in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-30-2012 7:35 PM by Dave. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-25-2012 3:20 PM

• ari
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-21-2012
    • South Africa
    • Posts 30
    • Bronze Member

Shipping/Freighting BL5's + other goods from UK - advice please

Hi guys

Recently purchased a pair of BL5's from UK and the dealer quoted  +-GBP 1000 for air freight of the BL5's, it seems with no insurance, from UK to South Africa. I would obviously like to have them insured.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of companies to use to air freight the speakers, and if anyone here happens to have dimensions and weight of the packaged (in the box and on the wooden pallete) goods? I will try to get the details from my dealer, but was wondering if anyone here knew first?

Does this price seem right? I understand they are big and heavy items, but it seems rather excessive on first impression, especially for no insurance.

And again if anyone has recommendations/advive on which companies to use to air freight the speakers to South Africa from UK then I would appreciate it.

I also want to ship a BL 7-2 and stand, and cables. Would dealer cables be better, or should I rather buy from SoundsHeavenly here on the forum?

Thanks!

Filed under: ,
  • 01-25-2012 3:37 PM In reply to

Re: Shipping/Freighting BL5's + other goods from UK - advice please

Hi Ari,

To me GBP 1000,- does not seem that excessive. Is this door to door or airport to airport (who will pick up in SA etc.?)

I would for sure insure them, but as long as theyare secure packed (in original packaging) preferably, than they will survive. I am sure that the dealer inthe UK can hlp you with that.

There are other threads on this forum about (un)packing the BL5 .. it is indeed a big box on a pallet.

Good luck and let us know how it will go!

BS9000, Beolab 3000, Beocenter 7002, RL60.2, beo4, BV10

• 01-25-2012 3:38 PM In reply to

Ferdinand:

Hi Ari,

To me GBP 1000,- does not seem that excessive. Is this door to door or airport to airport (who will pick up in SA etc.?)

I would for sure insure them, but as long as theyare secure packed (in original packaging) preferably, than they will survive. I am sure that the dealer inthe UK can hlp you with that.

There are other threads on this forum about (un)packing the BL5 .. it is indeed a big box on a pallet.

Good luck and let us know how it will go!

I think that price sounds fair.

Could "Parcel Pro" insure the shipment as a third party?

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 01-25-2012 3:53 PM In reply to

• ari
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-21-2012
    • South Africa
    • Posts 30
    • Bronze Member

Thanks all.

Ok good, just wanted to get a second opinion on the 1000GBP as I don't have much experience with shipping such large goods. I was advised it is Airport to Airport, so I will have to go and pick them up in 2 cars probably or rent a van Whistle

I will check out Parcel Pro thanks!

The problem is here in South Africa, a lot of items go "missing" in Customs... So I will be insuring them against theft mainly rather than damage, but obviously insurance covers both dangers.

Thanks and I will let you guys know how it goes!

• 01-25-2012 4:06 PM In reply to

Re: Shipping/Freighting BL5's other goods from UK - advice please

I hAd a quote of 375gbp including insurance to ship bv1032 from uk to hong kong if that is of any help

Vince
  • 01-26-2012 1:31 AM In reply to

• ari
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-21-2012
    • South Africa
    • Posts 30
    • Bronze Member

Thanks, that sort of gives me an idea. Appreciate it. With which company?

• 01-26-2012 12:10 PM In reply to

I ship my BL5's around with me everywhere I get assigned. Fabbed a couple of flight cases and used the original poly-packing. After 9 years goinal all around the world, they are still in perfect condition.

BL5's are 61kg each and add another 20 on for packing and the pallet. More if you use plywwod or flight case.

Airfreight will be exceptionally high because it is a) a one off (or rather two-off), b) high weight and bulky.

From the UK to RSA, I would suggest sea freight is significantly cheaper as it is a major trading route. From port to port, I would be shocked if sea freight would be more than a week. Customs will take longer.

Save your money, the difference will be a few days and you will be several hundreds of pounds better off.

• 01-26-2012 3:26 PM In reply to

• ari
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-21-2012
    • South Africa
    • Posts 30
    • Bronze Member

Thanks! Only problem is I live in Joburg - nowhere near a port such as Durban

• 01-26-2012 5:34 PM In reply to

We have shipped via air from Heathrow to Joburg in the past and this price seems fair. The last time we shipped to a bonded warehouse via DSV with insurance the cost was about £900. The problem is the shipping rate changes daily so secure your price quickly!
  • 01-26-2012 5:52 PM In reply to

• ari
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-21-2012
    • South Africa
    • Posts 30
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the advice! Good to hear other peoples experiences.

Out of interest - Do DSV deal with public too?

• 01-28-2012 3:04 AM In reply to

Ask your dealer for a quote as DSV are the main shipper for B&O, in the UK we have our own contact. The reason for using DSV came about because they know the cubic measurement of the product on its own pallet, we used FEDEX before and were quoted one price based on the measurements we gave them and when it came to it the price went up by 30% because they then place the consignment on its own pallet taking up more space, we were not impressed or amused so decided to use DSV and the client then makes their own arrangement for collection from the airport/ports bonded warehouse.
  • 01-30-2012 7:35 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Mr10Percent:

I ship my BL5's around with me everywhere I get assigned. Fabbed a couple of flight cases and used the original poly-packing. After 9 years goinal all around the world, they are still in perfect condition.

BL5's are 61kg each and add another 20 on for packing and the pallet. More if you use plywwod or flight case.

G'day,

Sorry if this is off topic, but i'm curious, i've read your posts in the past and remember you saying you travel with your speakers; how often do you get moved around and who unloads and installs the beasts??

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)