in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-16-2012 12:49 PM by rabble. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-19-2010 12:33 PM

• rabble
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 75
    • Bronze Member

Beogram 3000 type 5228 problem

Hi,

i just aquired what appeared to be a perfect new turntable. Looks as good as the day it was purchased. Unfortunatly when I turn it on, all that happens is a click and the orange light is on. I can turn the table by hand  and the tone arm does everything that it's supposed to . The belt came off after turning it by hand, but in any case the motor does not turn by itself. The owner told me that it has been standing for four years unused, but that it played perfectly the last time. He is willing to give me the money back, but as the unit is so good looking, I really would like to save it if it's possible.

Andrew

Andrew

• 11-19-2010 2:47 PM In reply to

• rabble
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 75
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beogram 3000 type 5228 problem

Well, I seem to have found the problem.

I took the platter off and saw that the motor was not spinning, gave it a twist and it sprung to life and now seems to be Ok. I guess four years of sitting will do that. Second problem is that the belt slips off immediately, so I guess it's gone a bit slack. I read somewhere that I could shorten the belt by cutting it and glueing back together with super glue. Since I have an old spare one that is also slack, I'll see how that works as a temporary solution.

Andrew

Andrew

• 11-19-2010 3:08 PM In reply to

• rabble
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 75
    • Bronze Member

That was the quickest fix I ever made. All is working fine. Now I need to find a new belt and some records to put the whole system back togethor.

You can see my other post called Beolab 5000 system 

Andrew

Andrew

• 11-19-2010 4:34 PM In reply to

Well done! I suggest Martin could have been correct and the belt had slipped and jammed the motor. If you cut the belt, do it at an angle so you have a larger surface to glue.

• 11-20-2010 8:26 AM In reply to

If it uses the same motor as the Beogram 120x and 2000, you will need to treat the motor bearings with new oil. Otherwise the turtable will spin too slowly. Reoiling the sintered bearings is done by cooking them in oil under vacuum.

• 11-20-2010 12:04 PM In reply to

• rabble
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 75
    • Bronze Member

Hi,

seems to be complicated, I'll probably look for another one or bring it in for service if I have a problem.

Thanks for the tip.

Andrew

Andrew

• 02-16-2012 12:49 PM In reply to

• rabble
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 75
    • Bronze Member

Hi,

I'm back after a few months. System is great to have, but I noticed that the turntable is in fact running slow. It seems to speed up after about 10 minutes but is still a bit on th slow side even though the speed is at Max.

I did remove the back of the turntable but did not really see anything that I could easily access. Everything looks new and I can't see any "old" grease.

Do I have to take off the back of the Motor, and if I do will anything fall out?The back of the motor has a few screws that are quite tight. Will something happen to the alignment if I loosen these.

Any help would be apreciated.

Andrew

Andrew

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)