in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-27-2012 3:59 PM by Michael. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-27-2011 6:23 AM

• bart K
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-27-2011
    • Australia Gold Coast
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

BeoLab 8000s HELP!

Hi guys im new here I have been into B&O audio for many year but it's my first post here.

I picked up beolab 8000s today and they dont seem to be working with the rca..

I have tryed to plug them into my imac, i pod and many other things but there is no sound coming out of them :(

the lights just stay red.. well one of them looks more orange then red.

any help would be great! as I called the guy up that I brought them of and he said they work fine and I can't get my money back :(

I have not tryed beo link as my beo amps are to old.

Filed under: ,
  • 09-27-2011 6:52 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Re: BeoLab 8000s HELP!

How are the switches set? There is a switch (near the connectors) to change between powerlink left and right and RCA.

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 09-27-2011 6:57 AM In reply to

• bart K
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-27-2011
    • Australia Gold Coast
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Hi, well you have 3 swiches 1 and 3 is left and right and the middle is Phono right? so they are both set in the middle.

thanks

Bark K

• 09-27-2011 8:07 AM In reply to

bart777:

Hi, well you have 3 swiches 1 and 3 is left and right and the middle is Phono right? so they are both set in the middle.

Well, no... there should be a clear label next to the switch. Three positions, and as far as I remember, phono/line is all to way to one end, not in the middle.

-mika

• 09-27-2011 8:37 AM In reply to

• bart K
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-27-2011
    • Australia Gold Coast
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Hi yes you are right, its down the bottom, I have tryed all 3 and it just stays on red with no sound at all... It shound just work with my imac or ipiod pluged into it right?

I don't know whats going on but its pissing me offff!!!!!

• 09-27-2011 8:54 AM In reply to

Are you absolutely sure you are actually getting sound into the cable and the cable is not broken? If yes, that should indeed be enough.

Do you know if the previous owner used them with the line input or through Powerlink? The PL input has a separate control connection for powering up the speakers. If he only used that, it's possible that the audio signal detection circuit in the Beolab is faulty... but it would be quite odd if that is the case for both of them.

-mika

• 09-27-2011 9:04 AM In reply to

bart777:

I don't know whats going on but its pissing me offff!!!!!

Relax, can't imagine that both 8000's are faulty. You're probably doing something wrong.

• 09-27-2011 9:06 AM In reply to

Make sure your iMac sends analog music, not digital.

• 09-28-2011 1:05 AM In reply to

• bart K
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-27-2011
    • Australia Gold Coast
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Hi guys I must of tryed about 10 differnt cables, and so many diffrent sound inputs eg: ipod, imac, cd player, dvd player and others.

yes im sure there is sound going into them.

as far as I know he only used the beolink and he also said the speakers have been sitting in storage for a while.

The lights on both just stay green all the time..

this is turning into a nightmare!

• 09-28-2011 1:30 AM In reply to

Just to be sure of what you are doing, Is the ipod cable a 3,5 Mm headphone jack to 2 x RCA phono plugs, is your mac configured for the output line, is the cable from the mac the same as the cable used for the ipod, when connecting cd, dvd and other players, do you use an amplifier between the players and the speakers, if yes which amp do you use, are the speakers set to line input, when turned on without cable connected, is the light red or green ???

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 09-28-2011 2:02 AM In reply to

• bart K
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-27-2011
    • Australia Gold Coast
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

yes it is a 3.5 jack to 2 rca.

yes my mac is configerd for output line

I have tryed 2 diffrent cables for the 3.5 jack to 2 rca on both imac and ipod

I have tryed just using a cd player right into the 8000s and no sound

I have tryed pluging a amp into it (marantz amp) with a cd player and that did not work

I have tested the rca cables and all do work.

yes speakers are set to line input witch is all the way at the bottom

with out any cables pluged in the lights on both stay on green.

thanks for your hep guys I really appreciate!

• 09-28-2011 2:15 AM In reply to

Something is wrong with your speakers, without soundcables connected the light should be red, just tested on my 8000s,  rca out red light, rca in with sound green light.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 09-28-2011 2:21 AM In reply to

• bart K
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-27-2011
    • Australia Gold Coast
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Ah ok I see, sounds about right, knowing my luck!!!

I was doing some reading about it, does your relay click when you turn your 8000s on?

thanks so much for that info! :)

• 09-28-2011 3:41 AM In reply to

bart777:
    I was doing some reading about it, does your relay click when you turn your 8000s on?

