-2007 4:43 AM In reply to

Not exactly sure why DVD2 would have a hard drive (not that i think it's a bad idea, i actually think it is a very good idea). HDR2 has a hard drive too. why have two different products at almost the same price when DVD2 (if it arrives with the hard drive as claimed) will be far more useable.?

I doubt that we will see it with a hard drive.

jazz

• 05-17-2007 4:53 AM In reply to

Dealer mentionned it will have a HD!

The news item on the front page says it will be same size as the DVD1, but in fact all new devices will now be like the HDR2. That is quite big, but very nice. I saw one at a dealer. Beautiful.

They are stackable on the Beosystem 3.

HDR2 and DVD2 will not fit in Beo's old style furniture, but will only fit in the new furniture they are selling.

But they are so good looking, I would not hide them!

p.

• 05-17-2007 5:02 AM In reply to

Like i said befor the DVD2 will have a 250 GB HDD.

HTH.

Pedro "Less is more"

BV7-40 MKII + BL7.2 + BL9 + BL3 + BS4 + BL4 + A9 + Earset 2 + 2 x Beo4 + BeoCom 5

• 05-17-2007 11:49 AM In reply to

I thought I saw a US DVD1 on Ebay. It does let you change the region and the product spec says it supports NTSC so I cant see why they wouldnt sell it.

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 05-17-2007 1:16 PM In reply to

I've just bought a HDR1.
    Does the DVD2 will be positioned in the same price range as the previous HDR1? 
    Or will it be 1000 Euro more expensive...

If it is in the same price range I would like to swap the HDR1 for the DVD2.

Filed under:
  • 05-17-2007 1:49 PM In reply to

• Philippe
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

Coolskin:
    I've just bought a HDR1.

Too bad indeed... The DVD2 is announced at 1500/1700€ and I truly sympathize with HDR2 owners.

Philippe

• 05-17-2007 1:51 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 137
    • Bronze Member

Keith Saunders:

Frankly, I think it is unlikely for two main reasons

1) The DVD 1 was not produced for the US market, it was only produced for countries which used the PAL system.

The DVD 1 was produced for the US market. Retailed at around 1100 dollars and came in all the colors that the Avant did. 
    -Alex
  • 05-17-2007 3:09 PM In reply to

Coolskin:
    I've just bought a HDR1.

I am not so sure. I believe the HDR1/2 can be set to timer record from the Set Top Box. I don't think the DVD2 can do this as it has no STB-C interface.  The HDR1/2 seems much more integrated than the DVD2 which is a useful addition but not quite so B&O. 

• 05-17-2007 3:23 PM In reply to

As I understand it, the DVD2 has its own analogue tuner as well as the 250GB disk from which recordings can be made to a DVD, note the word "analogue" tuner whereas the HDR2 can record from any source available. I am assuming this has been done to force customers to buy both the HDR2 and the DVD2.

Keith..

Regards Keith....

• 05-17-2007 3:26 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Keith Saunders:

As I understand it, the DVD2 has its own analogue tuner as well as the 250GB disk from which recordings can be made to a DVD, note the word "analogue" tuner whereas the HDR2 can record from any source available. I am assuming this has been done to force customers to buy both the HDR2 and the DVD2.

Keith..

Very astute, and more than likely correct!

Wink

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 05-17-2007 4:18 PM In reply to

The DVD2 will be able to record from DTV or any source connected to the TV, like the HDR2. It has not STB-C, but can use the one that is inside the TV. The only limitation is that you cannot connect a Beo device on the back of DVD2 (ie: there is no AVL on the AUX connection).
  • 05-17-2007 5:15 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

I did a little bit of reading about it ... sounds like it's going to be quite the product!

It's actually going to be the first B&O component with HDMI outputs and the first with Component RCA outputs.  It also has optical AND S/PDIF outs ... It's almost like it BELONGS in the US market ...

