in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-23-2012 5:25 PM by bsantini. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-22-2012 11:24 AM

• KMA
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Posts 101
    • Silver Member

AR coating on Beovision 10

I have a concern about the AR coating on the contrast glass of my BV10. Here's what happened:

I used an Eye1 sensor to calibrate the color profile of my Mac, which uses the Beovision as its screen. Using the sensor, I made a smudge on the contrast glass. I thought it would be safe to remove it with OptiClean, a cleaning fluid suitable for even delicate camera lenses and coated eyeglasses.

Well, the OptiClean left some residue on the contrast screen. So I took a soft cloth, dampened with water, to remove it. As it happens, even water leaves streaks on the glass, so I had to work with a damp and dry cloth to get a perfect, shiny result with no visible marks or streaks on the screen.

But in doing this, is it possible that I damaged the AR coating? How easily is the coating damaged? How can I see if the coating has been "worn off"? Has anyone seen a damaged AR coating and what it looks like?

I am very careful with my equipment and keep everything in perfect condition. So the idea of a damaged AR coating bothers me -- to the extent that I asked my dealer for the price of a replacement glass, but since a new front glass for BV10 comes assembled with the aluminum frame, a replacement costs about 1900 euros.

To my eyes, the cleaned screen reflects light somehow differently than before cleaning, but I may as well be seeing faults where there are none. That can happen when you start looking for imperfections in the first place :(

Does anyone have experience / information on the durability of the AR coating?

KMA

Current setup: BeoVision 10-46 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand) with Apple TV 2 (FireCore), Sony BDP-S780, Mac Mini, BeoLab 11 (silver), Beo5, BeoSound 8 (red speaker covers). Accessories: A8 Earphones, wine bottle coasters.

B&O product history, in chronological order since 1990, after the onset of the treaded BeoVirus (I tend to upgrade/change my setup "infrequently"): BeoSystem 2500 (with blue speaker covers), BeoLink 5000, BeoSystem 7000 (complete; silver/black), BeoLink 7000, RedLine 60.2, BeoVox Penta, BeoVision MX4000 (black, motorized floor stand), BeoCord VX5000 (black), BeoSystem 4500 (complete), BeoCenter 9500, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoVision Avant (original, 28" AR, VHS, green), BeoCenter 2300, BeoVision 3-32 (grey speaker frame, AR, motorised cabinet), DVD1 (grey), BeoCord V8000 (grey), Beo4, BeoSound Ouverture (w/ floor cabinet stand), BeoVision Avant RF (grey, 32", AR, VHS), BeoSound 9000, BeoCenter AV5 (blue), BeoVision 1 (yellow, motorized floor stand), Beo1, BeoSound Century (yellow), BeoCenter 1 (blue, AR, motorized floor stand), BeoSound 1 (silver, floor stand), BeoVision Avant RF DVD (grey, 32", AR), BeoVision 7-32 MkI (AR, motorized floor stand), BeoLab 3 (black), BeoSound 2, BeoVision 10-40 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand).

• 02-22-2012 1:21 PM In reply to

Re: AR coating on Beovision 10

We clean our AR screens in the store everyday just using breath and a microfibre cloth, and occasionally a small spray of window cleaner onto a cloth.

You won't have damaged the AR coating - I have seen a couple of AR screens that for whatever reason have been compromised and the coating kind of peels away leaving very obvious holes.

The coating is covered under warranty but like I said, I doesn't fade away - it peels off. So enjoy and don't worry!

BV7-40MK4BR,7-32,6-22,6-23,6-26,BSnd5,9000,BLab9,3,4000,2,BCom2,6000,Btalk1200,LC2s,Lutron

• 02-22-2012 2:02 PM In reply to

I wouldn't worry. I've cleaned my BV10 screen several times.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 02-22-2012 3:20 PM In reply to

• KMA
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Posts 101
    • Silver Member

Thanks for your reassurance.

One thing less to worry about :)

KMA

Current setup: BeoVision 10-46 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand) with Apple TV 2 (FireCore), Sony BDP-S780, Mac Mini, BeoLab 11 (silver), Beo5, BeoSound 8 (red speaker covers). Accessories: A8 Earphones, wine bottle coasters.

B&O product history, in chronological order since 1990, after the onset of the treaded BeoVirus (I tend to upgrade/change my setup "infrequently"): BeoSystem 2500 (with blue speaker covers), BeoLink 5000, BeoSystem 7000 (complete; silver/black), BeoLink 7000, RedLine 60.2, BeoVox Penta, BeoVision MX4000 (black, motorized floor stand), BeoCord VX5000 (black), BeoSystem 4500 (complete), BeoCenter 9500, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoVision Avant (original, 28" AR, VHS, green), BeoCenter 2300, BeoVision 3-32 (grey speaker frame, AR, motorised cabinet), DVD1 (grey), BeoCord V8000 (grey), Beo4, BeoSound Ouverture (w/ floor cabinet stand), BeoVision Avant RF (grey, 32", AR, VHS), BeoSound 9000, BeoCenter AV5 (blue), BeoVision 1 (yellow, motorized floor stand), Beo1, BeoSound Century (yellow), BeoCenter 1 (blue, AR, motorized floor stand), BeoSound 1 (silver, floor stand), BeoVision Avant RF DVD (grey, 32", AR), BeoVision 7-32 MkI (AR, motorized floor stand), BeoLab 3 (black), BeoSound 2, BeoVision 10-40 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand).

