in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-25-2012 1:12 AM by beopiranha. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (24 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-08-2011 3:04 PM

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

Beosound 9000 end of life...

Well, it has finally happened, the end is near for what has been IMHO, the MOST iconic B&O product ever made. I just received an email from one of the local B&O dealers saying I had better order fast because in a few months the BS9000 will be extinct. *sigh* The product which began my obsession is on it's deathbead. Is it weird that when I read those words in the communication, that my heart sank a little bit? For a piece of electronics? B&O seems to have that effect on many of us. I am sure people have their own eulogies for the BS9000, maybe this thread can house our thoughts. S
    Love B&O, but no longer addicted.
  • 09-08-2011 3:29 PM In reply to

• Hungedu
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2009
    • Ambergris Caye, Belize
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beosound 9000 end of life...

It was bound to happen sooner or later. Just make sure you have yours before it's no longer available. It was love at first sight for me as well. I was working for B&O back in 1996 when it was unveiled at our store. I bought one immediately and still have it today. I no longer have a CD collection, but kept my favorite 6 CDs just to display and play in my 9000 - including the first CD I ever owned.

I guess it's kind of like a woman whom you fall in love with. She was beautiful, slender and young when you had your infatuation. Now she's middle aged, pudgy, plain, and possibly your wife. You still love her, but the magic is gone... or maybe still there.

BeoVision 7-55 3D, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound 8, BeoLab 7-6, BeoLab Penta III, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 2, LC-1, BeoTime (analog clock), Form 1 headphones, Beo 4 remote.

• 09-08-2011 7:54 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I received the same email, Sal. I've said it before on here recently, I will miss it - a lot! Even though I can't buy one I can't help but feel a bit depressed about it. 

I'm still a bit shaken by how fast B&O ripped all but one (I think) CD player from the audio range. But I understand, the CD is going extinct...

[:'(]

Evan

• 09-09-2011 7:09 AM In reply to

@ Hungedu isn`t it the same with us guys getting older etc?! ;-)

Personally I am very happy that I have got my BeoSound 9000 but I also only have my most important CDs in it, all the rest is on my NAS.

Well, from my point of view the situation is the same with old cars, we love them, care and might repair them but they are no longer build.

From a business perspectiv Bang and Olufsen is making the right step.

Beo Time, A8, EarSet3i, EarSet2, BC2, BC6, BL3, BL11, Apple TV1, BEO Ballpen, BL2000, BL3500

Christmas 2010 Prize Draw 1st winner. BeoSound 9000 Mk3 

Thank you

• 09-09-2011 10:58 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Sal:
    Well, it has finally happened, the end is near for what has been IMHO, the MOST iconic B&O product ever made.

I'd like to buy an updated Apple Cube (which is in the Design Museum) but can't. I've somehow managed to get over it :)

• 09-10-2011 6:26 AM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

I don't get it really, are they really not selling any of them these days that it makes business sense to discontinue it?

The costs of producing those systems must be negligible now, the cost of the R&D and setting up the assembly line were paid for years ago. Could they not treat it a bit like the headphones - not a flagship product like the TVs or Lab5s but still a classy piece of kit that they'll be happy to order for you?

• 09-10-2011 7:11 AM In reply to

I think it's no good decision to discontinue BS 9000 because the best design of an audio product ever!

I have my BS 9000 on the floor stand and placed an IPod dock on left side of the top, it fits very well. So what B&O should have done? Beosound 9000 Mk 4 with integrated IPod dock connector! So you can hear CD's and FM radio but also MP3 and internet radio with docked IPhone/IPod touch!

Regards

Räuber
  • 09-10-2011 8:31 AM In reply to

Calvin:

I don't get it really, are they really not selling any of them these days that it makes business sense to discontinue it?

The costs of producing those systems must be negligible now

Not necessarily - it might well be an expensive device to produce when you take into account the factory floor plan and all other facilities it reserves. Possibly the resources are needed for something else and getting this out of the way saves some other investments.