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
  • 05-17-2007 5:41 PM In reply to

I am pretty convinced that this is based on a Philips machine - either the DVDR7300H - or one very similar. I think you can record from another source but only directly when you are there - the timer will only work on the tuner in the DVD2. It is also SD and not HD but does add another string to B&Os bow. I would personally get the HDR2 and a recordable other make DVD player for maximum integration. Or a Sky+ box.
  • 05-18-2007 8:34 AM In reply to

Peter:
    I am pretty convinced that this is based on a Philips machine - either the DVDR7300H - or one very similar.

Hi Peter,
    again from my dealer, (he can be wrong Wink once more) DVD2 will not have a Philips machine, apparently B&O has finished their collaboration with the dvd department of the brand.

Most probably it'll be a Panasonic machine, but it could be also a Pioneer...Confused here, he wasn't not sure at all.

Santiago

• 05-18-2007 12:20 PM In reply to

Fancy a small wager on that! Laughing Downloading the 7300H manual at present and will compare and contrast! Seem very, very similar in spec and have much the same connections - front and back - and in the same places on the back - including the G-Code socket which is roundly ignored in the B&O manual! I'll let you know what the Philips manual is like!
  • 05-18-2007 12:30 PM In reply to

What is the use of a G-Code socket, first time I hear about it. Does anyone know which country has this Guide Plus thing? p.
  • 05-18-2007 12:31 PM In reply to

It's a 7300! Laughing

The backs appear identical , the front inputs are the same, though they have re-designed the front panel, and the Edit functions, although prettified by B&O, are suspiciously similar.  

• 05-18-2007 12:37 PM In reply to

wtlc2zpx:
    What is the use of a G-Code socket, first time I hear about it. Does anyone know which country has this Guide Plus thing? p.

Related to the Guide Plus+ device - switches on the STB. Doesn't seem to be used in the B&O version. 

• 05-18-2007 12:47 PM In reply to

OK, the G-code socket is like a set top box controller! but from Gemstar
  • 05-18-2007 1:07 PM In reply to

Peter:

It's a 7300! Laughing

The backs appear identical , the front inputs are the same, though they have re-designed the front panel, and the Edit functions, although prettified by B&O, are suspiciously similar.  

I think you're right again... 

Peter, you WIN !! Yes Laughing

Santiago

• 05-20-2007 3:58 PM In reply to

• Mike
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 20
    • Founder

wtlc2zpx:
    The DVD2 will be able to record from DTV or any source connected to the TV, like the HDR2. It has not STB-C, but can use the one that is inside the TV. The only limitation is that you cannot connect a Beo device on the back of DVD2 (ie: there is no AVL on the AUX connection).

What does "no AVL on the AUX connection" mean? Will the DVD2 need an IR sensor of its own instead of using the TV set to receive and transfer the commands of the Beo4 to the DVD player? In that case I think it is a design flaw, since I want to hide my HDR/DVD in a cabinet.

- Mike

• 05-20-2007 4:26 PM In reply to

Mike:

What does "no AVL on the AUX connection" mean? Will the DVD2 need an IR sensor of its own instead of using the TV set to receive and transfer the commands of the Beo4 to the DVD player? In that case I think it is a design flaw, since I want to hide my HDR/DVD in a cabinet.

Not so fast! The DVD2 has 2 Scart sockets, like the HDR1.
    But only the scart that connects to the TV has AVL, not the AUX Scart.

On the HDR1, the second scart has AVL, and when you select AUX in the menu of the HDR1, the commands of the Beo4 are passed, from the TV, through the HDR1, to the device connected on the back of the HDR1.

On the HDR1, there is a good reason for it. You can connect a V8000 on the back, and transfer HDR1 recordings on to the tape.
    When you do this, the HDR1 starts and stops the recording in the V8000 automatically.

On the DVD2, as you can save the recording onto a DVD on the same device, there are very few chance you need to connect a B&O device on the back of it. Most of the time, it will be a STB or a game console.
    Filed under:
  • 05-20-2007 4:43 PM In reply to

• Mike
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 20
    • Founder

Hi,

thanks for answering so quicky. I agree with you that connecting another B&O device on the second SCART won't be a common case (well, I cannot think of even one case, especially if you can write the content of the HDD directly to a DVD).

- Mike

Page 1 of 3 (74 items) 1 2 3 Next >