• 02-22-2012 4:14 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

KMA:

Well, the OptiClean left some residue on the contrast screen. So I took a soft cloth, dampened with water, to remove it. As it happens, even water leaves streaks on the glass

Yes, definitely do not use any cleaner, even LCD cleaner, on the BV10 or BV7. I made this mistake and you spend ages trying to clean it off - it smears around the glass.

The best method to clean the BV10 glass is hot breath and a microfibre cloth, as someone mentioned above. Nothing else works.

Mind you, I didn't rub off the AR coating using the LCD cleaner, it just lead to smears (which were nearly impossible to remove!).

• 02-22-2012 5:48 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-31-2011
    • Båstad, Sweden
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

Sorry for asking a question not exactly related but I wonder why the BV10 is available with and without the AR coating. Does it look different (bad) with AR?

Or is it just an option so that B&O can charge extra for a tv that already has a premium price? I thought the reason for putting glass in front of a panel was to reduce glare and enhance contrast but on BV10 they seem to have just put a glass on the "standard" model. But on BV6, BV7, Avant, MX etc they always are glare-eliminating, contrast-enhancing glass-panels right?

• 02-23-2012 7:36 AM In reply to

Even standard ar cleaners, appropriate for camera lenses (which are less delicate than the AR on B&O flat screens) is not advisable. Try a high quality flat panel cleaning kit, like Monster's. The cleaning and appropriate nap microfiber cloth are included. This is strictly what I use to clean my BV9, BS 5 and Avant.

Being in the eyeglass field, and also having been product manager for a high end telescope/eyepiece company, I have quite a bit of experience with varying quality AR.

B
  • 02-23-2012 11:00 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

Michael I have just ordered a 10-40(black frame with a red fret) and in the UK at least it isn't an option, thank god. Check with your local store I guess!

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 02-23-2012 1:37 PM In reply to

Over the past 14 years I have cleaned Avants, BV7-32, two 7-40's and now a BV10-46. The method has been the same without any damage to my equipment as far as I can detect. Try at your own risk.

1. Plenty of kitchen roll

2. Blue windolene (isopropanyl??)

Method:-

1. Spray cleaner on to kitchen roll. Get quite wet.

2. Clean/wet an area on the screen no more than 200mm x 200mm

3. Quickly wipe-off and buff with CLEAN, DRY, kitchen towl

4. Repeat until all surface is clean and smear free.

The trick is a) to wip/buff the cleaner before it dries to give a streak-free finish b) dont touch the screen with anything c) do it very infreequently.

Difficult with the BV7's because of the DVD loader.

I know people wont like this, cite the cr@p in the manuals etc.. but hey, my TV, it works and I cannot percieve any damage whatsoever.

There.

• 02-23-2012 3:37 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Michael:

Sorry for asking a question not exactly related but I wonder why the BV10 is available with and without the AR coating. Does it look different (bad) with AR?

Or is it just an option so that B&O can charge extra for a tv that already has a premium price? I thought the reason for putting glass in front of a panel was to reduce glare and enhance contrast but on BV10 they seem to have just put a glass on the "standard" model. But on BV6, BV7, Avant, MX etc they always are glare-eliminating, contrast-enhancing glass-panels right?

Michael, I think you're looking at it backwards.  The BV-10 was supposed to provide a 'somewhat' more downscale TV to fit between, the BS-3 based TV's and the BV-8's and 6's.  Looked at from that view-point the plain glass is a way to make the 10 even more affordable for certain clients.  

As it turns out more than 90% of the 10's are ordered with the treated glass, and I had heard that B&O/UK might drop the option; but I'm not in a position to know.  Here in my shop we simply don't mention it unless the client really starts fishing for a lower price.

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 02-23-2012 5:14 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-31-2011
    • Båstad, Sweden
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

Aha! Well, I think the prices might be a bit different in sweden since the BV10 is quite expensive but of course not a BV7 eventough not far from. I think the Bv10 is more like a bv7 than bv6. Here in sweden they put the price on display without ar-coating and without dvb-receiver(which is extremely weird since dvb is the only tv-signals available) and excluding the beo4. The bv10 without ar,remote and dvb costs 64 000 SEK here. For that price I really can't understand how they can exclude a coating that costs only dollars to put on, same with dvb, even samsung lcds for 5000 SEK has dvb-t/c/s2 nowadays..

• 02-23-2012 5:25 PM In reply to

I would strongly caution  against using straight alchohol.  If there are any micro voids in the coating, you might precipitate a peel back.

B

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)