My speakers does not click when I turn on the power, (or I cant hear it because of my switch clicking)but when sound comes or no sound for 1=2 minutes I hear a wery low clicking sound (stand by relae)

• 09-28-2011 4:06 AM In reply to

• bart K
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-27-2011
    • Australia Gold Coast
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Alright thank you for that info.

I think im going to open them up and see if there is anything burnt out on the inside and go from there..

thanks for your help :)

if there is any one out there with any more info on what the problem might be would be good if you could tell me please :)

• 09-28-2011 4:34 AM In reply to

Keep your head cool now. If you are going to open them, you pretty much lose all justification of getting refunds or something, as it will be impossible to show how the possible damage happened (it will be obvious that they have been opened - there's a lot of sealing that will be damaged).

Also, you will not become much wiser by just eyeballing the innards. If they both have a fault in the signal sense system (which I still can't believe), it's not going to be something that went up in smoke.

Also, your problem statements are a bit controversial as Soren already noted... are the leds green or red, as you have said both already?

Let's get back to organized troubleshooting:

• Unplug from mains
    • Disconnect all signal cables
    • Turn the switch to L or R (Powerlink input)
    • Plug in mains
    • The LED should be turn on red and remain red

Next...

• Unplug from mains
    • Turn the switch to LINE (RCA input)
    • Connect an RCA cable or your iPod cable
    • Plug in mains
    • The LED should be red, or possibly turn to green right away if the cable picks up enough interference
    • Touch the center connector of the RCA cable (or tip / center ring of 3.5mm plug) with your finger
    • The LED should turn green as the speaker powers up and you should hear a healthy loud buzz

-mika

• 09-28-2011 5:41 AM In reply to

• bart K
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-27-2011
    • Australia Gold Coast
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Alright I will keep my head cool for now :)

I can't get a refund anyways But yes I understand what you are saying

Oh alright, I will not pull them apart then.

yes that was a misstake on my part and I did have both set to middle witch ment they were both on right. I do know now where left, right and rca is.

Step 1. beolink

I had one set to left and the other set to right and all cables were discontcted and I followed your instuctions and both lights are staying in red.

pluging in the beolink cables with nothing conected to them stays green for 30sec then turns red

Step 2. RCA

unpluged all cables then plug in mains = green lights

pluged in just rca with no i pod  then plug in mains = green lights

pluged in rca to ipod then plug in mains = green lights

Touching the tip of the plug does nothing at all, there is no huming or buzzing.

thanks so much :)

• 09-28-2011 6:23 AM In reply to

OK, that makes more sense - we can now guess further Smile

Seems like the signal sense circuitry is working, as they stay in standby in Powerlink mode with nothing connected, and turn on with a cable connected (due to stray interference I suppose).

It could be that the signal path from the RCA connector is broken either at the connector or the selector switch. It is odd that both speakers would be like that... It is also strange that you don't hear any kind of hum or buzz with the cable end open, though. I believe we are ready to ditch the seller's claim that they worked Sad

The thing is these speakers have two power supplies. The standby power supply, which is on all the time, keeps the signal sense circuitry powered which also controls the indicator LED. When it sees incoming audio (or the Powerlink power on signal) it pulls a relay, which turns on the main power supply to the amplifiers. You should hear the relay click when the speaker turns on & off; unfortunately it isn't too loud and is buried inside the metal casing, so it isn't quite easy.

After that, there is still a thermal fuse for the main supply transformer and two fuses on its secondary... any of these could be blown, preventing the amp from getting power. But once again I wonder how it could be the problem on both of the speakers.

BTW the switch is up L, middle R, down RCA.

-mika

• 09-28-2011 7:41 AM In reply to

• bart K
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-27-2011
    • Australia Gold Coast
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for all that info Tournedos :)

wow so it's stll a few things that it could be,

so would you have any advise what I should do from here?

is there any more tests that i can do to troubleshoot this..

this guy here http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/33488.aspx seemed to have the same problem as mine, as my ones were put away in a box for a year or so..

• 09-28-2011 7:58 AM In reply to

I pretty much agree with that other thread - I can't think of much else to try outside the speakers any more.

I've never heard of the EQ board coming loose problem, but that wouldn't be a first Smile

If you decide to open them yourself, be careful. I didn't need a knife with mine, but the amp module sits quite tightly in the gasket material and will appear glued in (because that's what it essentially is) even after you remove the screws. Furthermore, it's very heavy (probably 2-3 kg) and the wiring looms inside have very little loose length. Lay the speaker down on its back so you don't rip anything off when the module decides to let go.

-mika

• 02-27-2012 3:59 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-31-2011
    • Båstad, Sweden
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

What happened? Always interesting to follow up :)

Page 1 of 1 (21 items)