in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-27-2012 2:34 PM by valve1. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-25-2012 12:18 PM

Beomaster 6000 quadrophonic

Hi all!

I dont know if anyone will have an answer to my question or if someone might know who i should be asking elsewhere but i would be grateful of any advice! My Father has a Beomaster 6000 4 channel in mint condition, along with a Beochord 5000 Tape Deck, Beomaster 6000 Command Remote control, four Beobox 560's. It is in Rosewood with quadrophonic parallel tracking and has a working cartridge and a spare cartridge. Although he loves it, it has been sitting in the loft boxed up for at least 25 years so he has agreed that it needs a better home. How would i go about selling it and does anyone know how much i should be asking roughly? Many Thanks!  

• 01-25-2012 12:25 PM In reply to

Re: Beomaster 6000 quadrophonic

Welcome to BeoWorld!

All really great stuff.

Perhaps someone here might have an interest. Short of that, the usual suspects -eBay, etc...

As far as values, I would check recent eBay transactions.

You might be surprised that the remote may command (sorry, bad pun) the most money!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-25-2012 12:44 PM In reply to

I take it you have the Beogram 6000 as well. I would definitely sell these on eBay - you should list the components separately though on the whole, I would put the Beomaster and remote together unless you have a very silly offer for the remote. The Beocord is unlikely to work properly and is worth little but the Beomaster and Beogram are both highly sought after. The remote is also very desirable - don't accept a cheap price via PM here!!

If these are boxed, they are worth a serious amount of money - good photos and descriptions are a must - do so and you can expect a very good response. Do you have the trumpet stands to go with the S60s? They will also add a considerable amount to the price received.

I have this system though I have disposed of the speakers and the Beogram is now used else where. It is not the best performing system even of its time but is a particularly beautiful one - possibly the most advanced design B&O has made. Quad records still have a certain mysticism to them - in truth, they were a fascinating precursor to surround sound and although they are likely to actually sound pretty poor as the reproduction is very dependent on record wear and a cartridge at the very top of its game, they are still very collectable.

Happy to offer any advice you need.

• 01-25-2012 12:48 PM In reply to

Prices are tricky - we are in a recession - however a mint boxed fully working BM6000 with remote should get £400+, the Beogram with working MMC6000 a similar amount and the speakers will get about £150 a pair - especially with trumpet stands. The Beocord is probably going to struggle unless it really does work!! (I wouldn't trust mine with a cassette these days!)

• 01-25-2012 3:06 PM In reply to

I'd be cautious about the value of the Beomaster as if it has been boxed for 25 years, it is also very unlikely to work. I bought a spares unit for £50 and had it fixed up for my own collection, then I later sold it on for a substantial profit when I decided to scale back my collecting. Non-working Beomaster 6000s are likely to cost three figures to fix, and the pool of people willing and able to carry out the work is small. Everyone wants a working one in their collection because there are so few out there!

Having said that, I'd give £50 for a dead one again.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 01-25-2012 4:43 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

I can't imagine having 4 S60s just sitting unused for 25 years.  Surely 3 of them could be LCR in a 5 channel surround system with say, 2 S40s for the rear.

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 01-26-2012 4:57 AM In reply to

Thanks for all the replies! It is fully working, we got it out a couple of weeks ago and have been using it all since. It is such a shame as it is lovely but it just takes up so much room!

• 01-26-2012 11:35 AM In reply to

It is quite large! The Beomaster is under my bed at present! If it is all working, get it on eBay - photograph it with all the lights on and show pictures of the boxes and manuals if you have them. Let us know how you get on.

• 02-27-2012 6:50 AM In reply to

Hello John,

I have a perfectly working Beomaster 6000, bought by my father in 1974, and I am desperatly looking for one steel replace cover [wich was lost], for the big round tunning button, and also a spare glass [mine has a broken corner].

Do you steel have the spare unit, so I can possibly buy you those items, or can you give any suggestion?

regards,

Cristóvão Ferreira [Portugal]

• 02-27-2012 1:48 PM In reply to

• valve1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-27-2009
    • Dublin Ireland
    • Posts 213
    • Gold Member

fonsecaf:
    and also a spare glass [mine has a broken corner].

I also have a nice bm 6000 (restored by Dillen)which has a chipped off corner on the "glass top"  so if any one has one lying around, I am interested!
  • 02-27-2012 2:22 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

unfortunately folks, from what I can see any 6000 quad with a nice to mint exterior is extremely unlikely to be a writeoff internally, unless hit by a thunderstorm!!!

Olly.

• 02-27-2012 2:34 PM In reply to

• valve1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-27-2009
    • Dublin Ireland
    • Posts 213
    • Gold Member

Step1:
    unless hit by a thunderstorm!!!

.....its a ill wind....s**t happens! :-))

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)