Of course the BS9000 still has a certain following, but I would expect that most people that aspire having a 6 CD changer would have bought one already. I wouldn't be surprised if the sales of BS9000 had declined rapidly during the last few years.

-mika

• 09-10-2011 12:18 PM In reply to

It's a little more complex than it might appear at face. A) any product that's produced demands time & space in the manufacturing facility that could otherwise be used for other products, B) the 9000 still uses very costly materials and man-power, so the cost is still high, versus a product that's basically stamped of plastic & pot-metal in China, C) the product actually does have to be re-engineered continuously as parts drop out of production, D) it doesn't really sell anymore. 

Like most folks, I'm thrilled to own one and wouldn't give it up, but at the same time I wouldn't buy one today. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to pour $5,000+ into a product that plays a dying media. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 09-12-2011 1:17 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

TripEnglish:

Like most folks, I'm thrilled to own one and wouldn't give it up, but at the same time I wouldn't buy one today. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to pour $5,000+ into a product that plays a dying media. 

From the "I'm Just Sayin' Files":

And every month I read in Stereophile about another turntable/tonearm/cartridge combination coming on the market at $10,000+.....

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 09-12-2011 7:04 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Rich:

And every month I read in Stereophile about another turntable/tonearm/cartridge combination coming on the market at $10,000+.....

There are a lot of people with large old vinyl collections. There are also young kids I know who take interest in these old collections. However, they borrow them, and a turntable, and digitise the music to their computer! I know a lad who borrowed a lot of Pink Floyd LPs and recorded the sound as he claimed the vinyl source was better than from CD.

However, he doesn't intend to start building his own vinyl collection. The market for these is diminishing, but still exists. And is one reason why these collectors will pay good money to hear their old LPs on the best possible equipment. Doesn't mean it's suddenly going to result in vinyly reappearing (there are no high street shops to stock them en-masse anyhow).

• 09-13-2011 5:11 AM In reply to

• BeoIce
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Recklinghausen, Germany
    • Posts 281
    • Founder

I dreamed of a beosound  9000 for more than 10 years and now the time has come that I can afford one. Just right in time before this iconic peace of b&o history will end its production.

I really like cds. mp3 is something you can't hold in your hands, something you can't show someone. mp3s don't have covers or images.

Having 6 cds visible in a player with such an incredible design will revalue any room.

I think b&o should have done a mk4 version with ipod dock as Raeuber said

Regards

Martin

BeoSound 9000 MK III, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 11, BeoCenter 2300, BeoSound Century, BeoVision MX4000/MX7000 & BeoCom 4

Samsung UE40B7090, Samsung HT-WS1G, Technisat HD8-S, Sony PS3, Logitech PS3 IR-BT-Adapter & Lintronic TT455-RT-238

• 09-13-2011 10:53 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

• 09-13-2011 7:00 PM In reply to

moxxey:

I wouldn't be surprised if it happens even sooner. I haven't bought a CD in years, all of my CDs have been boxed up and sent into storage, and I haven't used my BeoCenter 2 since the BeoSound 5 came out.

• 09-14-2011 2:29 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

beojeff:

I wouldn't be surprised if it happens even sooner. I haven't bought a CD in years, all of my CDs have been boxed up and sent into storage, and I haven't used my BeoCenter 2 since the BeoSound 5 came out.

Sadly the same here. I sold my BC2 and my BS4 is really just a highly-priced radio and a device connected to an AirPort Express. I've ripped all my CDs and are stored on a NAS drive.

• 09-14-2011 2:57 AM In reply to

beojeff:

moxxey:

Hmm, I just bought 3 CD's because I could not get them in lossless format, and since I have the BM5 with BL9 connected, then I will prefer to have a high quality source, which is lossless and not MP3 320 or WMA 192.
    But I would have downloaded the CD's if they were available in lossless format. 

There is something about B&O.....

• 09-14-2011 3:03 AM In reply to

Me too - never would by music (or software or games) in an digital store; I want to have "something" in my hands not only data

nowadays with clouding the threat off data-loss has gone but nevertheless I would like to have "the album" not only a directory with files;

same with books - have you read a book on a digital device?

• 09-14-2011 3:28 AM In reply to

f5434964:
    Me too - never would by music (or software or games) in an digital store; I want to have "something" in my hands not only data

Same here, not to mention if I want to give an album as a gift. Having said that, I very rarely buy new CDs for myself, as flea markets are full of them, and if I want a particular album, it is usually available in an online auction...

I have ripped my CDs but actually haven't set up any way to conveniently listen to them. I'm wary of moving to that environment as it would rob the music of its album context and turn it to downloaded, disposable single tracks - something that I'm afraid would destroy a lot of what music used to mean to me ages ago.

f5434964:

Not me, but it seems that mass consumers of literature are quite happy, as their other option would be a bagful of paperbacks, which aren't that great as collector's objects anyway.

Back on topic, I never got the idea of CD changers in general. Bit like a fancy, mechanized bookshelf that can take six books...

-mika

• 09-14-2011 4:20 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Well, I really like the Beosound 9000 a lot - very nice system.
    BUT: It is a lot of fun and entertaining as to use digital media, it is a matter of GUI.

Tried the Ipad / Sonos / Napster set-up? (LINK YOUTUBE)
    This is what I use an I am VERY satisfied with it.

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 09-14-2011 5:47 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

beolion:

Hmm, I just bought 3 CD's because...

The point is, fewer people are worried about top quality sound. Sadly the average home user prefers ease over quality. It's the same with preferring video streaming over Blu-ray. When the majority move to downloading audio, fewer shops will offer CDs - which is what the guy from HMV is suggesting. That HMV will naturally have to reduce the number of CDs in order for them to make a profit as, soon, fewer people will be buying them :(

• 09-14-2011 5:56 AM In reply to

f5434964:

nowadays with clouding the threat off data-loss has gone but nevertheless I would like to have "the album" not only a directory with files;

Yes - I have a Kindle and it is superb. The device allows you to increase the text size which is a huge boon for those of us with less than perfect vision. Very easy to use and compact.

• 09-14-2011 7:14 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Love my BS9000 and use it daily (but mostly for radio Embarrassed ). I will never get rid of it, but on the other side I wouldn´t buy one today (had chosen BM5 instead).

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 02-22-2012 7:59 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Talked to a dealer today who bought my old ouverture via ebay and asked him why he did so.... ?

"Do you know that now a young guy is the ceo of B&O?
    They dropped / are dropping all the cd players.
    More apple / ipod etc. based products and digital music.

BUT

My clients are a reflection of society - getting older - not everybody wants a computer / network storage etc. in the house.
    They want to enjoy their CD collection!
    So - what to offer your clients that are not willing to change to digital music?"

For him the best sellers were the glas door systems (ouverture (!), BS3000 etc.).
    He is buying those to be able to make a complete offer WITH a B&O CD Player classic ;-
    (obviously he does not like the BS4).

Just wanted to share this little story.

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 02-25-2012 1:12 AM In reply to

Hi Guys,

my first post here after years as just a reader...

I'm an owner of many B&O products since long years and I think the BS9000 is the best B&O product ever made. It has Unique design, high tech mechanic (still), cd changer and with today cabeling technology you can integrate everything (like Ipod/Ipad/Airport etc. as well as a PC/Mac). I've just sold my old one (MK2) and get MK3 from LifeStyle AV (Not delivered yet)

I found B&O decision about BS9000 is terrible since CD's will not die at least next 10 years. Here in Germany CD's sold much more then expected last year. Why? There are a lot of middle age or older cliente outside. They prefere something in hand and something easy. They do not want to become computer freak just to listen to music. I personally also use digital format to here music but when we are talking about the sound quality nobody can tell me that digital format delivers similar quality as CD's. I do/can not accept this.

My dealer thinks that BS4 will be the only cd player from B&O in the future because of its easy integration possiblity with its 4 a.aux. 

Page 1 of 1 (24 items)